Oil coming out the breathers cant make it stop
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 49

Thread:
Oil coming out the breathers cant make it stop

  1. #1
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default Oil coming out the breathers cant make it stop

    Engine is fresh at first i had oil bleedingnout everywhere it could find a hole found that my pan evap system that uses the bungs in the headers the the anti backfire deelies were stopped shut ok think i figured it out so i put breathers in the valve covers now its just running oil out the breathers no i have did a lead down and the worst cyl is holding 72# when putting in 80 the rest were around 79#'s and it compression checks over 200 i dont have a pcv and the valve covers are not baffeled but the breathers are not over any rocker arms i was thinking about doing a pcv and a remote mounted breather can or do you thing there is some underling cause for all this the engine is a 455 olds forged pistons file fit total seal rings any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member hellnback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Dallas TX
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Little or no windage tray,too much oil, put drain backs in heads, list goes on.
    It may be OLD ,it may be Slow ... but at least it's MOBILE !!!

  4. #3
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,855

    Default

    What kind of breathers?
    If For Some Reason I Do Something Worthy Of Recognition. God Provided The Ability And Deserves The Credit.


    QE 439 Twin Turbo

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jamesblown97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    st george ut
    Posts
    265

    Default

    when you built the motor did you do any of the olds oiling mods while it was apart. The oil returns on the olds are smaller than the oil fills and need to be drilled out or the heads fill up with oil and start pumping out the breathers. What heads are on it? I know Ka heads already have plugs in the back of the head and you can run external oil return lines to your pan but you have to weld bungs or nipples into your oil pan.

  7. #5
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

  8. #6
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I am still stuck on why he removed the pan evac.
    Because his anti backfire deelies were stopped shut

  9. #7
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    Because his anti backfire deelies were stopped shut
    I have always tried to figure out exactly what happens when a backfire hits an open header that is so much different than normal exhaust flow at say... 8000 RPM. Exactly how do you create that much pressure down the hose on an open header??
    Can you build up enough to blow a valve cover off or split an oil pan. What really happens if it back fires with an open header. Any chance the vacuum in the engine spikes when that blast heads out the collector?? MMMMmmmm

    Even more curious. What were they clogged with????



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 07-01-2013 at 03:38 PM.

  10. #8
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default

    All the oiling mod in timminators olds artical were done it has pro comp alum heads i worked over the drains in the heads smoothed out all the holes in the block but i do not have external drain backs but it drains pretty fast i can fill pan with 6 qts of oil in not too much more time than a sbc bbc ect i have no windage tray at all and i have the correct amount of oil according to milidons specs and im not sure what te anyi backfire things emeere stopped up with bu i can tell you you could not blow/suck through them at all i dont know whats in them but i would assume they were rusty inside cause under the hose they were pretty rusty and regulat press in k&n open filter type breathers
    Last edited by glastornjet73; 07-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    781

    Default

    Some punctuation would make it a little easier to understand what you're saying.

  12. #10
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VD Cruiser View Post
    Some punctuation would make it a little easier to understand what you're saying.
    Only source of pb i have is my i phone! And between my club fingers and my carpal tunnel were lucky to get what you see

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    104

    Default

    First of all put new flash valves back on the pan evac set up and get the crank case vented. Secondly make sure that there are baffles of some sort where the vacume is pulled from the valve covers. The set up that I run on my jet is 2 cast aluminum breathers in the front of the valve covers with foam in them for filling the crank case and letting in fresh air. At the back of the covers I run a push in baffled breather that runs to the evac tube on that respective header. Two headers, two valve covers evaced. My set up makes no excessive crank case pressure.
    If you're down on leak down with zero gap rings then you've got either a leaking valve or screwed up rings. Zero gaps have almost no leak down once broken in. I've run them before....I like them. Did you gap the rings and have the block final honed for a marine app? It's a looser spec than for a passenger car set up. If you're running Hyper pistons the ring end gap is different too, it's possible to butt the ring gaps and break out pieces of the ring lands with a undersized bore and not enough end gap.
    Rob

  14. #12
    Senior Member glastornjet73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by White Lightning View Post
    First of all put new flash valves back on the pan evac set up and get the crank case vented. Secondly make sure that there are baffles of some sort where the vacume is pulled from the valve covers. The set up that I run on my jet is 2 cast aluminum breathers in the front of the valve covers with foam in them for filling the crank case and letting in fresh air. At the back of the covers I run a push in baffled breather that runs to the evac tube on that respective header. Two headers, two valve covers evaced. My set up makes no excessive crank case pressure.
    If you're down on leak down with zero gap rings then you've got either a leaking valve or screwed up rings. Zero gaps have almost no leak down once broken in. I've run them before....I like them. Did you gap the rings and have the block final honed for a marine app? It's a looser spec than for a passenger car set up. If you're running Hyper pistons the ring end gap is different too, it's possible to butt the ring gaps and break out pieces of the ring lands with a undersized bore and not enough end gap.
    Rob
    Rings were in this engine and running before all were kept to there respective cylinders cylinders were honed properly for the rings and sized properly for the bores per timminators specs so a pcv and a catch can breather wont be the ticket you dont think? Or should i do a pcv breather can and still use the evap system?

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glastornjet73 View Post
    Rings were in this engine and running before all were kept to there respective cylinders cylinders were honed properly for the rings and sized properly for the bores per timminators specs so a pcv and a catch can breather wont be the ticket you dont think? Or should i do a pcv breather can and still use the evap system?
    If performance is the end goal (and almost all marine engines need all the extra grunt that you can get out of them) then a PCV set up is not the way to go. It warms and dilutes the intake charge with oil vapor which can lead to a preignition/detonation scenario under the loads that these engines experience. A header evac system is the way to go IMHO.
    Rob

  16. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by glastornjet73 View Post
    Rings were in this engine and running before all were kept to there respective cylinders cylinders were honed properly for the rings and sized properly for the bores per timminators specs so a pcv and a catch can breather wont be the ticket you dont think? Or should i do a pcv breather can and still use the evap system?
    PVC don't work on a boat unless you spend all you time in the no wake areas. Period. So forget that idea.
    If you run the evac, you don't need the PVC too.

    Just so I am on the right page here. You took a running engine apart, did the world famous Timm a Nator mods, honed the block and put it back together with PC heads. Do I have that correct?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95