need louder exhaust
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 17

Thread:
need louder exhaust

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    OC & Havasu
    Posts
    30

    Unhappy need louder exhaust

    yes ... I know about sound laws and everyone will tell me to stay quiet ... I hear those people .... BUT ... I have a 25 Eliminator Eagtle with a 496 and Gibson bullets. Quiet as a church mouse. A pontoon boat sounds badder than my boat !!! I bought some CMI's headers ...still quiet ... then I spent $800 on Gatlin tips at Absolute in Havasu expecting a least some sound ... nothing ... same as the Gibsons ... still quiet. I spoke with a guy at Eliminator ... he said try cutting away at the gatlins ... that sounds good to me ... I have already wasted the $800 ... but is there another way ... are some of the tips that make all the cool sound just open exhaust without any muffler? Please help me ...my kids think my boat is wimpy. Thanks, Mike

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member The Violater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    yes ... I know about sound laws and everyone will tell me to stay quiet ... I hear those people .... BUT ... I have a 25 Eliminator Eagtle with a 496 and Gibson bullets. Quiet as a church mouse. A pontoon boat sounds badder than my boat !!! I bought some CMI's headers ...still quiet ... then I spent $800 on Gatlin tips at Absolute in Havasu expecting a least some sound ... nothing ... same as the Gibsons ... still quiet. I spoke with a guy at Eliminator ... he said try cutting away at the gatlins ... that sounds good to me ... I have already wasted the $800 ... but is there another way ... are some of the tips that make all the cool sound just open exhaust without any muffler? Please help me ...my kids think my boat is wimpy. Thanks, Mike
    Straight pipe outs w/ rewarder inserts.............. sound great also supposed to pull the exhaust out by the swirl pattern inside and are supposed to be legal..................
    / The Few The Proud TheBlown

  4. #3
    No Sandbar To Far sanger rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    3,276

    Default

    Spend some of that money on adding HP and it'll get louder.
    Quote Originally Posted by One More Year View Post
    The only blab's I will even be a part of is just when it is me they are talking about. Aaaah yes I can see a few good looking shiny tall deck motors on the beach, with barely enough fuel to get back to the launch saying, "Holy crap how fast you think that Daytona was going man? That's like the 20th time he's gone by today?"

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Choking my ....... beerjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Posts
    355

    Default

    I used to have supertapp's on my OT jet boat . Never got hassled but they were loud . I took them out and since the sound was diverted away from the boat , it was alot quieter . Could be whats goin on with you . It may not be very loud in the front seat , but I'm sure your pissing off a few folks on shore . Especially in a boat the size of yours . The noise might just be diverted straight back . Not tomention all the water in exhaust .

  7. #5
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,138

    Default

    I dont know anything about these types of exhaust systems but do these tips have baffels installed or somthing? Changing just a tip isnt going to make all that much of a difference unless there's some type of baffel or flap on them. My guess is that you have a baffel up in that exhaust some where.

  8. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    You know those annoying as phuk lowered Honda's (cars) with the 6" exhaust tip on their 4 cylinder engine... yea those, use one of those tips on each exhaust outlet.

  9. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, CA.
    Posts
    3,605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beerjet View Post
    I used to have supertapp's on my OT jet boat . Never got hassled but they were loud . I took them out and since the sound was diverted away from the boat , it was alot quieter . Could be whats goin on with you . It may not be very loud in the front seat , but I'm sure your pissing off a few folks on shore . Especially in a boat the size of yours . The noise might just be diverted straight back . Not tomention all the water in exhaust .
    Seriously though, I'm going with this answer. I was told my boat was at least twice as loud as any boat out at the river when I was there and I had no idea it was that loud, there was even a boat there with zoomies on it.

