Which fuel pump
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 46

Thread:
Which fuel pump

  1. #1
    Senior Member hava life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    784

    Default Which fuel pump

    I have a 556ci with a 1000 cfm carb 640hp, right now I have a Holly electric Red with regulator and it nly goes to 5psi. I am looking at getting the blue pump so I can have the pressure up to 7psi. Would I need to go with the black or do you think the blue would be good? Just needing some input I am thinking the black would be to much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Smallblocksperry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hava life View Post
    I have a 556ci with a 1000 cfm carb 640hp, right now I have a Holly electric Red with regulator and it nly goes to 5psi. I am looking at getting the blue pump so I can have the pressure up to 7psi. Would I need to go with the black or do you think the blue would be good? Just needing some input I am thinking the black would be to much.
    i'd run a black. on my 540 950HP blower motor i used a electric holley black and a holley 150GPH mechanical pump, just tee them together before the regulator and your good to go. i like the idea of having two fuel pumps incase one goes bad.

    a gauge on the fuel rail and one in the dash wont hurt either.

  3. #3
    Senior Member hava life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    784

    Default

    How did you do the gauge on the dash?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Smallblocksperry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hava life View Post
    How did you do the gauge on the dash?

    electric sender on the fuel rail up to an electic gauge on the dash

  5. #5
    Senior Member tkriley13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hava life View Post
    I have a 556ci with a 1000 cfm carb 640hp, right now I have a Holly electric Red with regulator and it nly goes to 5psi. I am looking at getting the blue pump so I can have the pressure up to 7psi. Would I need to go with the black or do you think the blue would be good? Just needing some input I am thinking the black would be to much.
    Personally if possible I`d run a mechanical fuel pump on it.. On my 65 it runs a 850 CFM C n J Engineering and my old blown deal which ran 2332 CFM (custom 1050`s worked over till each were 1166 CFM each by C n J Engineering I ran a Clay Smith mechanical pump on both motors but after 12 years / 400 + hours on the blower motor which had no issues I rebuilt due to being in a flat bottom and it was simple to do..the blower motor was set at 15 Ibs boost and turned 7950 rpms every time I nailed it no issues but guess a little Bias towards these pumps... But my buddy went from a red to blue and now runs a black and all is well but he also had some venting issues which I think caused some heating due to it ran all the time.. But I`m a wireman that likes to tinker and go fast (to me) but I`d call CS and speak to George or C n J and speak to Johnny to just see what they think which pump you need.. Good luck!!! TR

  6. #6
    Senior Member hava life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Thanks for the info looks like I will go with the black and look into doing a mechanical for backup.

  7. #7
    Senior Member hava life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    784

    Default

    Now I'm banging my head on the garage floor, I put on the black Holley electric pump with the proper regulator and it was suppose to be preset at 6psi. Turned the key on gauge read 6 started the motor and the gauge maxed out over 12psi and I could not get it lower with adjusting the regulator. I called Holley and they had no idea so I shipped it back and JEGS sent another pump and regulator. Just came in from the garage and the same damn thing is happening. I went out and bought another fuel gauge and I have the same reading. I would think it has to be another defect wtf. Supposedly the regulator Regulates from 4-1/2 to 9 PSI. Is all this crap made in China?? Also never heard from Holley today left massages at every extension they have.
    Regulator is a TWO PORT 4.5-9 PSI PART #: 12-704
    Just pissed and venting.

  8. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hava life View Post
    Now I'm banging my head on the garage floor, I put on the black Holley electric pump with the proper regulator and it was suppose to be preset at 6psi. Turned the key on gauge read 6 started the motor and the gauge maxed out over 12psi and I could not get it lower with adjusting the regulator. I called Holley and they had no idea so I shipped it back and JEGS sent another pump and regulator. Just came in from the garage and the same damn thing is happening. I went out and bought another fuel gauge and I have the same reading. I would think it has to be another defect wtf. Supposedly the regulator Regulates from 4-1/2 to 9 PSI. Is all this crap made in China?? Also never heard from Holley today left massages at every extension they have.
    Regulator is a TWO PORT 4.5-9 PSI PART #: 12-704
    Just pissed and venting.
    You're dealing with the most reliable, bullet proof regulator on the market. I think I would look into what it is you are doing wrong.
    Electric fuel pressure gauge???? One of the reason electric gauges SUCK is that they are voltage dependent. They are nothing more than volt meters measuring the voltage passed thru a resistor(the sender). The higher the system voltage, the higher the reading.

    When you changed the gauge, did you change the sender? Are the sender and gauge a matched setup from the same manufacture?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  9. #9
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,732

    Default

    Sounds like its being hooked up bypass style and its a deadhead regulator.holley red pumps dont need regulators and arent sold with em btw unless it was a knockoff and someone put in a heavy spring or changed it.also not a fan of electric pressure gauges on fuel.

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  10. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    Sounds like its being hooked up bypass style and its a deadhead regulator.holley red pumps dont need regulators and arent sold with em btw unless it was a knockoff and someone put in a heavy spring or changed it.also not a fan of electric pressure gauges on fuel.
    Its a BLACK pump.


    Never understood the idea of using an electric when the engine has a provision for a mechanical, and a single 4 bbl.
    Teague sells a 7 1/2 lb mechanical, no regulator required, 6 valve Edelbock/Clay Smith type pump that will feed virtually any N/A engine for less than the price of the Holley black. Probably last 3 time as long as well.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #11
    Senior Member Deweydaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    DBN./DBN HTGS. Michigan
    Posts
    1,544

    Default

    Does your regulator have the 1/8" pipe plug in it? My Holley reg does...I'd put in a glass liquid filled one .....set pressure.....then remove....or leave it in. Could there be an issue with it dead heading the gauge with air?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	387657   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	25.9 KB 
ID:	387665  
    Last edited by Deweydaddy; 09-27-2013 at 03:51 AM.
    I’d rather live with a good question than a bad answer.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Smallblocksperry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    You're dealing with the most reliable, bullet proof regulator on the market. I think I would look into what it is you are doing wrong.
    Electric fuel pressure gauge???? One of the reason electric gauges SUCK is that they are voltage dependent. They are nothing more than volt meters measuring the voltage passed thru a resistor(the sender). The higher the system voltage, the higher the reading.

    When you changed the gauge, did you change the sender? Are the sender and gauge a matched setup from the same manufacture?

    yea an electric fuel pressure gauge, not as the sole pressure gauge to set the regulator at, like i said as a second gauge to look at while on long WOT runs, yea it might not be accurate to the TEE, but if its saying zero when your on it then you sure as hell better let off and check the liquid filled gauge on the fuel rail. on my boat both gauges always read the same reading, so i know that they are somewhat accurate. So i disagree with you, they dont SUCK!

  13. #13
    Senior Member hava life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    784

    Default

    I changed the liquid filled gauge on the fuel rail and it still reads high. Before I put the Black pump and regulator on I had the blue pump with the regulator that comes with it and my pressure was 5, changed out to the black and the regulator they recommend, know I have the gauge pegged and I cant get it adjusted. Not to much to change out when I just changed out the pump and regulator, it's only 2 wires and a fitting.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Smallblocksperry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hava life View Post
    I changed the liquid filled gauge on the fuel rail and it still reads high. Before I put the Black pump and regulator on I had the blue pump with the regulator that comes with it and my pressure was 5, changed out to the black and the regulator they recommend, know I have the gauge pegged and I cant get it adjusted. Not to much to change out when I just changed out the pump and regulator, it's only 2 wires and a fitting.
    post a picture of how you have the regulator plumbed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95