bbc oil pump mod
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
bbc oil pump mod

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    179

    Default bbc oil pump mod

    hi, bbc moroso oil pump 22160 hv/anti cav race pump

    question is have anyone here modded this pump so the bypass returns to the sump and not bypass to pickup side of pump for reasons of oil over heat and oil aeration. looking to set pump bypass pressure 65 lb
    oil filter bypass adapter is blocked and putting a dual remote filter system with wix 51060r filters // oil pickup is 7/16 pan clearance
    i have been running straight vr1 30 weight oil but may switch to 10-30 syn after break in
    not sure if i will run my oil cooler until i get some temps

    for info motor is a bbc v-drive 565 with a 10qt dan olson pan dooley pickup and windage tray for endurance motor with upper rpm level of 6800-7200

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Boat Nut sleekcrafter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Elgin, Il.
    Posts
    5,131

    Default

    What are your oil temps running now? The pick-up some will say is a bit high, ideally it should be 1/4-3/8 of an inch off the pan. What are you using for windage control, plate or screen, I assume it's an plate being an Olson pan. You don't want any more oil in there than you really need, to keep it from aerating on the rotating assy.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    179

    Default

    hi sleek, this motor is my backup spare motor short block is done, just setting up oil pump with new pickup screen and checking clearances on pump and pickup to to pan..... i agree 7/16 is off a bit i will have to correct that before i button up the pan.

    it has a dooley steel tray for windage.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2

    Default Oil pump bypass

    To your question about returning to the pan and not the inlet, I have run a Moroso pump as you have, a standard volume, in a flat bottom race only with aluminum rods with the bypass as is. Never had a problem. You might want to give Larry Peto a call in Tucson @ Larry`s Engine and Marine, 520-623-5373

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Curious?

    Quote Originally Posted by flat601 View Post
    hi sleek, this motor is my backup spare motor short block is done, just setting up oil pump with new pickup screen and checking clearances on pump and pickup to to pan..... i agree 7/16 is off a bit i will have to correct that before i button up the pan.

    it has a dooley steel tray for windage.
    Yeah, I need another Dooley tray for our Dooley pan. That pan was beat up, bought it cheap from Jeff Wooton just to get back on the race circuit. It worked super, and Dooley even made me a screw in p/u for the Melling 10777 pump..(now discontinued)..What were the internal numbers for your pump? This is a shaky area with "out of the box" pumps. The Melling "super" series have been right on the money inside and I'm curious what you found inside?....Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    179

    Default

    hi ray. it's a decent moroso race pump with feeder grooves and anti cav slots

    but as far a clearance i have to save there a little off,the drive gear side was
    .0035 and the other was .003 I will machine them to .0025
    there is a lot of deburr to do in this pump

    i have one of the melling select 10777 in my 601 with a dooley pickup that i modded for the srcrew in pickup. i wish i would have checked it out now!!

    ray or anyone have you seen a pump mod like this

    http://www.system1filters.com/oilpumps.htm

    and would you run it on a endurance motor

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default 10777

    Quote Originally Posted by flat601 View Post
    hi ray. it's a decent moroso race pump with feeder grooves and anti cav slots

    but as far a clearance i have to save there a little off,the drive gear side was
    .0035 and the other was .003 I will machine them to .0025
    there is a lot of deburr to do in this pump

    i have one of the melling select 10777 in my 601 with a dooley pickup that i modded for the srcrew in pickup. i wish i would have checked it out now!!

    ray or anyone have you seen a pump mod like this

    http://www.system1filters.com/oilpumps.htm

    and would you run it on a endurance motor
    The 10777s I inspected were bitchen inside. .0023 to .0026, and even per pump. The 10778/10778C were .0025/.0026, and even per pump.......Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    179

    Default

    see pic's of pumps cast iron type this mod makes oil return to pan instead of bypassing to inlet side of pump........... any run this pump or this mod before

    http://www.system1filters.com/oilpumps.htm

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    179

    Default

    http://www.system1filters.com/oilpumps.htm

    check out cast bbc pump w/oil bypass
    is this a good mod for a endurance motor?????

    and has anyone tried it.???????? looking for info/ if 65 lbs of oil pressure is being sent to inlet side of pump (on a std bbc oil pump) what is keeping the oil backing down the pickup tube into the pan (reversion of sorts) and when does the this reversion get in the way for cool non aerated oil

    lets all kick the can around.


    thanks moneypit
    howabout it
    gn7
    steel cs19
    wags?
    anyone??
    Last edited by flat601; 03-20-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: info

  12. #10
    Village Idiot fc-Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,402

    Default

    Well, I am definitely not qualified to answer the technical side of the pump modifications, but having put their (system 1's) small block pump into our little boat and have been running the crap out of it for two years now and I feel comfortable saying it seems to work fairly well. In fairness, I have used other pumps in our drag race applications that worked just fine for the short duration use we subjected them to.

    I too would love to hear some of the technical info if someone has it to share. Ray (Moneypit) has always share info regarding his findings, which is very helpfully because he is just like us. He is trying to get the most out of his equipment with the limited resources that are at his disposal, and does a great job at it.

    Paul

  13. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Aw shucks!

    Quote Originally Posted by fc-Pilot View Post
    Well, I am definitely not qualified to answer the technical side of the pump modifications, but having put their (system 1's) small block pump into our little boat and have been running the crap out of it for two years now and I feel comfortable saying it seems to work fairly well. In fairness, I have used other pumps in our drag race applications that worked just fine for the short duration use we subjected them to.

    I too would love to hear some of the technical info if someone has it to share. Ray (Moneypit) has always share info regarding his findings, which is very helpfully because he is just like us. He is trying to get the most out of his equipment with the limited resources that are at his disposal, and does a great job at it.

    Paul
    C'mon Paul. Admit it, we're all just having fun and it's cheaper than drugs......Just as addictive, but cheaper in the long run......Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Although we have gone to billet pumps with built in pickups, we have used the System 1 with the relief back to the pan, and they do help reduce oil temp a little. You use to be able to buy just the cap from Childs and Albert but I don't know if that is still available. There are a couple of MUSTS with that cap though. First, the pickup tube really needs to be 3/4 because ALL the oil the pump moves has to come thru the pickup, whereas some of the oil is normally bypassed back to the pickup area internally. But most importantly, you can only use this cap with a snout drive v-drive because the oil pump and pickup must be in the rear of the boat. With a flywheel foward setup, the oil bypass dump would be to the front, with the pickup tube at the back of the pan. Now the bypassed oil has to travel to the back of the pan to get to the pickup, and this woould not be a good idea.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  15. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    179

    Default

    ok, i looked at the c/a cap deal it looks the same as system one. i could mod my pump with a bypass line that would run along the pickup screen v-drive flywheel forward poubly not worth all this work only to have something vibrate loose... well it sounds like a good mod for snout running v-drive or a jet. tnanks for all the imput you guys

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95