oil temp sensor locations
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
oil temp sensor locations

  1. #1
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default oil temp sensor locations

    Where is the best place to monitor oil temps?
    I have two sensors , one for my EFI to monitor engine temp
    and one for my Oil temp gauge.

    I was thinking engine temp in oil pan and the gauge sensor
    after the oil cooler

    I can set the parameters of the engine temp to work with
    oil temp or water temp, but figured water temp on a jet boat
    will not reflect the actual engine temp.
    #55

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Brendellajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ladera Ranch
    Posts
    2,135

    Default

    In the pan is the best place. Anywhere else and there will be some variance.

    On the water temp issue, it wont tell you the temp of the engine, just the temp of the water leaving the engine(depending on where the sender is of course.) Regardless, water temp still very useful tool, though not sure how it will impact the EFI.

  4. #3
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    i was monitoring my from the pan. Pfaff wants me to monitor it before it goes to the bearings... Not sure were exactly yet, my guess is one of the ports i have blocked off by the oil filter area on the block.

    They said somthing about the oil temp at the bearings is whats important because thats what your bearings are seeing, not the temp in the pan.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,075

    Default

    That's interesting before it goes to the bearings ?

    The pan is fine you don't have an endurance engine; you're building a "drag" engine aren't you or did something change ? So do they think the oil will be hotter or cooler at the filter ?

    What did your temp used to show ?

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  7. #5
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    i was monitoring my from the pan. Pfaff wants me to monitor it before it goes to the bearings... Not sure were exactly yet, my guess is one of the ports i have blocked off by the oil filter area on the block.

    They said somthing about the oil temp at the bearings is whats important because thats what your bearings are seeing, not the temp in the pan.
    Teague says the same thing, I don't get it myself. I measure the pan. If it's to hot there, it's to hot. If your running a oil cooler, how can the oil to the bearings be hotter than the pan, if then oil goes thru the cooler before entering the motor. Might measure it at the main galley if I didn't have a cooler. With a cooler, I measure the pan, thats the hottest place short of measureing as it leave the bearings, a good luck doing that



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    At Stef's we say the pan. This has been asked on several boards. You want the oil temp after it has cycled through the engine and returned to the pan. I even e-mailed a few oil companies and they said the like to see oil temp monitored from the pan.
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  9. #7
    cfm
    cfm is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    I agree, I like to see max oil temp - which would mean the pan.

    I have a theory as to why Teague and some others say 'after the cooler' and that theory is that they want to actually see the 'min temp' so that people don't go to full throttle/load when the oil is too cold. Most of these engine guys run crossovers, therefore oil temp can take a while to get up to temp depending on the waters boating at. Trying to get oil temp up in waters like mine during early spring/late fall, can take forever, if never, when idling or running low speed (waiting for oil temp to come up before jamming the throttles) with crossovers with no t-stats and big oil coolers.

    =================================================

    The EFI coolant temp sensor should be in the intake's crossover passage. EFI's have a certain temp the programmer chooses for when no extra fuel enrichment is needed (additional to main map) for 'warm up.' Merc uses a 160 t-stat for EFi since their programs consider anything under this 'still warming up.' Therefore running 'warmed up temps' under 160 will make the ECu run a richer A/F ratio than you want.

  10. #8
    I'm No Expert Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    San Clemente, Ca
    Posts
    3,139

    Default

    Oil doesnt do it's job when it gets too hot right? I think there idea behind it is that if the oil is too hot before it enters they want to know.

    I'll pick there brain on it a bit when i pickup my assembly, hopfully today...

    I started a topic on this way back on hotboat, the answer i got was the pan. So thats what i did. Unfortunitly i dont have a spot on this pan really to monitor temp now. Guess i can have sombody weld another bung to the pan for me.

  11. #9
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,075

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Oil doesnt do it's job when it gets too hot right?

    I think there idea behind it is Guess i can have sombody weld another bung to the pan for me.
    To Hot is over 250* of syn. If you can get oil to 215-220* on the river your doing pretty good. For your racing application put an oil heater on the pan and get it as hot as you can in the pits. It will cool substantially by the time you sit through staging.


    While the pan is off...good idea on the other bung.

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  12. #10
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfm View Post

    The EFI coolant temp sensor should be in the intake's crossover passage. EFI's have a certain temp the programmer chooses for when no extra fuel enrichment is needed (additional to main map) for 'warm up.' Merc uses a 160 t-stat for EFi since their programs consider anything under this 'still warming up.' Therefore running 'warmed up temps' under 160 will make the ECu run a richer A/F ratio than you want.
    I have to option to use oil temp for the EFI engine temp sensor in the
    setup page for the ECM, I'm leaning toward this because the water temp
    in my jet boat may fluctuate too much. Just thinking that after setting
    for awhile water temps may cool down and make the ECM think its a cold start again.
    #55

  13. #11
    cfm
    cfm is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    IS the ECU programmer giving that option to you ? Or are you making that an 'option' solely on the reason being you can wire it that way ?

    I've never heard of oil temp being used to adjust for air/fuel ratios and spark timing. Coolant temp would have more of an effect on combustion chamber surface temps than oil . Thus why we program to coolant temps and not oil temps.

    BTW: the ECu can be programmed to change this 'full warm up' point. IE: where extra fuel/timing is neither added or subtracted - baseline engine running paramters the engine is normally run at. Typically, It could be made 100 just as easy as 120, 140, 160, or where have you.


    If you want a more real / more exact temp measured, maybe installing the coolant temp sensor into the heads (if you can) would work better. ???

  14. #12
    cfm
    cfm is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Unfortunitly i dont have a spot on this pan really to monitor temp now. Guess i can have sombody weld another bung to the pan for me.
    Stewart Warner and a bunch of other companies make temp senders that screw into drain plug fitting holes. Just an idea if you have the room to do this.

  15. #13
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfm View Post
    IS the ECU programmer giving that option to you ? Or are you making that an 'option' solely on the reason being you can wire it that way ?

    I've never heard of oil temp being used to adjust for air/fuel ratios and spark timing. Coolant temp would have more of an effect on combustion chamber surface temps than oil . Thus why we program to coolant temps and not oil temps.

    BTW: the ECu can be programmed to change this 'full warm up' point. IE: where extra fuel/timing is neither added or subtracted - baseline engine running paramters the engine is normally run at. Typically, It could be made 100 just as easy as 120, 140, 160, or where have you.


    If you want a more real / more exact temp measured, maybe installing the coolant temp sensor into the heads (if you can) would work better. ???
    I'm using a Haltech ECM which is user programable via laptop.
    according to the user manual "the sensor can be mounted/embedded
    directly into the engine block or used to sense oil temperture"

    Thats why I'm asking about the oil sensing, wondering if anybody had tried it.
    #55

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95