chevy block identify
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread:
chevy block identify

  1. #1
    merritt 21rayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    napa,ca
    Posts
    72

    Default chevy block identify

    so here is what i have is a 3999289 big block it is a 4 bolt main. with two cylinders sleeved at 4.280. need s to be boared 4.310.heard it is a hi nickel alloy.whats it worth. plus a 6223 casting numbers crank 10/10 nitrated what is it worth maged ok and mics ok.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21rayson View Post
    so here is what i have is a 3999289 big block it is a 4 bolt main. with two cylinders sleeved at 4.280. need s to be boared 4.310.heard it is a hi nickel alloy.whats it worth. plus a 6223 casting numbers crank 10/10 nitrated what is it worth maged ok and mics ok.
    427 crankshaft (6223 was the basic forged 427 crank) and a sleeved 4 bolt block + terrible economy means not a whole lot of money. Also, how thick are the sleeves,, thin wall sleeves may not be able to be bored based on what my old shop had told me.

  4. #3
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 21rayson View Post
    so here is what i have is a 3999289 big block it is a 4 bolt main. with two cylinders sleeved at 4.280. need s to be boared 4.310.heard it is a hi nickel alloy.whats it worth. plus a 6223 casting numbers crank 10/10 nitrated what is it worth maged ok and mics ok.
    There is really no truth to some BBC blocks being made of something different or special than others, Hi nickel seems to be the buzz word for GM blocks. Way too many good blocks out there to put a number on a block with 2 sleeves. If you KNOW all the other machining is GOOD and RIGHT, maybe 350.00.
    A 6223 crank is worth a little more than scrap weight. Maybe 100.00 if it has good clean journals and is in fact nitrided and you KNOW IT, not being told it is. Another buzz word thrown around out there.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    3999289 is what i ended up with after the 402 drilled to 4.250 had a crack attack...It's 4.250 now...been told it might go as much as .125 over...only a 2 bolt.. I run a 6225 crank 10/10. Piston selection might be a little limited/spendy......060 427 might be closed chamber and with open chamber heads the compression will be lower that what you want for decent hp....i have 11.0-1 oem trw 109 cc heads and it's happy on 91 octane.
    Gona stick my neck out and say a short stroke motor is not best combo if you have a jet...another 1/4" stroke is money well spent.
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  7. #5
    www.highflowdynamics.com LakesOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,160

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 21rayson View Post
    so here is what i have is a 3999289 big block it is a 4 bolt main....heard it is a hi nickel alloy...
    There is really no truth to some BBC blocks being made of something different or special than others, Hi nickel seems to be the buzz word for GM blocks...
    I agree about the nickel being a rumor. Anyone who knows about grey iron casting practices understands that nickel may show up as a tramp alloy at best. I have personally overseen analytical testing of BBC "high nickel" block material through the application of a $500,000 (read: half a million dollar) scanning electron microscope that is about as big as a small car, fills a room, and analyzes the sample material at the atomic level (<---I am not exaggerating). The results from the analytical testing showed no nickel. Zero, zip, zilch, nada.

    LO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PKaneBlockAnalysis.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	394553  
    Last edited by LakesOnly; 10-08-2013 at 07:45 AM.
    High Flow Dynamics
    Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family


    This post © Copyright 2007-2017 Paul Kane. No copying, linking, printing or otherwise without express written permission.

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoldHondaBoughtHondo View Post
    3999289 is what i ended up with after the 402 drilled to 4.250 had a crack attack...It's 4.250 now...been told it might go as much as .125 over...only a 2 bolt.. I run a 6225 crank 10/10. Piston selection might be a little limited/spendy......060 427 might be closed chamber and with open chamber heads the compression will be lower that what you want for decent hp....i have 11.0-1 oem trw 109 cc heads and it's happy on 91 octane.
    Gona stick my neck out and say a short stroke motor is not best combo if you have a jet...another 1/4" stroke is money well spent.
    The piston selection is for the 427 is actually quite large, IF YOU TOSS OUT THE POS STOCK ROD!!
    If the cost of 1/4 more stroke is the same as 1/2, then the cost of 1/2" is REALLY money well spent.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  9. #7
    merritt 21rayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    napa,ca
    Posts
    72

    Default

    well thanks for the info. and far as sleeve thickness as best that i can measure they are .075 thick block measures to be aprox 4.500 to accept the sleeves. block has been oringed. sounds like have a bunch of paper weights along with my howard aluminum rods that have only 50 hours on them well aries pistons are junk too opps too lean.