  10. #8
    Cantard 71hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    snow bank
    Posts
    5,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    Seriously though, I'm going with this answer. I was told my boat was at least twice as loud as any boat out at the river when I was there and I had no idea it was that loud, there was even a boat there with zoomies on it.
    I will second that. Last time I was out I was putting the boots to it and there was a message on my phone when I got home from a guy 3 miles away givin me shit for not stoppin in. I know its loud but had no idea that loud.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    It would be a balmy 85* in Steel's shop if he would move a little faster

  11. #9
    Choking my ....... beerjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga
    Posts
    355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod56cars View Post
    Seriously though, I'm going with this answer. I was told my boat was at least twice as loud as any boat out at the river when I was there and I had no idea it was that loud, there was even a boat there with zoomies on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 71hallett View Post
    I will second that. Last time I was out I was putting the boots to it and there was a message on my phone when I got home from a guy 3 miles away givin me shit for not stoppin in. I know its loud but had no idea that loud.
    In my situation , I figured it out at the lake when I fired the boat up at the ramp . I'm pulling away and me and my wife are having a conversation. That was the first thing she noticed and loved as did I . In my case anyways . Of course from there on out I was tryin to make it louder .

  12. #10
    E-7 Sheepdog (ret) SmokinLowriderSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newton Ks.
    Posts
    6,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    yes ... I know about sound laws and everyone will tell me to stay quiet ... I hear those people .... BUT ... I have already wasted the $800 ... but is there another way ... are some of the tips that make all the cool sound just open exhaust without any muffler?
    How much money do you want to spend on the citations and being run off the water by the water cops after towing the boat there, and how cool will your boat be on the trailer when you keep getting run off the water.
    Great "cool factor" there.

    Oh well. If you want noise, ditch the motor cover hatch, put on a blower and zoomies.

    Then buy your kids earplugs.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken

    OBAMA: Some people deserve this.
    The rest of us are being dragged along kicking and screaming.

  13. #11
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanger rat View Post
    Spend some of that money on adding HP and it'll get louder.
    Ditto, can't make a boat lowd if it don't got the balls to make it sound off!

  14. #12
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beerjet View Post
    In my situation , I figured it out at the lake when I fired the boat up at the ramp . I'm pulling away and me and my wife are having a conversation. That was the first thing she noticed and loved as did I . In my case anyways . Of course from there on out I was tryin to make it louder .
    So what are you saying? Lowd pipes save wifes.

  15. #13
    Senior Member EdonShano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Arroyo Grande
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike K View Post
    yes ... I know about sound laws and everyone will tell me to stay quiet ... I hear those people .... BUT ... I have a 25 Eliminator Eagtle with a 496 and Gibson bullets. Quiet as a church mouse. A pontoon boat sounds badder than my boat !!! I bought some CMI's headers ...still quiet ... then I spent $800 on Gatlin tips at Absolute in Havasu expecting a least some sound ... nothing ... same as the Gibsons ... still quiet. I spoke with a guy at Eliminator ... he said try cutting away at the gatlins ... that sounds good to me ... I have already wasted the $800 ... but is there another way ... are some of the tips that make all the cool sound just open exhaust without any muffler? Please help me ...my kids think my boat is wimpy. Thanks, Mike
    I changed my tips to the new dana's with their style of baffle, no mufflers just the same set-up I've always ran..while at the ramp, people are always asking what I have in there cause it sounds real good...get rid of the Gatlin tips it will get the sound you are looking for..BUT it will be MUCH louder while you are cruisin down the lake....once you try that get ahold of me..i have a few more tricks for you to try..

  16. #14
    "The" masheenist wsuwrhr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Living in Alta Loma, working in Upland
    Posts
    5,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sanger rat View Post
    Spend some of that money on adding HP and it'll get louder.

    Nothing like the sound of overlap and 13:1 compression

    Brian
    SB Products:Inspiring metal to change shape, one chip at a time.
    Good labor isn't cheap, cheap labor isn't good.
    The United States, the new and improved Roman Empire.
    Buy American made goods whenever you can, the job you save may be your own.


+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95