Difference between a Holley blue & black fuel pump?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 22

Thread:
Difference between a Holley blue & black fuel pump?

  1. #1
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Question Difference between a Holley blue & black fuel pump?

    Hi guys anybody out there know the differences between a Holley blue fuel pump and the black? Basically my old Holley blue will no longer keep up with my fuel requirements at WOT so I was wondering if I could modify it like the "black" first or if I just need to look into a bigger fuel pump. From the pictures the two pumps look the same externally but I have never seen the inside of the "black".

    Thanks,
    Loren

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,275

    Default

    The Black is a 145gpm. I got your PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  4. #3
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    The Black is a 145gpm. I got your PM.
    Thanks and I replied back.

    After brain storming with another racer here at work I'm wondering if my electric motor is worn out. The pump is old and has been used double duty skiing, tubing, crusing and racing for more years than I want to admit publicly.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Marcsrollin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    El Cajon , Ca
    Posts
    574

    Default

    The holley black is also set up for alcohol , The blue is not.
    No matter how good she looks , someone is tired of her shit!

  7. #5
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivalride View Post
    Thanks and I replied back.

    After brain storming with another racer here at work I'm wondering if my electric motor is worn out. The pump is old and has been used double duty skiing, tubing, crusing and racing for more years than I want to admit publicly.
    my uncle has a slightly used mechanical 170gph holley pump that kept up with his blown 540 , twin dominators he's selling, no regulator needed. it flows great, no wires it has less than 3hrs on it, we've gotta run a belt driven deal on the new set-up to keep up with fuel demand.

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  8. #6
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    my uncle has a slightly used mechanical 170gph holley pump that kept up with his blown 540 , twin dominators he's selling, no regulator needed. it flows great, no wires it has less than 3hrs on it, we've gotta run a belt driven deal on the new set-up to keep up with fuel demand.

    Thanks but I do like the electric after running it for so long.

  9. #7
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivalride View Post
    Thanks but I do like the electric after running it for so long.
    yeah, i remember thinking that myself till i saw the flow map on a holley black electric pump at wot, the mechanical 170gph holley doubles the flow to the carb/s compared to the holley black don't believe advertising, it'll cost ya a piston

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivalride View Post
    Thanks but I do like the electric after running it for so long.
    WHY I have never worn out the electric motor on one



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    WHY I have never worn out the electric motor on one

    I find that hard to believe if you run them, even the ones in factory cars go out after so long.

  12. #10
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    yeah, i remember thinking that myself till i saw the flow map on a holley black electric pump at wot, the mechanical 170gph holley doubles the flow to the carb/s compared to the holley black don't believe advertising, it'll cost ya a piston

    This is just a NA tunnel rammed 467 that runs double duty. No nitrous so I think it will be fine.

  13. #11
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivalride View Post
    Hi guys anybody out there know the differences between a Holley blue fuel pump and the black? Basically my old Holley blue will no longer keep up with my fuel requirements at WOT so I was wondering if I could modify it like the "black" first or if I just need to look into a bigger fuel pump. From the pictures the two pumps look the same externally but I have never seen the inside of the "black".

    Thanks,
    Loren
    This Holley Black flows 120 gph at 9 psi. 120 gal x 6 lbs per gal = 730 lbs
    730 lbs @ .5 lbs fuel per hr per hp would feed 1,400hp. I wouldn't try it but that's the math. This pump has 3/8" connections it should be able to feed 700 hp with out much of a problem but it depends on the fuel lines, fuel filter and regulator and pick-up tube.



    This Holley HP -150 flows 140 gph at 16 psi. That's enough fuel to feed 1,680 hp. Once again, I wouldn't try it but that's the math at .5 lbs fuel per hr per hp. This pump has 1/2" connections. It shouldn't have much of a problem feeding nearly 1,000 hp depending on fuel lines, filter, fuel pick-up tube and regulator


    The HP-150 feeds the 565 no problem (935 hp) with -8 lines from the tank to the regulator.

    I think the HP-150 cost's about $ 55.00 more.

    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    Last edited by Sleeper CP; 11-20-2008 at 03:57 PM.

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  14. #12
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,275

    Default

    I ran the black pump on my 467 with no issues whatsoever. Yes, a fuel pump can wear out...I just replaced one for that very problem. It may not "sound" like it's worn out, but put it on a scope and see what the waves look like. It's easy enough to replace the blue with the black...same for same, no hassles, and plenty of pump.
    KISS
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  15. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivalride View Post
    I find that hard to believe if you run them, even the ones in factory cars go out after so long.
    are you comparing an oem mech with a claly smith, edelbrock, or holley six valve pump? I didn't compare the black Holley to the POS O.E.M. pump that took a shit on my EFI Mustang. They all take a shit eventually, other wise there would be no reason for parts houses, and we would all just go to salage yards for the unbreakable OEM crap(oh shit, I just admitted I drive a Ford in front of Steel, AGAIN)



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 11-20-2008 at 05:20 PM.

  16. #14
    Cantard 71hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    snow bank
    Posts
    5,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    WHY I have never worn out the electric motor on one
    ohhh man.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    It would be a balmy 85* in Steel's shop if he would move a little faster

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95