  10. #8
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    I will get blasted for this and don't give a shit!!! The 440 chev engine will surprise alot of people when built right! Agreed its not a heavy boat "best combo" but for a lighter hull set up to turn a few rpm's should not be taken lightly. BUT with this crowd anything less than 500 inches is a paper weight! So I will take all your'e paper weights just give me a call!!!

  11. #9
    Senior Member wizbang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Kent, WA
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    I will get blasted for this and don't give a shit!!! The 440 chev engine will surprise alot of people when built right! Agreed its not a heavy boat "best combo" but for a lighter hull set up to turn a few rpm's should not be taken lightly. BUT with this crowd anything less than 500 inches is a paper weight! So I will take all your'e paper weights just give me a call!!!

    I agree with you here !
    We use this same style block and the same cranks !

  12. #10
    Happy Member WishIknew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Under a Rock near ???
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    427 crankshaft (6223 was the basic forged 427 crank) and a sleeved 4 bolt block + terrible economy means not a whole lot of money. Also, how thick are the sleeves,, thin wall sleeves may not be able to be bored based on what my old shop had told me.
    Trust This Guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone else Not So Much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO

  13. #11
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WishIknew View Post
    Trust This Guy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! anyone else Not So Much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IMO
    I wouldn't go quite that far, some of these guys have lots of experience.

    For the record, I didn't say the parts were not usable, I thought the OP was asking dollar value. I agree with Bob (GN 7) on approximate values,, he might have even been a bit generous on the demand for the block.

    The 6223 crank is the one used in every tall deck truck engine (1053 steel), not factory nitrided to my knowledge, but certainly could have been done, particularly if the block is o ringed with aluminum rods, was probably some drag deal? Last year I sold a brand new in the box 6223 crank for $300, unfortunately two weeks before someone wanted a 427 for a Corvette.

    Same with the block,, usable,, but there are still good blocks available, lots of people not so interested in one with a single sleeve, not to mention two of them. The O-ring wire also turns some people off, not knowing what head gaskets to run.
    Last edited by obnoxious001; 10-08-2013 at 10:00 PM.

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    I think you jumped the gun there a little Mark. Did you read somewhere in these post where someone said the 427 doesn't make power? I think the comments were on the worth of the parts based on their condition and market value. Nothing more.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sacramento area
    Posts
    1,132

    Default

    While we are on the subject of the 6223 crank. Tell me why someone would off set grind one to a 4.375 stroke? I bought a bunch of stuff, and it was part of the deal. Looking at it is kinda scary. It has counter balances welded to the center main, and added counter balance to the tail shaft.
    Im guessing it must be real old, even though its st/st. For the price of the machining, you could buy a nice crank in this day and age.
    Half the people in the world are below average.

  16. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schick View Post
    While we are on the subject of the 6223 crank. Tell me why someone would off set grind one to a 4.375 stroke? I bought a bunch of stuff, and it was part of the deal. Looking at it is kinda scary. It has counter balances welded to the center main, and added counter balance to the tail shaft.
    Im guessing it must be real old, even though its st/st. For the price of the machining, you could buy a nice crank in this day and age.
    I think you are mistaking what you are looking at. There is no way to get a 6223 crank to that stroke by offset grinding. Not even close. 3.80 would be a push. If that REALLY is the stroke, it would have to be a welded stroker, and was more than likely done on a raw forging before machining. They could squeeze a 4.25 out of a raw forging without welding, but that was the limit. 5/8 welded strokers were pretty common.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 10-09-2013 at 10:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95