MAX Power for Mark IV production block
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 30

Thread:
MAX Power for Mark IV production block

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    56

    Default MAX Power for Mark IV production block

    I know you guys here run your stuff hard. Heres my setup, I'd like to hear what you think I'd be good with, power wise. Current setup dyno'ed at 800HP .....Mark IV 454 Block. .060 over. GM uncut Steel 4'' crank, ARP main studs, 4 bolt main, standard caps, Manley H beam rods with ARP2000 bolts, JE Blower pistons with upgraded pins. Max RPM 5700-5900. Externally balanced How much power would you feel safe putting through this block setup? I've considered adding a little more power, but worried about the production block and GM crank?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mild Thunder View Post
    I know you guys here run your stuff hard. Heres my setup, I'd like to hear what you think I'd be good with, power wise. Current setup dyno'ed at 800HP .....Mark IV 454 Block. .060 over. GM uncut Steel 4'' crank, ARP main studs, 4 bolt main, standard caps, Manley H beam rods with ARP2000 bolts, JE Blower pistons with upgraded pins. Max RPM 5700-5900. Externally balanced How much power would you feel safe putting through this block setup? I've considered adding a little more power, but worried about the production block and GM crank?
    You are there now. It will take more power. I have done it, numerous times. But you will be shortening the fuse.
    You only have a couple options for more power. More RPM, which is not outdrive friendly. More cylinder pressure via boost. Or more cubes.
    I would go for the cubes.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    You are there now. It will take more power. I have done it, numerous times. But you will be shortening the fuse.
    You only have a couple options for more power. More RPM, which is not outdrive friendly. More cylinder pressure via boost. Or more cubes.
    I would go for the cubes.

    Good stuff. Thought about more cubes, but prob not in the budget. When I put these together, I figured I'd be happy with mid to upper 80's, but low 90's is sounding so good...I've considered adding intercoolers and 1-2 more psi, for a little bump, but worried about the blocks. I know lots of guys making 800+ but most of them running bowtie, dart, etc

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Nosjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Rough and Ready CA.
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    You are there now. It will take more power. I have done it, numerous times. But you will be shortening the fuse.
    You only have a couple options for more power. More RPM, which is not outdrive friendly. More cylinder pressure via boost. Or more cubes.
    I would go for the cubes.
    Which is the weak link.. block or crank??
    LIVE FREE OR DIE

  7. #5
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nosjunkie View Post
    Which is the weak link.. block or crank??
    Its about equal. The crank can handle power thru RPM better than the block can IMO. The main caps tend to move around under high power/high RPM. Neither handle high torque/low RPM from high boost or N20 well enough to make much more than 800-850 at the RPM that a outdrive needs.
    In a outdrive boat, the crank will probably fail before the block at that power level.
    But I have had a stock crank outlive 2 stock blocks making close 1000 at 7000-7200



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 10-25-2013 at 01:33 PM.

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    56

    Default

    I do have the SSM IV drives. Those can take much more rpm than say, a bravo drive.

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    spokane, wa
    Posts
    416

    Default

    A guy we boat with runs 496 chevy in a light 21 jet with a factory block, 14 psi from a roots on E85 and a 400 hit of nitrous. Spins a Detailed stainless AA from B1 racing 7100 rpm, been running the same block for 3 years now with no problems.

    We also ran a factory block 468 in a 32 ford coupe street/track car at 12 psi and a 400 hit of nitrous, made 1032 at the tires. Ran that same block for 13 years!!!

    Hope this helps

  10. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blownboosted View Post
    A guy we boat with runs 496 chevy in a light 21 jet with a factory block, 14 psi from a roots on E85 and a 400 hit of nitrous. Spins a Detailed stainless AA from B1 racing 7100 rpm, been running the same block for 3 years now with no problems.

    We also ran a factory block 468 in a 32 ford coupe street/track car at 12 psi and a 400 hit of nitrous, made 1032 at the tires. Ran that same block for 13 years!!!

    Hope this helps
    Heck ya, that sounds zesty! I'm just lookin to maybe add 1-2 psi of intercooled boost . Maybe 850ish Hp wise

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blownboosted View Post
    A guy we boat with runs 496 chevy in a light 21 jet with a factory block, 14 psi from a roots on E85 and a 400 hit of nitrous. Spins a Detailed stainless AA from B1 racing 7100 rpm, been running the same block for 3 years now with no problems.

    We also ran a factory block 468 in a 32 ford coupe street/track car at 12 psi and a 400 hit of nitrous, made 1032 at the tires. Ran that same block for 13 years!!!

    Hope this helps
    I wouldn't what to compare a blown jet or street rod with a heavy offshore boat.
    Like taking those 2 engines and strapping them to a dyno at full load max rpm and going to lunch.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    spokane, wa
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I wouldn't what to compare a blown jet or street rod with a heavy offshore boat.
    Like taking those 2 engines and strapping them to a dyno at full load max rpm and going to lunch.
    I understand these engines wouldn't live in his boat, just throwing out a few examples of what we have done with stock factory blocks.

  13. #11
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I wouldn't what to compare a blown jet or street rod with a heavy offshore boat.
    Like taking those 2 engines and strapping them to a dyno at full load max rpm and going to lunch.
    Full load and a 1k lb bottle of nitrous........Standing in line at jack in the box...KABOOM! Opps...lol
    Seems like the OP is at a place where the cost/performance ratio gets plenty spendy. Another 50hp @ 800 could be another 2mph.
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    411

    Default

    We accidently pushed my 489 twin turbo Mark IV block to 1425HP on the dyno. Did not run the motor in it's intended pkg due to other issues. Things got a little carried away with the twisting on the BOV's. However I'm in the process of changing everything over to a Merlin or Dart this winter, just sayin Lol, because of the very same concerns!

  15. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    How much power do you figure the Chevy powered funnies of the 60s made on nitro? 1500? For maybe 1000 full throttle revolutions per race?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    How much power do you figure the Chevy powered funnies of the 60s made on nitro? 1500? For maybe 1000 full throttle revolutions per race?
    I am sure that is accurate, just don't want to be the guy to be the test mule and push it past the limits and get a big kaboom, then wish I hadn't destroyed all those good parts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95