bbc 396/402 pistons,rods ????
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread:
bbc 396/402 pistons,rods ????

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default bbc 396/402 pistons,rods ????

    since I like doing things that have already been done/nostalgic, im starting to gather parts for a rowdy 396 13:1cr but im having trouble finding any pistons is my best bet going to be a custom set of cp pistons the plan is to run it real hard for long periods of time "I like to burn fuel", im gona try and keep the rotator as light as possible, are big dimple rods needed on a high rpm 396? the pistons should end up being lighter than a 427 due to the smaller bore so can I save a little weight and run a rod with a newer 3/8" bolt arp for example? going to try to build it to spin 6800 to 7200

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    If you use a closed chamber head with 96 CC, Speed Pro's part WL2242NF30 or 60 will get you right at that compression
    If you plan on spinning it near 7000 for any period of time, you better be using the 7/16 dot rod and damn good bolt, and some Voodoo.
    By the time you work a used up set of POS stock rods with good bolts, you could buy a set of Scat or Eagle rods. n Scat's ProComp I beam rod is considerably better than the stock shit.
    All though the piston is smaller than a 427/454 piston, it will probably end up weighing as much as a set of custom CPs. They will spin 7000, and did a zillion times back in 60s. But you can't get whimpy on the rod.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    10-4 on good rods im not going for cheap just trying to spend more money in the appropriate areas

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    What you save on not buying custom pistons will buy the rods.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  7. #5
    Bostick Racing Engines six-oh-nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, Ca.
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiebro View Post
    since I like doing things that have already been done/nostalgic, im starting to gather parts for a rowdy 396 13:1cr but im having trouble finding any pistons is my best bet going to be a custom set of cp pistons the plan is to run it real hard for long periods of time "I like to burn fuel", im gona try and keep the rotator as light as possible, are big dimple rods needed on a high rpm 396? the pistons should end up being lighter than a 427 due to the smaller bore so can I save a little weight and run a rod with a newer 3/8" bolt arp for example? going to try to build it to spin 6800 to 7200
    I have a set of Arias 12.5:1 for a 106cc closed chamber head (smaller chambers would net higher ratio) , .030 over forged pistons, brand new in the box I'd sell fairly reasonably inexpensive if your interested.


    Also have a set of TRW 12:1 closed chamber .030 forged pistons that are used, but in great shape, if I remember correctly, haven
    t looked at them in a few years, they are already flycut in the intake valve pocket for a decent lift cam... I'd sell those even more reasonably inexpensive if your interested.

    Time to clean out some of this stuff I've been collecting for years and will never use.

    As for the dimple rods and 3/8 rods... to be honest, I'll tell you the same thing I tell my customers when their building a mid to high performance piece... for what it costs to install ARP rod bolts, resize, pin fit, and beam & shot peen a old set of rods, you can buy a new set of Scats and have twice the rod the worked up stocker would ever be. I mean hell... I'll do up stock rods for folks all day... it's easy money... but it's just not economically sensible.
    Last edited by six-oh-nine; 10-04-2013 at 09:24 AM.
    The Bostick®

    Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    do you favor scat rods over eagle or is it a toss up



    I think I have decided to go with custom pistons on open chambers to take advantage of the unshrouded valves

  9. #7
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiebro View Post
    do you favor scat rods over eagle or is it a toss up



    I think I have decided to go with custom pistons on open chambers to take advantage of the unshrouded valves
    You're feeding a 396 not a 596. The bores will shroud the regardless what head you use. I don't care how good the port is, the bore will kill it.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    You're feeding a 396 not a 596. The bores will shroud the regardless what head you use. I don't care how good the port is, the bore will kill it.
    so a set of closed chamber rectangles might be the hot ticket I had the idea of using open chamber oval ports to keep my port volume down to keep velocity up
    rectangle port heads are just over kill in my thinking

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiebro View Post
    so a set of closed chamber rectangles might be the hot ticket I had the idea of using open chamber oval ports to keep my port volume down to keep velocity up
    rectangle port heads are just over kill in my thinking
    You're feeding the same basic bore/stroke as a 400 SBC. Oval ports are plenty. The Edelbrock TBI head with a semi open would probably be a killer head, but the chamber would require a custom piston. But I am not sure the power increase would justify the expense.

    Closed chamber heads and Speed Pro/TRW pistons is by far the best bang for the buck.
    If you can get the Arias pistons from Bostick for a good price, I think thats the direction I would go.

    Oval port vortec heads with 100CC chambers is another possiblty, but might take some minor piston dome tweeks.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95