3-Keyway Timing Sets
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 24

Thread:
3-Keyway Timing Sets

  1. #1
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default 3-Keyway Timing Sets

    I have a Comp Cams #2110 timing set, which has a 3-keyway crank sprocket.

    In order to ask the question I am going to thoroughly explain the facts as I know them in order to make the question easy to understand.

    The below timing mark explanations are worded in a way that assumes the cam is ground "straight up" (no advance or retard).

    The keyway for the "O" timing mark is for "straight up".

    The instructions say that the triangle shaped keyway is for 4* advance.

    The instructions say that the square shaped keyway is for 4* retard.

    My question is:

    According to the instructions, the triangle shaped keyway is for 4* advance. Does this refer to 4* CAM advance or 4* CRANK advance? Does this mean that if I use the triangle shaped keyway that it will advance the CRANK 4*, which in effect will retard the CAM 2* since the cam spins at half the crank speed?

    Or will the triangle shaped mark retard the CRANK 4* to advance the CAM 2*?



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member GT Jets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Morgan Hill
    Posts
    2,234

    Default

    "Advanced" indicates cam advanced, you can get an "Offset keyway" that will buy you more-less depending on what way it's installed, I recommend using a degree wheel and double checking the cam timing for what you want, 4* IMO is a lot if you dont have a starting point, my freind who is an automotive machine shop teacher always uses a Jesel belt system to dyno tune the valve timing then goes back to the chain, set for the findings... Good luck!

    GT
    GT


    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    Put a 300 on the back of it, Flywheel it and a nosecone. $15,000 later you'll have a 65 mph pile of shit......

  4. #3
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    Degrees are degrees read on a degree wheel.

    They are always crankshaft degrees.

    But you always check them. Can't tell you how many Comp sets I have checked that were off.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
    Degrees are degrees read on a degree wheel.

    They are always crankshaft degrees.

    But you always check them. Can't tell you how many Comp sets I have checked that were off.
    OK so by changing the cam timing by 2* of camshaft rotation , that will actually move the timing events by 4* of crankshaft rotation. In other words, the cam only has to advance 2* of cam rotation to move the intake centerline from 110* to 106* (difference of 4*) of crank rotation. Am I correct in saying this?

    Also, according to my instructions, the "triangle" keyway is the 4* advance keyway while the "square" keyway is the 4* retard keyway. Does this mean that if I use the "triangle" symbol that it will advance the CAM? Or will using the "triangle" symbol advance the CRANK instead?



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  7. #5
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetaholic View Post
    OK so by changing the cam timing by 2* of camshaft rotation , that will actually move the timing events by 4* of crankshaft rotation. In other words, the cam only has to advance 2* of cam rotation to move the intake centerline from 110* to 106* (difference of 4*) of crank rotation. Am I correct in saying this?

    Also, according to my instructions, the "triangle" keyway is the 4* advance keyway while the "square" keyway is the 4* retard keyway. Does this mean that if I use the "triangle" symbol that it will advance the CAM? Or will using the "triangle" symbol advance the CRANK instead?
    It will move the valve timing events by that many degrees. But degrees are crankshaft degrees. The valves open and close relative to crankshaft position.

    For example if the intake opens 12 degrees before top center as ground. It should open 16 degrees BTC by advancing or using the triangle keyway.

    All measured on a degree wheel. Connected to the crankshaft.

    But there is no guarantee. You really need to measure it straight up (by the gears) before doing anything. And why advance or retard it?

  8. #6
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
    It will move the valve timing events by that many degrees. But degrees are crankshaft degrees. The valves open and close relative to crankshaft position.

    For example if the intake opens 12 degrees before top center as ground. It should open 16 degrees BTC by advancing or using the triangle keyway.

    All measured on a degree wheel. Connected to the crankshaft.

    But there is no guarantee. You really need to measure it straight up before doing anything. And why advance or retard it?

    "Advance" in my post was used merely as an example to help explain my question.

