injection comparison
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 21

Thread:
injection comparison

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default injection comparison

    is there any power to be had or lost between a hat injector(bug catcher) compared to the older style 4 hole vertical hilborn I just picked up a 6-71 littlefield and want to go injected alcohol on a 336ci sbc

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Ain't Right Racin piston in the wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sapulpa ok
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    I would stick with the hat.
    QE 2050 W/ a Junk ass screw blower

    90% of the game is half mental... The pursuit of the unknown is priceless & gratifying . Sometimes it just takes good old fashion balls. No amount of reasoning or evaluation can deem it right or wrong. At the end of the day stick with whatever gives the person in question morning wood LOL

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by piston in the wind View Post
    I would stick with the hat.
    to keep the air speed up for the small cubic inch or is the hat just a better design I have he 4 hole already

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Members only MAXIMUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Close by
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiebro View Post
    to keep the air speed up for the small cubic inch or is the hat just a better design I have he 4 hole already
    The 4 hole upright is a pretty friendly set up from what I have seen. If you make sure it is set up for you application, it should work well. The Enderle's tend to be a little more touchy. Besides a Bug catcher is for lawn mowers... You must of ment a Bird? Buzzard is better...

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I have an old 4 port upright that I ran for a long time and can say that it can be set up to run good and be user friendly. The only reason that I took it off was everyone couldn't start the motor when I wanted to ski. I never even primed it to start. About the time that the oil pressure came up it had fuel. I did make a water pump that was mounted low in the boat and the fuel pump was on the back of it on the other side of the motor plate. You can't beat the throttle response ! :-) I am going to put them back on since I don't ski any more . :-(

    GD

  8. #6
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    The 4 hole upright is a pretty friendly set up from what I have seen. If you make sure it is set up for you application, it should work well. The Enderle's tend to be a little more touchy. Besides a Bug catcher is for lawn mowers... You must of ment a Bird? Buzzard is better...

    I meant bug its only 336ci

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The vertical 4 hole has a lot better throttle control.
    is that due to having the injector in the throttle bore instead of the open plenum?

  11. #9
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtiebro View Post
    is that due to having the injector in the throttle bore instead of the open plenum?
    Yep, and the fact that the blades are smaller. Some hats like the Crower and Hilborn 4 hole have better control than the Enderle type hats as well.

    Between the size of the blade, and the lack of surrounding bore, it doesn't take much blade movement with a big and ugly to match the flow of a bug wide open.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Yep, and the fact that the blades are smaller. Some hats like the Crower and Hilborn 4 hole have better control than the Enderle type hats as well.

    Between the size of the blade, and the lack of surrounding bore, it doesn't take much blade movement with a big and ugly to match the flow of a bug wide open.
    right on same kind of theory I had going in my head thanks for the insight now I just have to find a junk hood to cut a hole in for the scoop to peek out of

  13. #11
    Members only MAXIMUS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Close by
    Posts
    4,518

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Yep, and the fact that the blades are smaller. Some hats like the Crower and Hilborn 4 hole have better control than the Enderle type hats as well.

    Between the size of the blade, and the lack of surrounding bore, it doesn't take much blade movement with a big and ugly to match the flow of a bug wide open.
    Ummmm..... actually I must disagree with you Bobby... This is not a carburator and we don't care about air signals to the horns... What I have seen is more due to barrel valve style, location of the bypass poppets and fuel pump size in relation to usage. Andy's set up worked like a charm right from Hillborn with their "shelf" tune. For a throw on deal the 4 hole hillborn is simple and works. For making lots of power the fuel distribution on that set up is similar to your idea of a rock and a hole. However... its a pretty good set up.

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    Ummmm..... actually I must disagree with you Bobby... This is not a carburator and we don't care about air signals to the horns... What I have seen is more due to barrel valve style, location of the bypass poppets and fuel pump size in relation to usage. Andy's set up worked like a charm right from Hillborn with their "shelf" tune. For a throw on deal the 4 hole hillborn is simple and works. For making lots of power the fuel distribution on that set up is similar to your idea of a rock and a hole. However... its a pretty good set up.
    I was not talking fuel control. Throttle control!!! Like in not needing some nautilus snail cam to doctor the throttle input from the right foot. Specially if you're an old worn out diaper wearing geriatric



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 04-29-2014 at 05:10 PM.

  15. #13
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    the vertical 4 hole has a lot better throttle control.
    x 2
    I've driven both and owed both the more holes the better the handling and throttle responds
    Last edited by jimclauss; 04-29-2014 at 05:41 PM.

  16. #14
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    The 4 hole upright is a pretty friendly set up from what I have seen. If you make sure it is set up for you application, it should work well. The Enderle's tend to be a little more touchy. Besides a Bug catcher is for lawn mowers... You must of ment a Bird? Buzzard is better...
    Bug catcher is for a lawn mower. Tell Duff Daily that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95