Race arrow and Gale Banks/PFM turbo setups questions.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 23

Thread:
Race arrow and Gale Banks/PFM turbo setups questions.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48

    Default Race arrow and Gale Banks/PFM turbo setups questions.

    I need some general info on these systems. They see like a pretty good bang for the buck. Seems like used systems are in the $2500-$3500 range. Will they support 700-800 hp on a 500+ CI Chevy? What if you changed them from draw through to blow through? I am looking at putting one in my Placecraft mini daycruiser. Not concerned with building a drag boat engine but more of a high speed lake cruiser. Any general info and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered Parker Allstar SFV2RVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SFV/PARKER
    Posts
    635

    Default Race arrow and Gale Banks/PFM turbo setups questions.

    My 460ci with a Race Aero system made 900+ hp @ 10lbs of boost on 91 octane.

    Last edited by SFV2RVR; 01-14-2014 at 09:22 PM.

  4. #3
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc23 View Post
    I need some general info on these systems. They see like a pretty good bang for the buck. Seems like used systems are in the $2500-$3500 range. Will they support 700-800 hp on a 500+ CI Chevy? What if you changed them from draw through to blow through? I am looking at putting one in my Placecraft mini daycruiser. Not concerned with building a drag boat engine but more of a high speed lake cruiser. Any general info and thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason.
    Keep in mind that the Rajay 301E1.0 turbos were chosen to run on a 454 base engine, so you may want a larger turbo, or at least a larger exhaust housing on a 500 cu in engine, otherwise no problem making the power.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member steveo143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    My 496 Race Arrow is over 1000 hp at 17# boost on E-85 with RayJay 301E's.
    steveo143 AKA DiMarco 21 II



    Now totally Green on E-85, saving the world one ear of corn at a time!
    RIP Davey B and Denis and Chris and Bob GN7

  7. #5
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    Keep in mind that the Rajay 301E1.0 turbos were chosen to run on a 454 base engine, so you may want a larger turbo, or at least a larger exhaust housing on a 500 cu in engine, otherwise no problem making the power.
    +1

    And if you change it over to blowthrough it will run cleaner, start easier and you wont have to worry about vacuum drawing oil from the seals in the turbos. Also a little more power potential because the turbos will only be moving air.
    Last edited by Hass828; 01-15-2014 at 06:01 AM.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  8. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Thanks Guys!
    What about running through transom exhaust with these units? I see it on the Race Arrow setup,what about the Banks? I would like to run though transom and possibly with a engine cover.

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    +1

    And if you change it over to blowthrough it will run cleaner, start easier and you wont have to worry about vacuum drawing oil from the seals in the turbos. Also a little more power potential because the turbos will only be moving air.
    But if you convert the rayjay turbo set-up over to a blow through, you lose the benefit of the intercooler that most are set up with.
    In that regard, I feel you lose horsepower potential by not running the intercooler.

  10. #8
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    +1

    And if you change it over to blowthrough it will run cleaner, start easier and you wont have to worry about vacuum drawing oil from the seals in the turbos. Also a little more power potential because the turbos will only be moving air.
    That's fine if you want to fabricate something, but I have done plenty of "old school" turbo engines that are reliable, start easily, and don't blow oil out the exhaust from the turbos.


  11. #9
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo143 View Post
    My 496 Race Arrow is over 1000 hp at 17# boost on E-85 with RayJay 301E's.
    When did you get it dynoed? Might be fun to find a set of 1.3 housings and see what happens on the big end.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsplace View Post
    But if you convert the rayjay turbo set-up over to a blow through, you lose the benefit of the intercooler that most are set up with.
    In that regard, I feel you lose horsepower potential by not running the intercooler.
    I would mod that cooler to set on the carb
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  13. #11
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    That's fine if you want to fabricate something, but I have done plenty of "old school" turbo engines that are reliable, start easily, and don't blow oil out the exhaust from the turbos.

    I know that the old draw through deals ran OK once started, what I was referring to is when the engine has been setting for a week or two, when you pump the throttle you aren't putting fuel into the manifold, you are putting it into the carb box and have to crank till it finally makes its way to the engine. Putting the carb on the manifold cures this.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  14. #12
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hass828 View Post
    I know that the old draw through deals ran OK once started, what I was referring to is when the engine has been setting for a week or two, when you pump the throttle you aren't putting fuel into the manifold, you are putting it into the carb box and have to crank till it finally makes its way to the engine. Putting the carb on the manifold cures this.
    They are not difficult to start, even after sitting for months. I raced a Schiada with a Gentry system for a number of years.

    Fuel injected would be even better too, but for a low dollar, reliable setup, the old draw through systems are great.

  15. #13
    Registered Parker Allstar SFV2RVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SFV/PARKER
    Posts
    635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cc23 View Post
    Thanks Guys!
    What about running through transom exhaust with these units? I see it on the Race Arrow setup,what about the Banks? I would like to run though transom and possibly with a engine cover.
    I ran my race aero setup with a hatch also and thru transom exhaust. Had the banks system on there before the race aero system. Here is a pic with the hatch on it. Still pretty low profile!

  16. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    38

    Default Race arrow and Gale Banks/PFM turbo setups questions

    This is how I plan on making my Banks set up into a blow thru deal. I had the cooler machined to fit on top of the carb. This is just a mock up and not the carb and manifold I will probably use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blow thru turbo 001.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	459370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blow thru turbo 002.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	459378   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blow thru turbo 003.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	459386  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95