Head stud question!!!!!!!!!! NEED HELP
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
Head stud question!!!!!!!!!! NEED HELP

  1. #1
    Member Jmicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    38

    Default Head stud question!!!!!!!!!! NEED HELP

    SO i have a gen 6 502, it has 12562934 00 and up gen 6 marine heads. I ordered 235-4308 arp head studs which i was told would work for the gen 6 502. Well they came in the mail after 3 weeks and they arnt even close. The head bolts i pulled off are 2 different sizes, the arp kit i got has 5 different size lengths and the longest size isnt even close. I cant find any tech support at all on this any help would be appreciated. Trying to get the boat rebuilt and boosted before the season is over!!!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmicus View Post
    SO i have a gen 6 502, it has 12562934 00 and up gen 6 marine heads. I ordered 235-4308 arp head studs which i was told would work for the gen 6 502. Well they came in the mail after 3 weeks and they arnt even close. The head bolts i pulled off are 2 different sizes, the arp kit i got has 5 different size lengths and the longest size isnt even close. I cant find any tech support at all on this any help would be appreciated. Trying to get the boat rebuilt and boosted before the season is over!!!
    If you call ARP, they are pretty helpful.

  4. #3
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Something doesn't make a lot of sense here. That's the right part number. But what makes no sense is you say that the bolts you removed were only 2 different lengths. Never seen a BBC that only has 2 bolt lengths.
    When you say the longest "isn't even close" you don't say if they are too long, or too short.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member Jmicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Something doesn't make a lot of sense here. That's the right part number. But what makes no sense is you say that the bolts you removed were only 2 different lengths. Never seen a BBC that only has 2 bolt lengths.
    When you say the longest "isn't even close" you don't say if they are too long, or too short.


    The longest studs are way too long. We were pondering over beers this issue as well. All the bolts are side by side and there are only two sizes. Ill post up pictures tomorrow of the studs vs the bolts.

    I called ARP, SUMMIT, and some other performance place.....

    ARP was the most helpful with this helpful piece of advice...."GOOGLE IT." their tech support is a bunch of morons. I ordered the 135-4001 and they will be in tomorrow. Ill keep you posted. On a gen 6 with the marine heads i listed the 4308 studs will not work. Its either that or they took a handful of studs threw it in my box and sent it...

  7. #5
    Member Jmicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Something doesn't make a lot of sense here. That's the right part number. But what makes no sense is you say that the bolts you removed were only 2 different lengths. Never seen a BBC that only has 2 bolt lengths.
    When you say the longest "isn't even close" you don't say if they are too long, or too short.

    this is my first time studding a 502, I didnt even try to put the thing together after looking at the studs, there are 5 different lenghts of studs, do you know which ones go where. Im familiar with the kits that contain 3 different sizes but 5 is completely foreign to me

  8. #6
    Member Jmicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    38

    Default




    THeres a pic of the largest stud compared to the largest head bolt. As you can see its not even close......






    Those are the studs i ordered.








    And theres a pic of my head bolts, as you can see there are only two sizes.

  9. #7
    Member Jmicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    38

    Default

    I picked up the 135-4001 ARP head studs today and they fit perfectly. If any one has the same issue as me, that would be the kit to get not the ones listed above.

  10. #8
    someofamitch
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Posts
    278

    Default

    Wow! Is arp taking the other set back?

  11. #9
    Member Jmicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Velocity View Post
    Wow! Is arp taking the other set back?

    i have to give them
    a call. I called tthem and they recommended that set for my motor. So did three other speed shops I'm not sure why there was such a mix up.

  12. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Just a reminder: Don't forget to put sealer on the studs.

  13. #11
    Member Jmicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Checkmate281 View Post
    Just a reminder: Don't forget to put sealer on the studs.
    even on the gen 6? none of my holes poke into the jacket water passages, i Checked all of them with a flash light.

  14. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmicus View Post
    even on the gen 6? none of my holes poke into the jacket water passages, i Checked all of them with a flash light.
    If the bolts you took out had sealer on them why wouldn't you?

  15. #13
    Member Jmicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    38

    Default

    a good point, I didnt have any on me at the time (shitty excuse). And gen 6 blocks have blind holes so i didnt see the need. I guess time will tell....

  16. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    34

    Default

    Could be everyone has used sealant so long they may be fearful switching to any other lube may change torque values.

    The old adage, 'If it ain't broke.....'

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95