E-85 and high compression N/a
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 67

Thread:
E-85 and high compression N/a

  1. #1
    custom member raped southwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    so-cal
    Posts
    466

    Default E-85 and high compression N/a

    Looking for some info on e-85.

    Im trying to figure out what to do with my motor set-up for next yr. Current motor is a 565 that i picked up as parts to put something together. I have been told that it has lived on c-19 or c-20 ( i forget) all its life. Motor has a Static compression ratio of 14.6. Anyone have any luck running this type of compression with e-85, Or how high have you had luck with,

    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by raped southwind; 01-20-2014 at 01:39 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Click the link below to send a PM to Master Sergeant. He's running a very similar combo and may be able to help ya out.

    PM Master Sergeant

  4. #3
    Senior Member steveo143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    I'm at 131/2x1 on the PS 303 motor.
    steveo143 AKA DiMarco 21 II



    Now totally Green on E-85, saving the world one ear of corn at a time!
    RIP Davey B and Denis and Chris and Bob GN7

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default

    My 572 14.5 - 1 compression ratio runs well on E85. I test the fuel for ethanol/gas ratio and adjust if neededeach time I buy from the pump to ensure 85% ethanol 15% gas. Your mileage willdecrease by 30% which can be a bummer with a lake boat. You will need a goodfuel delivery system. For a normally aspirated deal like mine you may have amidrange stumble in the engine. My engine idles fine but will stumble a bituntil about 4K rmp then it will clear up. I am told the specific gravity of thefuel has something to do with that. I am told blown or turboengines do not have this problem. The engine makes 850hp at 5900rpm. I like the fuel and would not change it.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rocklin, Calif.
    Posts
    1,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Sergeant View Post
    My 572 14.5 - 1 compression ratio runs well on E85. I test the fuel for ethanol/gas ratio and adjust if neededeach time I buy from the pump to ensure 85% ethanol 15% gas. Your mileage willdecrease by 30% which can be a bummer with a lake boat. You will need a goodfuel delivery system. For a normally aspirated deal like mine you may have amidrange stumble in the engine. My engine idles fine but will stumble a bituntil about 4K rmp then it will clear up. I am told the specific gravity of thefuel has something to do with that. I am told blown or turboengines do not have this problem. The engine makes 850hp at 5900rpm. I like the fuel and would not change it.
    Cool..my junk is 14.1..and no stumble on 110,...junk yard deal 750hp

  8. #6
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone Green View Post
    Cool..my junk is 14.1..and no stumble on 110,...junk yard deal 750hp
    What do you pay per gallon?

  9. #7
    Village Idiot fc-Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,375

    Default

    I have done a few bigger cube BBC with 13.5 to 1, one with steel heads. They were happy as can be, but never done anything that high yet.

    Master Sargent, you may want to play with your IFR or intermediate circuit to smooth out the "Dead Spot". That has nothing to do with the type of fuel. Sounds like you have one heck of a stout combo. Sounds like fun!

    Paul

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fc-Pilot View Post
    I have done a few bigger cube BBC with 13.5 to 1, one with steel heads. They were happy as can be, but never done anything that high yet.

    Master Sargent, you may want to play with your IFR or intermediate circuit to smooth out the "Dead Spot". That has nothing to do with the type of fuel. Sounds like you have one heck of a stout combo. Sounds like fun!

    Paul
    If the carbs are 3 circuit Dominators, I would head straight to the intermediate circuit if its happening at that RPM.
    What I can't tell from the post is, is it laying down, or is breaking up.

    Its its laying down, there is a possibility that its not getting on the main quick enough and running on the intermediate up to that point.
    E85 is pretty viscous and it doesn't flow as easily as gasoline. You not only need more, but its harder to move.
    Who did the carbs? QF conversion???



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    If the carbs are 3 circuit Dominators, I would head straight to the intermediate circuit if its happening at that RPM.
    What I can't tell from the post is, is it laying down, or is breaking up.

    Its its laying down, there is a possibility that its not getting on the main quick enough and running on the intermediate up to that point.
    E85 is pretty viscous and it doesn't flow as easily as gasoline. You not only need more, but its harder to move.
    Who did the carbs? QF conversion???
    Performance carb PC did the conversion. It was sent back to them and looked at with no change. Joey Grose who built the engine worked with PC carbs to try a few things with no improvements. I was told that it was typical for an E85 NA build and just learned to live with it. I have found that there is a lot of controversy when it comes to E85 conversions.

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Sergeant View Post
    Performance carb PC did the conversion. It was sent back to them and looked at with no change. Joey Grose who built the engine worked with PC carbs to try a few things with no improvements. I was told that it was typical for an E85 NA build and just learned to live with it. I have found that there is a lot of controversy when it comes to E85 conversions.
    There is nothing controversial about E85 conversions, there are good ones and not so good, and bad.
    I can almost bet you are lean in that spot, if not everywhere else. You wouldn't the first one with PC carbs at was. Seen couple motors go poof. 2 in one weekend------in the same boat. If you don't fix it, I suggest you don't hang out at that rpm range too long.
    Not saying its not possible to be too rich in that range, but with the rich-lean tuning window of E85, and the fact that E85 conversions tend to be too lean if anything, my money says its a lean condition.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 01-21-2014 at 06:52 PM.

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Rocklin, Calif.
    Posts
    1,396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Sergeant View Post
    What do you pay per gallon?
    In a drum, about $6 bucks..a 5, $10 bucks...But I know what I have...

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone Green View Post
    In a drum, about $6 bucks..a 5, $10 bucks...But I know what I have...
    Cool. Feel free to tell us.
    I bought 5 gallons of pump, VP, Sunoco, Torco, and Ignite e85 and 114, and I am still not 100% sure whats in any of them.

    You have good idea whats not in it.

    A BETTER description would be, you know its the same as the last time you bought , and will be the next time you buy it. What ever it is, its the same each time.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 01-21-2014 at 07:06 PM.

  15. #13
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone Green View Post
    In a drum, about $6 bucks..a 5, $10 bucks...But I know what I have...
    $6 is a good price

  16. #14
    Retired Air Force Master Sergeant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lake Havasu
    Posts
    940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    There is nothing controversial about E85 conversions, there are good ones and not so good, and bad.
    I can almost bet you are lean in that spot, if not everywhere else. You wouldn't the first one with PC carbs at was. Seen couple motors go poof. 2 in one weekend------in the same boat. If you don't fix it, I suggest you don't hang out at that rpm range too long.
    Not saying its not possible to be too rich in that range, but with the rich-lean tuning window of E85, and the fact that E85 conversions tend to be too lean if anything, my money says its a lean condition.
    I bought an RPM Performance wideband o2 sensor and found the afr is around 9 to 10 at full throttle and closer to 12 at 4000 rpm
    (red line is rpm) (black is O2)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	462921  
    Last edited by Master Sergeant; 01-21-2014 at 07:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95