420 mega blower
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 30

Thread:
420 mega blower

  1. #1
    classic hot boater Orange Peel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Island NC
    Posts
    1,174

    Default 420 mega blower

    what is this close to 6-71 or what?
    and would it be a good blower for a 454?
    and if so looking for some info on what i would have to run? pistons,cam,crank,rods ect.......
    would be going in a 18ft jet now im turning about 5500 with 450-475hp w/A impeller??
    Never forget where you come from,no matter where you are going.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Manwhore!!!!! Quick99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fullerton, California, United States
    Posts
    369

    Default

    Bigger than a 6 smaller than an 8-71.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quick99 View Post
    Bigger than a 6 smaller than an 8-71.
    that would make it about a 7-71! lol

    FastRat

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Kingman/Golden Vly, Az
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    what is this close to 6-71 or what?
    and would it be a good blower for a 454?
    and if so looking for some info on what i would have to run? pistons,cam,crank,rods ect.......
    would be going in a 18ft jet now im turning about 5500 with 450-475hp w/A impeller??
    so many ???...so little space lol ...anyways...need to know info on ur motor...current pistons, rods, crank, heads, cam, ign, 2 or 4 bolt, etc?...theres no "Super" secrets on running a blown motor in a pleasure boat...its a matter of the rite pieces & put together properly, so that it will "stay" together!...r u looking to go bigger on the c.i.'s?
    IMO the 420 is a good blower for a 454+...what all do u have for the blower?...kick us some info & we can go from there

    FastRat

  7. #5
    classic hot boater Orange Peel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Island NC
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FastRat View Post
    so many ???...so little space lol ...anyways...need to know info on ur motor...current pistons, rods, crank, heads, cam, ign, 2 or 4 bolt, etc?...theres no "Super" secrets on running a blown motor in a pleasure boat...its a matter of the rite pieces & put together properly, so that it will "stay" together!...r u looking to go bigger on the c.i.'s?
    IMO the 420 is a good blower for a 454+...what all do u have for the blower?...kick us some info & we can go from there

    FastRat
    dont have the blower just looking to get one i know where one is local.
    and not sure what i want to do, NOS or a blower i think i can get the blower for the same price and i have 9to1 comp now.
    but i have SRP pistons,cast crank,2 bolt,XM comp 288 cam(changing)all MSD
    truck rods(changing i think)not sure if its 30 or 60 over now will find out soon.
    as far as going bigger not if i dont have to.

    so really just tryin to get some feed back on what to do so i can fill up with pump gas and ride a few years without going threw it?????
    Never forget where you come from,no matter where you are going.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    dont have the blower just looking to get one i know where one is local.
    and not sure what i want to do, NOS or a blower i think i can get the blower for the same price and i have 9to1 comp now.
    but i have SRP pistons,cast crank,2 bolt,XM comp 288 cam(changing)all MSD
    truck rods(changing i think)not sure if its 30 or 60 over now will find out soon.
    as far as going bigger not if i dont have to.

    so really just tryin to get some feed back on what to do so i can fill up with pump gas and ride a few years without going threw it?????
    In the end I'm almost 100% positive the N20 setup will be cheaper for you. You will need the blower, blower intake, different carb setup, better fuel delivery system, and get your current pulley system working.

    For a budget I would do a N20 plate under the carb with a small shot. You could put in a small tank with race gas and an electric pump for the fuel noid. In the end this is very simple and cost effective.

  9. #7
    Senior Member cave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    4,704

    Default

    I can tell you this from recent experience Listen to these guys. If you go blown your gunna need to consider the fuel delivery. Make sure your valve train is up to the new power too. I thought the GM Hi performance valves were good enough. But they fell short for me. I'm now having new Inconel exhaust valves done. Along with a whole new fuel system set up. After getting a small experience with a blower, I'm sold. I'd do it all over again. But without the broken stuff

    Oh yea. Get a Pyro or AFR if possible. That would be my 1st purchase if I had it all over to do again.
    Last edited by cave; 12-30-2008 at 03:11 PM.
    Takin it home

  10. #8
    Senior Member bruddah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    san diawgo...a whales vagina/ parker
    Posts
    1,044

    Default

    kylemenz1 here on the boards is running one on his 525sc... pm him, i know he did a lot of research on the blower!

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    399

    Default

    These guys are leading you in the right direction. Things to consider, Carbs, Boost reference, fuel delivery,timing. ext. I am running a 420 on a 454 it's great. Keeping it low boost for reliability. And I run 91 octane for good measure.

  12. #10
    classic hot boater Orange Peel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Island NC
    Posts
    1,174

    Default got the blower!!!

    Cant wait till the warm weather gets here
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Orange Peel; 01-02-2009 at 05:39 PM. Reason: add pic
    Never forget where you come from,no matter where you are going.

  13. #11
    Senior Member TwinTurbo540's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Be carefull with that blower as they quit making them!!

    Travis

  14. #12
    classic hot boater Orange Peel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Island NC
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurbo540 View Post
    Be carefull with that blower as they quit making them!!

    Travis
    yea i know i am looking for bb intake now!!!

    thanks tho
    Never forget where you come from,no matter where you are going.

  15. #13
    Senior Member TwinTurbo540's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Ok, just checking! My buddies have made some awsome power with that blower before!! Do you not get the intake in the pic?

    Travis

  16. #14
    classic hot boater Orange Peel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Mt. Island NC
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurbo540 View Post
    Ok, just checking! My buddies have made some awsome power with that blower before!! Do you not get the intake in the pic?

    Travis
    Yes that is at my shop, but the intake is for SB
    Never forget where you come from,no matter where you are going.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95