    The cam I have is ground 2* advanced (112* LSA installed on 110* intake centerline). This will put the intake at 110* ATDC and the exhaust centerline at 114* BTDC when installed on the "O" mark on the crank gear. On a jet boat application I don't see any reason to advance the cam at all since the motor doesn't really see much of a load below 4000 RPM anyway, so I was hoping to retard it 2* so that the cam would be installed "straight up" (112* ATDC intake centerline and 112* BTDC exhaust centerline). In order to do this it's looking like I'm gonna need a different crank gear to make it happen.



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  9. #7
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetaholic View Post
    "Advance" in my post was used merely as an example to help explain my question.

    The cam I have is ground 2* advanced (112* LSA installed on 110* intake centerline). This will put the intake at 110* ATDC and the exhaust centerline at 114* BTDC when installed on the "O" mark on the crank gear. On a jet boat application I don't see any reason to advance the cam at all since the motor doesn't really see much of a load below 4000 RPM anyway, so I was hoping to retard it 2* so that the cam would be installed "straight up" (112* ATDC intake centerline and 112* BTDC exhaust centerline). In order to do this it's looking like I'm gonna need a different crank gear to make it happen.
    Yep and advance is just used as an example by me also.

    I guess what I am really trying to say is get the degree wheel out and measure it as is in the straight up (by the gear) position before brain fukin yourself to death on what to do. Chances are it will not degree out as printed on the card regardless of what it is supposed to be.

    You might get lucky and it fall 2* retarded, you might buy some degree bushings drill the cam gear and jack with it until you get it where you want it or you might buy the slightly fancier timing set with the adjustable bushing to put it right where you want it the fast way.

  10. #8
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    And maybe we went about it the long way. Retarding it 2* will put it back to where you want it. (The true straight up position)

    And the cam bushing method is the way I see you going about it. Again if it degrees in where it is supposed to.

    The issue with some Comp sets I have had is the dots do not line up when they are supposed to. It's very disturbing. I set the degree wheel up with a piston stop. Line up the dots, go back and look at the dots when the wheel says exact TDC and they are off. Not only off but can't physically line them up when the engine is at TDC.

  11. #9
    [email protected]
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
    Not only off but can't physically line them up when the engine is at TDC.
    I ran into this with a Crane set. Also, the gears wouldn't line up with a straight edge. I ended up using one gear from the new set and one from the old set to get it right. Never seen anything like that before.

    Tim

  12. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default 2 words

    Chain Stretch............Get a gear drive, degree it in, and forget about it....Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  13. #11
    LP-25.com Infomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    New Port Richey, FL
    Posts
    16,872

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat 005 View Post
    I ran into this with a Crane set. Also, the gears wouldn't line up with a straight edge. I ended up using one gear from the new set and one from the old set to get it right. Never seen anything like that before.

    Tim
    Yea I just put the crank and cam in the correct position and make my own dot.

  14. #12
    [email protected]
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,011

    Default 1 word

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Chain Stretch............Get a gear drive, degree it in, and forget about it....Ray
    Jesel!! It's sitting here waiting to go in. Also have a Pete Jackson in the box I used for a couple years. Between a chain or gear I'd go gear. Jesel seems to be the the drive of choice now. We'll see how it works out.

    Tim

  15. #13
    Sit N' Spin Jetaholic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Droppin' the kids off at the pool
    Posts
    1,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Infomaniac View Post
    Yea I just put the crank and cam in the correct position and make my own dot.
    Ya know I had thought about doing that exact same thing. Finding TDC, then rotating the crank so that it's 7* before TDC (that's the intake opens 0.050" on my particular cam) or 5* BTDC if I plan to retard it 2* as mentioned above, then rotating the cam by hand until the dial gauge indicates 0.050" on the intake lobe, then removing the cam sprocket and installing the chain at this point. I'm thinking if the camshaft doesn't move when I pull the cam gear off to install the chain it should work?



    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown
    Kendall L-427 Super Blu...extreme-pressure (ep) lithium complex keeps my thrusting balls happy
    Quote Originally Posted by back2k5 View Post
    Well I am putting in a nice stereo system in the Carrera...maybe Ill put on some rap and turn the scoop sideways

  16. #14
    [email protected]
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    I think I would degree it in straight up to see where it's at. Then use an off set key or bushing to set it where you want it.

    Tim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95