Turbo motor w/bravo style outdrive?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread:
Turbo motor w/bravo style outdrive?

  1. #1
    Senior Member HighVoltage329's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca.
    Posts
    1,293

    Default Turbo motor w/bravo style outdrive?

    I thinking of putting a carb Gentry turbo set-up on my Hallett 240. I've got an Imco SC drive with hydraulic steering to the helm. My question is out of the hole performance. My low compression 502 with Merlin oval port heads pulls good from the bottom but I want more on the top. If I bolt the Gentry set up on this motor will I loose much on the bottom end? I know with a transmission in second gear to get the revs up they do fine but I won't have that. Anyone done it?
    Last edited by HighVoltage329; 09-26-2008 at 09:18 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member jstnoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Riverside
    Posts
    474

    Default

    Im doing a similar setup in my 22 schiada. 509CI with gentry turbo setup sterndrive

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    246

    Default

    had schiada tt with stern drive.was not the fastest out of the hole,but was never mashing it due to fear of breaking drive.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltage329 View Post
    I thinking of putting a carb Gentry turbo set-up on my Hallett 240. I've got an Imco SC drive with hydraulic steering to the helm. My question is out of the hole performance. My low compression 502 with Merlin oval port heads pulls good from the bottom but I want more on the top. If I bolt the Gentry set up on this motor will I loose much on the bottom end? I know with a transmission in second gear to get the revs up they do fine but I won't have that. Anyone done it?
    Bob

    If you bolt the Gentry kit straight onto your existing engine, why would you suspect the bottom end performance would drop? With waste gates you should make boost and more power, right?

  7. #5
    Senior Member HighVoltage329's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca.
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    Bob

    If you bolt the Gentry kit straight onto your existing engine, why would you suspect the bottom end performance would drop? With waste gates you should make boost and more power, right?
    Barry, I hoped you might see this. I thought maby since the carbs were going to be father from the intake I might loose some response on the bottom. Also do you think a low hour 502 bottom end would be up to the task for low boost?

  8. #6
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HighVoltage329 View Post
    Barry, I hoped you might see this. I thought maby since the carbs were going to be father from the intake I might loose some response on the bottom. Also do you think a low hour 502 bottom end would be up to the task for low boost?
    Sure, depending on how much boost you intend to run.

    Maybe PM me for my phone number if you like and we can discuss what you want to do.

  9. #7
    Senior Member HighVoltage329's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca.
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jstnoc View Post
    Im doing a similar setup in my 22 schiada. 509CI with gentry turbo setup sterndrive
    Looks like you will be making some exhaust changes also. That's part of the cost equation that I'm working on now. I hope to retrofit some Stellings tail pipes that I got cheep to go from the turbos out the transom.

  10. #8
    Senior Member HighVoltage329's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Jose, Ca.
    Posts
    1,293

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 86rayson View Post
    had schiada tt with stern drive.was not the fastest out of the hole,but was never mashing it due to fear of breaking drive.
    I just need enough to pull a skier out but also may need a bigger prop for the top end.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95