Headers?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 20

Thread:
Headers?

  1. #1
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default Headers?

    Currently I'm running Bassett twisties on my sbc 377 spinning it 5500. I run the headers dry since my cam is 106 lsa. I know the Bassett were designed with running wet taking into consideration the expansion of water into vapor . I assume the primaries on the headers are too big when running dry. I also assume this is hurting power? I was tossing the idea of having custom headers built considering, I will run them dry, any suggestions on primary size?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 67weiman View Post
    Currently I'm running Bassett twisties on my sbc 377 spinning it 5500. I run the headers dry since my cam is 106 lsa. I know the Bassett were designed with running wet taking into consideration the expansion of water into vapor . I assume the primaries on the headers are too big when running dry. I also assume this is hurting power? I was tossing the idea of having custom headers built considering, I will run them dry, any suggestions on primary size?
    You think Bassett accounted for the water/steam when they sized those headers?
    They use 2" pips for their wet and dry SBC headers, which is too big for 99% of the SBCs used in boats wet or dry.

    It depends on the built and the max RPM of the engine. Saying 377 means nothing if it spins 4500 Rs.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 67weiman View Post
    Currently I'm running Bassett twisties on my sbc 377 spinning it 5500. I run the headers dry since my cam is 106 lsa. I know the Bassett were designed with running wet taking into consideration the expansion of water into vapor . I assume the primaries on the headers are too big when running dry. I also assume this is hurting power? I was tossing the idea of having custom headers built considering, I will run them dry, any suggestions on primary size?
    I always liked step headers on my small block motors.....1 3/4 to 1 7/8 x 3"......I'm sure others will give their input.....lots of smart folks around here.....
    Id rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements

  6. #4
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydaddy View Post
    I always liked step headers on my small block motors.....1 3/4 to 1 7/8 x 3"......I'm sure others will give their input.....lots of smart folks around here.....
    I would say that's vastly better than the 2" that Bassett uses. I think the Bassetts are 99% bling factor of bigger tubes.
    I would say 1 3/4 X 1 7/8 or 1 5/8 X 1 3/4 step depending on the build.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  7. #5
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I would say that's vastly better than the 2" that Bassett uses. I think the Bassetts are 99% bling factor of bigger tubes.
    I would say 1 3/4 X 1 7/8 or 1 5/8 X 1 3/4 step depending on the build.
    I like your thinking gn7....I just think.... for a small block....for what little bit of exhaust (piping) step style will help with scavenging and back pressure.....plz....by no means am I a expert!!!!! I like to read and listen to all you guys!!!!
    Id rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydaddy View Post
    I like your thinking gn7....I just think.... for a small block....for what little bit of exhaust (piping) step style will help with scavenging and back pressure.....plz....by no means am I a expert!!!!! I like to read and listen to all you guys!!!!
    With Bassetts 2" primaries and 4" collector, you might as well saw the collector off and throw it in the lake



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  9. #7
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    With Bassetts 2" primaries and 4" collector, you might as well saw the collector off and throw it in the lake
    I'd hate to waste those pieces......maybe make for some nice tips on a diesel power stroke exhaust.....
    Id rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deweydaddy View Post
    I'd hate to waste those pieces......maybe make for some nice tips on a diesel power stroke exhaust.....
    I'd rather bolt the pair flange to flange, fill with them with rocks and sand and use them for anchors.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I'd rather bolt the pair flange to flange, fill with them with rocks and sand and use them for anchors.
    Lol....you ain't right!!!....
    Id rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  12. #10
    Platinum Member BigSteve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Close to the water...
    Posts
    2,014

    Default

    He justs needs to wind it to 9500 and leave it there

    Our headers are stepped several times
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	033.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	350490 Click image for larger version.

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	350498 Click image for larger version.

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	350506

  13. #11
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Nice....
    Id rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  14. #12
    Village Idiot fc-Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    I was really happy with what we put together. Nothing fancy. 1.75" OD primary 32" long (give or take) and a 3" OD collector. I can't remember what the collector length was. This was on a 327" sbc running right at 7000 RPM's with pump gas. Those were a touch on the big size if you ask me, but they still did a decent job, and were cheap to make.

    Paul

  15. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve View Post
    He justs needs to wind it to 9500 and leave it there

    Our headers are stepped several times



    You use those on a lake v drive and you are going to need the patented flame proof exhaust deflector or the driver is going to get torched!

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	jet boat exhaust.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	350562



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  16. #14
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fc-Pilot View Post
    I was really happy with what we put together. Nothing fancy. 1.75" OD primary 32" long (give or take) and a 3" OD collector. I can't remember what the collector length was. This was on a 327" sbc running right at 7000 RPM's with pump gas. Those were a touch on the big size if you ask me, but they still did a decent job, and were cheap to make.

    Paul
    I think running at 7,000 rpm is key with that setup for sure.....sounds like a lil screamer....
    Id rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95