CO2 Fuel Cooler
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread:
CO2 Fuel Cooler

  1. #1
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default CO2 Fuel Cooler

    Anyone tried pre-cooling their fuel with this CO2 fuel log device?

    http://www.designengineering.com/pro...asp?m=sp&pid=3

    This is another spin on the "cool can" idea where you supposedly get a denser charge by pre-cooling the fuel between the pump and the carbs. I was thinking of this system without the car-related parts, just the fuel log.

    Do you know of dyno testing based on pre-cooled fuel?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Spiral out MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Maybe if you needed every last HP available then it might be worth something.

    I can't see any realworld need for it though in any other type of racing other than drag racing in a class where mph and e.t. is king.

    The evaporation of the fuel by the carb already does a pretty good job of taking the heat out of the charge.

  4. #3
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Maybe if you needed every last HP available then it might be worth something.

    I can't see any realworld need for it though in any other type of racing other than drag racing in a class where mph and e.t. is king.

    The evaporation of the fuel by the carb already does a pretty good job of taking the heat out of the charge.
    i agree. my polished single plane will freeze up at times.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Nitrous works better. As a coolant I mean. I know some use it on intercoolers.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  7. #5
    Spiral out MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Nitrous works better. As a coolant I mean. I know some use it on intercoolers.
    Usually makes more power going INTO the engine.

  8. #6
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,138

    Default

    i read somthing once, cant remember where, but it said that you dont want the fuel too cold because it messes with the mixture process (cant remember the word, antionation or somthing).

    Anyway, my tunnel ram is froozen when i get done stomping on it.

  9. #7
    Senior Member earlbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LaGrange GA
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Correct. You want the air as cool as possible not the fuel.

  10. #8
    E-7 Sheepdog (ret) SmokinLowriderSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newton Ks.
    Posts
    6,834

    Default

    Atomization is the word you are looking for Shaun.

    Gasoline (liquid) will not burn, no way, shape, or form.

    Gasoline VAPORS burn very nicely in air and you want them to be as numerous and well mixed with the air, over a distance of as little as 6 inches in some manifolds, in a horifically short time.

    Cool the fuel to near or below it's vapor pressure, and you will get nothing good.
    Last edited by SmokinLowriderSS; 09-08-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: )
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken

    OBAMA: Some people deserve this.
    The rest of us are being dragged along kicking and screaming.

  11. #9
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by earlbrown View Post
    Correct. You want the air as cool as possible not the fuel.

    Cooling the fuel at the river or the lake is not a bad thing, so it wouldn't hurt.

    The fuel in a fuel tank at the river on a 110* day sitting in the sun all day is very hot. Cooling it down to 80* or so would help performance with a higher air temp.

    Sleeper CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper CP View Post
    Cooling the fuel at the river or the lake is not a bad thing, so it wouldn't hurt.

    The fuel in a fuel tank at the river on a 110* day sitting in the sun all day is very hot. Cooling it down to 80* or so would help performance with a higher air temp.

    Sleeper CP
    i totally agree...if cooling fuel down was a bad idea, why did they do it in drag cars??...i picked up .01-.02 in my drag car by useing a cool can filled with dry ice & alcohol...i have seen racers use dry ice on there manif's around the carb...i think it has some merit to cool the fuel down!

    FastRat

  13. #11
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FastRat View Post
    i totally agree...if cooling fuel down was a bad idea, why did they do it in drag cars??...i picked up .01-.02 in my drag car by useing a cool can filled with dry ice & alcohol...i have seen racers use dry ice on there manif's around the carb...i think it has some merit to cool the fuel down!

    FastRat
    Thanks for that info!!! There is a certain SS/PS boat that regulary waxes everyones ass out there, and they use a cool can. Rather than monkey see, monkey do, I thought some real life results would be good. BTW, the guy that owns that boat is a former drag racer...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95