Bottom Feed Needle and Seat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 19

Thread:
Bottom Feed Needle and Seat

  1. #1
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default Bottom Feed Needle and Seat

    BLP makes a needle and seat that only discharges from the bottom, and they claim that prevents aeration of the fuel in the bowl. The idea is that fuel enters below the liquid line, not splashed over it (at least, that's the way I understand it).

    Their website shows a modified carb with windows cut in the bowls, and on one bowl using their needle and seat the fuel is clear, while the other bowl with the standard needle and seat the fuel looks all cloudy, presumably aerated.

    If you have experience and/or KNOWLEDGE of how these bottom feeders work, please share your thoughts!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post
    BLP makes a needle and seat that only discharges from the bottom, and they claim that prevents aeration of the fuel in the bowl. The idea is that fuel enters below the liquid line, not splashed over it (at least, that's the way I understand it).

    Their website shows a modified carb with windows cut in the bowls, and on one bowl using their needle and seat the fuel is clear, while the other bowl with the standard needle and seat the fuel looks all cloudy, presumably aerated.

    If you have experience and/or KNOWLEDGE of how these bottom feeders work, please share your thoughts!!!
    They work VERY well!

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    do u have any p/n?...i have seen them before & i can understand the theory & it makes sense

    FastRat

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    it's not a needle and seat, it's a re-designed BOWL. And they are bank!! Nice but not cheap. Bill unless you are haveing a problem controlling you fuel flow thru the carbs,find somewhere else to spend a small fortune that will really help. You seem fixated on float and bowls for some reason. Triple throw down chromed out float bowls with notched floats and jet extentions aren't going to help you much! Maybe try a MSD



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  7. #5
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default Down flow seats

    Yes, the new "Down Flow" needle and seat assy. will fit in all older center hung bowls. They do a great job of reducing fuel foaming and aeriation in the bowls. This helps to stabilize the "useful" level of fuel in the bowl. Going to a larger needle and seats helps to calm this down also (.110 vs. 128) and neither require changing of the fuel pressure.

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Oops, my mistake. I thought he was referring to Braswells "CHUTE" bowls, which take the concept one step further for those with really deep pockets



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warp Speed View Post
    Yes, the new "Down Flow" needle and seat assy. will fit in all older center hung bowls. They do a great job of reducing fuel foaming and aeriation in the bowls. This helps to stabilize the "useful" level of fuel in the bowl. Going to a larger needle and seats helps to calm this down also (.110 vs. 128) and neither require changing of the fuel pressure.
    i'm a little confused!...r u saying a .110 n&s is bigger than a .128 n&s?...also...can u chng the n&s to a larger sz in a DP & stabilize/calm the fuel in the bowl?

    FastRat

  10. #8
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FastRat View Post
    i'm a little confused!...r u saying a .110 n&s is bigger than a .128 n&s?...also...can u chng the n&s to a larger sz in a DP & stabilize/calm the fuel in the bowl?

    FastRat
    I confuse myself allot at times, especialy when trying to explain my thoughts to someone else!!

    I meant going to a .128 from a .110 helps to control incoming fuel also, even with a standard design. But if you go to the .128 down flow's from a .110 standard there is a big reduction in foaming/aeriation thus increasing the quality of the fuel in the bowl as the main jets see it.

  11. #9
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Oops, my mistake. I thought he was referring to Braswells "CHUTE" bowls, which take the concept one step further for those with really deep pockets
    Dave is the Shiat, and he was all we ever used until the Holley situation developed.
    His "spread bore" 4150 type carb is a VERY nice piece, I wish we could use them!

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warp Speed View Post
    I confuse myself allot at times, especialy when trying to explain my thoughts to someone else!!

    I meant going to a .128 from a .110 helps to control incoming fuel also, even with a standard design. But if you go to the .128 down flow's from a .110 standard there is a big reduction in foaming/aeriation thus increasing the quality of the fuel in the bowl as the main jets see it.
    okkkk...i got it lol ...do i have to chng the squirters from stock? & do i have to chng the acc pumps?...can i keep the stock jets?...the carb to be used is a Holley 4777-2...650cfm DP, mech sec

    FastRat

  13. #11
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FastRat View Post
    okkkk...i got it lol ...do i have to chng the squirters from stock? & do i have to chng the acc pumps?...can i keep the stock jets?...the carb to be used is a Holley 4777-2...650cfm DP, mech sec

    FastRat

    All systems remain normal (squirter/accel pump size and float level setting), except that it may require a SLIGHT change in jetting. At the most you may see a 1-2 jet differance (richer) due to less aeration of the fuel in the bowl. Prolly wouldn't see it on most plug checks but definatly noticable on an O2 system. The trend is for the fuel curve to flatten out some as things are far more consistant in the float bowl throughout fuel flow/temp and engine speed variations.
    This might be adjusted best by a small change in HS air bleed size, but it has been a few years since I have been in the thick of the carb deal.

  14. #12
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Warp Speed View Post
    All systems remain normal (squirter/accel pump size and float level setting), except that it may require a SLIGHT change in jetting. At the most you may see a 1-2 jet differance (richer) due to less aeration of the fuel in the bowl. Prolly wouldn't see it on most plug checks but definatly noticable on an O2 system. The trend is for the fuel curve to flatten out some as things are far more consistant in the float bowl throughout fuel flow/temp and engine speed variations.
    This might be adjusted best by a small change in HS air bleed size, but it has been a few years since I have been in the thick of the carb deal.
    Well you can't be the resident expert if you're off the curve, now can you. Please do what you can to get yourself cought up.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  15. #13
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Warp - I really appreciate your feedback. This is all about learning the fine points of tuning, consistency, and reaching a programs potential.

    The bottom feed needle and seat seems like a no brainer.

    The carbs are apart and freshly cleaned since Long Beach. They are going back together with these, BLP float springs and Braswell offshore floats.

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post
    BLP makes a needle and seat that only discharges from the bottom, and they claim that prevents aeration of the fuel in the bowl. The idea is that fuel enters below the liquid line, not splashed over it (at least, that's the way I understand it).

    Their website shows a modified carb with windows cut in the bowls, and on one bowl using their needle and seat the fuel is clear, while the other bowl with the standard needle and seat the fuel looks all cloudy, presumably aerated.
    OK...i searched there website (if i have the rite 1?) and cant find any info on them ...do u have a link?...any help would be appreciated

    thnx FastRat

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95