454 LS-6 15 yr. old Crate Motor
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread:
454 LS-6 15 yr. old Crate Motor

  1. #1
    BTC cardcarrying member sunkisst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chantilly Va.
    Posts
    1,075

    Default 454 LS-6 15 yr. old Crate Motor

    I have found myself with the opportunity to buy this motor that hasnt run in probably 10 years.It has about 15-20 hrs on it.It is in a Sterling Jetboat that Im looking at.My question is,Is there any thing I can do to it to run PUMP GAS? If so,at the same time what do I do to make more H.P.?My plan is to run it in my Jetboat.Hydraulic Roller,or Solid Roller.Can I inslall a Whole bunch of overlap to drop compression or do I add thicker head gaskets to drop compression? Really wanna buy this engine...Thoughts???

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunkisst View Post
    I have found myself with the opportunity to buy this motor that hasnt run in probably 10 years.It has about 15-20 hrs on it.It is in a Sterling Jetboat that Im looking at.My question is,Is there any thing I can do to it to run PUMP GAS? If so,at the same time what do I do to make more H.P.?My plan is to run it in my Jetboat.Hydraulic Roller,or Solid Roller.Can I inslall a Whole bunch of overlap to drop compression or do I add thicker head gaskets to drop compression? Really wanna buy this engine...Thoughts???

    It's possible that it is one of the "marine" LS 6 engines that GM produced. They were 8.8-1 compression. When I worked for Gale Banks, we used to buy those 50 units at a time on pallet racks.

  4. #3
    BTC cardcarrying member sunkisst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chantilly Va.
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    It's possible that it is one of the "marine" LS 6 engines that GM produced. They were 8.8-1 compression. When I worked for Gale Banks, we used to buy those 50 units at a time on pallet racks.
    So if I pull the heads off ,the pistons would be flat tops? Is this correct?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Strap on the JATO konajet74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Antioch,Ca
    Posts
    305

    Default

    sunkisst, get the #'s off the head's. You might or
    might not have high compression. When you get
    the heads check mortec.com or just post the #'s
    here, you'll get your answer.

  7. #5
    Strap on the JATO konajet74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Antioch,Ca
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Not flat tops, high or low dome.......

  8. #6
    BTC cardcarrying member sunkisst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chantilly Va.
    Posts
    1,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by konajet74 View Post
    sunkisst, get the #'s off the head's. You might or
    might not have high compression. When you get
    the heads check mortec.com or just post the #'s
    here, you'll get your answer.
    Gonna look at it again tomorrow or Thursday...CANT WAIT!!!!

  9. #7
    E-7 Sheepdog (ret) SmokinLowriderSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newton Ks.
    Posts
    6,834

    Default

    Anything 15 years old is early 90's and I seriously doubt any closed chambers were used by GM then. Flat-tops in most of the open chambered GM heads would yield only arround 8.2:1 (on a good day). You should have a small dome of some sort.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken

    OBAMA: Some people deserve this.
    The rest of us are being dragged along kicking and screaming.

  10. #8
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    my LS6 crate motor had 990's on it.
    #55

  11. #9
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sunkisst View Post
    So if I pull the heads off ,the pistons would be flat tops? Is this correct?
    The 8.8-1 was achieved with a small dome, roughly 1/8" and the 990 open chamber heads. You should be able to get the block casting number and mfr date off the rear of the block above where the bellhousing would mount. The head casting numbers are visible by removing the valve covers.

    Feel free to email me if you would like more information

    [email protected]

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95