afr 335 heads & timing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 20

Thread:
afr 335 heads & timing

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    113

    Default afr 335 heads & timing

    I have a 565 with afr 335 heads, ross pistons, 10.5 comp. running 93 octane. the chambers are cnc" to 121cc. when we dyno it we had it at 32 degrees until fuel cruve was good then the dyno operator said lets try 30 degrees and it made about 5 more horse and trq so we left it. I have had a guy from reher Morrison told me he wish I had tried 36 so does anybody know where those heads tend to run best at? right now my combination is player hell on my header coating, after 30 hours of running I am getting them recoated, I run them dry with muffler inserts, last day out I ran them open and they ran a lot cooler so I am going to try shotguns instead.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rocklin, Calif.
    Posts
    1,396

    Default

    What kind of numbers did you get on your dyno time?

  4. #3
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    I wouldn't be so quick to think you fell on the right timing for the heads, as much as you fell on the right timing for the jetting. You may have thought you had the jetting down pat, and when you backed the timing up, you in effect, richened it.
    You could have pushed 36 into it and lost, but it could back plus some if you put more jet in it. Timing jetting loops are my primary reasons for putting it on the dyno. Lash loops are kind of secondary and useful, but the timing and AFR COMBINED are the main interest.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    For what it's worth my friend has a 10.75:1, 565 with AFR 345s with the cnc chamber option and off his mph at the track 36* was better than 32, 34 & 38 degrees timing on 91. I'm running the AFR 305 with the cnc chambers milled to 114cc on a 10.2:1 489 and 36 was better than 32, 34 & 35 by GPS also. 91 octane pump gas deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  7. #5
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I wouldn't be so quick to think you fell on the right timing for the heads, as much as you fell on the right timing for the jetting. You may have thought you had the jetting down pat, and when you backed the timing up, you in effect, richened it.
    You could have pushed 36 into it and lost, but it could back plus some if you put more jet in it. Timing jetting loops are my primary reasons for putting it on the dyno. Lash loops are kind of secondary and useful, but the timing and AFR COMBINED are the main interest.
    Got to say times 2 on this post based off my experience. How much cam and what induction does the OP's 565 have?
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  8. #6
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Do you know what your cranking compression is? I just did a 13.2:1 565 with a set of AFR's and it was happy at 35 but we really didn't play with timing a lot. I can tell you it didn't like 34 but your cranking compression will tell a lot.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  9. #7
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Do you know what your cranking compression is? I just did a 13.2:1 565 with a set of AFR's and it was happy at 35 but we really didn't play with timing a lot. I can tell you it didn't like 34 but your cranking compression will tell a lot.
    What was the cranking compression on this deal you just did?
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  10. #8
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivalride View Post
    What was the cranking compression on this deal you just did?
    Never checked. Probably in the 230-240 range.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    113

    Default

    cranking comp. is around 190, intake is a reher-morrisn victor and gary Williams 1050 domionator, cam is 748 lift 271 &274 duration on a 108 sep 7-4 swap, made 782hp @6800 [email protected] 5100 and I jumped jets to 96 from 93 and ran chp fuel it made 800 @ 6800 & 717 trq @5000 but from 4500 to 5600 was above 700 trq.

  12. #10
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eric tx20 View Post
    cranking comp. is around 190, intake is a reher-morrisn victor and gary Williams 1050 domionator, cam is 748 lift 271 &274 duration on a 108 sep 7-4 swap, made 782hp @6800 [email protected] 5100 and I jumped jets to 96 from 93 and ran chp fuel it made 800 @ 6800 & 717 trq @5000 but from 4500 to 5600 was above 700 trq.
    You should be up in the 36-37* timing range. NO wonder you're burning up your exhaust. That's decent power but you're leaving a lot of tq on the table with your timing @ 30.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    113

    Default

    my first time to a dyno and went to a well respected place. but I now regret not getting him to do more playing with it,i will know next time

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    113

    Default

    thanks everybody!

  15. #13
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    I'm with GN & Steel. I think you are low on timing and lean. Low timing will spike exhaust gas temps and burn the coating. What you want to do is put fuel in it and burn it. What carbs and jetting do you have?

    Some timing and fuel might wake up the engine, especially in the area of response.

  16. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    113

    Default

    gary Williams 1050 dominator with 93 jets, but I am going with a sniper tunnel ram and 2 gary Williams 800 cfm carbs, going to add a dual o2 system and Williams is plumbing a fogger system for me. I do think everybody here for help, first time at a dyno I have a lot to learn but I had a feeling my timing was to low due to my header coating

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95