internal balance...really?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 89

Thread:
internal balance...really?

  1. #1
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default internal balance...really?

    how many of you guys are running Eagle "internal balance" cranks. According to their newest ads, all their cranks are internally balanced. REALLY! Always wondered how Eagle managed to internal a 6.135 rod crank when NO ONE ELSE can do it. Including GM. Every internal balance crank I have ever seen except Eagles, requires a 6.385 rod to clear the larger counter weight needed. Well now I know. It's unbelieveable that any crank company would call this "INTERNAL BALANCE". That pork chop on the flywheel flange is on damn near the same plain as the flywheel/flex plate. Hell, it is on the same plain! and it is almost as big as the last inside counter weight. I wouldn't buy into that thing on a 4.5" crank, let alone a 4.00" How can this be better than a weight on the flywheel? Internal balance to me is between the front and rear mains. See the crank in the 3rd pic? that's internal balance.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	21969   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	21971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0189.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	21972  
    Last edited by gn7; 10-09-2008 at 04:36 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    You're just now figuring that out?
    It is a bit of a joke, isn't it. At least you don't have to run a weighted balancer...or should you?
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 10-09-2008 at 05:20 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  4. #3
    marina manor trash
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    a 1/2 & 1/2 so.ca/parker,az
    Posts
    241

    Default $$

    got a new one & we had it checked,cost us more money for the Mallory to balance it then it cost for the crank-thats now a door stop

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Village Idiot fc-Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,291

    Default

    O.K. I am not jumping in to start anything, but just throwing it our there as general info. We ran a Cola crank (yes American made) that had a rear flange just like that. We ran it for eight years in two of our funnycars without any problems. During one season we put over three hundred passes on the engine. Anyway, take the info for what it is worth. After the success of that crank we have used three more Cola cranks since. I would stand them next to a Lunati or Callies any day for durability.

    Now as for the eagles, I have built a few engines with them, but could not tell you any details being that I have not inspected them yet.

    Paul

  7. #5
    Cantard 71hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    snow bank
    Posts
    5,017

    Default

    I am using one of those pos cranks.
    I will let you know when it fails. Till then could you hold your breath? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    It would be a balmy 85* in Steel's shop if he would move a little faster

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fc-Pilot View Post
    O.K. I am not jumping in to start anything, but just throwing it our there as general info. We ran a Cola crank (yes American made) that had a rear flange just like that. We ran it for eight years in two of our funnycars without any problems. During one season we put over three hundred passes on the engine. Anyway, take the info for what it is worth. After the success of that crank we have used three more Cola cranks since. I would stand them next to a Lunati or Callies any day for durability.

    Now as for the eagles, I have built a few engines with them, but could not tell you any details being that I have not inspected them yet.

    Paul
    not really trash talking Eagle cranks here, (although I do not or will not run them)or that any crank shouldn't or doesn't need a rear counter weight. Or that it is such terrible thing. 327 and 350 chevies have a rear counter weight. BUT THEY ARE NOT INTERNALLY BALANCED if they do. They are neutral balanced. Just saying that there is no real difference between the weight on the rear of the crank or being on the flywheel, it the same plain. So if you have problem with the weight on the rear of the crank then you should have no problem with a counter weighted flywheel. And it takes a whole lot less weight to accomplish.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  9. #7
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    You're just now figuring that out?
    It is a bit of a joke, isn't it. At least you don't have to run a weighted balancer...or should you?
    yeah, woke up yesterday morning and the bulb lit up



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  10. #8
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    my 4.25 stroke/6.385 eagle set-up is internal balanced, self racing in durant okla did the work and he said it balanced out very nicely, no heavy metal added, just material taken outta it. i've zinged it to 7800 many a time without issue, i run a 427 neutral balancer and 350 flywheel.

  11. #9
    Just another Wannabe Wannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    The advantage as I see it is people have less to screw up by the possibility of puting the wrong balancer and flexplate on it. Just 'internally balanced' stuff.
    Seen this too many times where someone puts on the wrong balance package on their balancer or flexplate and now know why the thing shakes so bad.

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
    The advantage as I see it is people have less to screw up by the possibility of puting the wrong balancer and flexplate on it. Just 'internally balanced' stuff.
    Seen this too many times where someone puts on the wrong balance package on their balancer or flexplate and now know why the thing shakes so bad.
    people who are that stupid can just as easy put a counter weight flywheel on a nuetral balance crank. It kinda goes both ways when you are that stupid. Not saying a rear counter weight is good or bad, but I am willing to bet that those that really trash talk external, really have external. SEE IMPATIENTS POST ABOVE



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 10-10-2008 at 11:30 AM.

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    my 4.25 stroke/6.385 eagle set-up is internal balanced, self racing in durant okla did the work and he said it balanced out very nicely, no heavy metal added, just material taken outta it. i've zinged it to 7800 many a time without issue, i run a 427 neutral balancer and 350 flywheel.
    sorry, but I have seen those cranks, they are not "internal" check it the next time you have you flywheel off.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    sorry, but I have seen those cranks, they are not "internal" check it the next time you have you flywheel off.
    are you talking about the counterweight flange on the back that the flwyheel bolts too? kinda confused, i understand the difference between internal and neutral, but its always been my understanding that if the rotating assembly is neutral balanced without the help of externals weight(flywheel/dampner), that's internal balanced. my machinist is no fool and told me to run a hub if i wanted, and i told him i was gonna rev limit at 7500.

  15. #13
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Honestly, who really gives a shit if neutral balance is achieved with either a counterweight on the crank externally or if the counterweights are on the flywheel/balancer combo? If you spin check the crank and it checks out as a neutral balanced crank, run an internal balance flywheel/balancer combo and call it good. Who gives a shit what they refer to it as?



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  16. #14
    Cantard 71hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    snow bank
    Posts
    5,017

    Default

    I know some big name engine builders do not like these cranks and I also say that they are thinking if its half the price it must be half as good but I can tell you I have seen some crazy #,s put down with these and more and more guys are running them. I have yet to see a broken eagle rod. I have seen a set of melted ones and I do mean MELTED but never broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    It would be a balmy 85* in Steel's shop if he would move a little faster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95