Straub Tech LS rocker arm bushing kit
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 21

Thread:
Straub Tech LS rocker arm bushing kit

  1. #1
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default Straub Tech LS rocker arm bushing kit

    When I looked into a kit like this last year, the price was outrageous. Just stumbled across this kit offered by Straub Tech. at a price I can swallow.

    LS bushing trunnion kits - Straub Technologies

    From memory, the other kit I was drooling over used Bronze bushings with "self lubricating" properties. I'm curious and would like to know a little more about the "proprietary bushing material" used in the kit offered by Straub Tech. Features and benefits of the material? How does it compare to bronze?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,727

    Default

    I understand why the solid roller cam guys would need the kit but never understood why hyd guys were. I saw 1 fail since 1999 when the silverado came out, including all the yrs i worked for dealers. I ran 150 seat and 400 open on the last deal with ls7 lifters on a xr lobed cam and never had any failures and that motor saw 7200 everytime i took it to water

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  4. #3
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    All of what you said is why I didn't do the caged bearing upgrade in the first place.

    Beyond that, for it's particular purpose, bushings just make more sense to me than roller bearings.

    If I upgrade, I'll choose bushings over caged roller.

    Ultimately, I suppose it's simply just a peace of mind thing.
    Last edited by Budweiser; 04-14-2016 at 11:49 AM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    We started these last Summer and released them at PRI. The response has left me speechless. We estimated 2000 kits for the year, we around 2500 sold so far.

    We knew there was some wear issues with the aftermarket needle kits and when the OEM rockers get used with more aggressive cams the the captive needle system used by GM can fail also.

    The bushing will take a much greater load, 300X. It will exceed what the rocker will take. With the oil channel we can keep an oil "reserve" on the trunnion at all times. So for a car that sits it will always have lubrication at start up.

    Trunnions are micro polished to an RMA of 2.

    This is not new technology as the OEM have used bushing rockers over the years. Crane used bushings for their shaft rockers.
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
    I understand why the solid roller cam guys would need the kit but never understood why hyd guys were. I saw 1 fail since 1999 when the silverado came out, including all the yrs i worked for dealers. I ran 150 seat and 400 open on the last deal with ls7 lifters on a xr lobed cam and never had any failures and that motor saw 7200 everytime i took it to water
    Both will fail...its just when those pesky little needle bearing fail they like to find themselves in bad places. The bushing will just wear and become noisy.
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  8. #6
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    We started these last Summer and released them at PRI. The response has left me speechless. We estimated 2000 kits for the year, we around 2500 sold so far.

    We knew there was some wear issues with the aftermarket needle kits and when the OEM rockers get used with more aggressive cams the the captive needle system used by GM can fail also.

    The bushing will take a much greater load, 300X. It will exceed what the rocker will take. With the oil channel we can keep an oil "reserve" on the trunnion at all times. So for a car that sits it will always have lubrication at start up.

    Trunnions are micro polished to an RMA of 2.

    This is not new technology as the OEM have used bushing rockers over the years. Crane used bushings for their shaft rockers.
    That's awesome!

    I'd like to know a little more about the "proprietary bushing material". Features and benefits of the material? How does it compare to bronze? Is it a bronze alloy?
    Last edited by Budweiser; 04-15-2016 at 10:06 AM.

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
    That's awesome!

    I'm curious and would like to know a little more about the "proprietary bushing material". Features and benefits of the material? How does it compare to bronze? Is it a bronze?
    It is a bronze alloy. I've already been told a cam company has bought a kit. I know it is going to be duplicated so at this point I would like them to have to do a little homework before they introduce it at PRI. I hope you understand.
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  10. #8
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    It is a bronze alloy. I've already been told a cam company has bought a kit. I know it is going to be duplicated so at this point I would like them to have to do a little homework before they introduce it at PRI. I hope you understand.
    Totally understand. I'm not interested in the proprietary alloy it self, just the features and benefits of the alloy.

    Is it a self lubricating/sintered/oil impregnated bronze bushing? Guess that's the main thing I want to know before I put a set in my "items to buy" list.
    Last edited by Budweiser; 04-15-2016 at 10:59 AM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,676

    Default

    Yes it is self lubricating bronze alloy.
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  12. #10
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    Yes it is self lubricating bronze alloy.
    Awesome! Thanks

  13. #11
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    ...I've already been told a cam company has bought a kit. I know it is going to be duplicated so at this point I would like them to have to do a little homework before they introduce it at PRI..
    Seems Steve Morris is already there, with what appears to be the same packaging. Different trunions/oiling though.

    Straub Tech


    Steve Morris



    I almost didn't notice the difference in the trunion and was gonna ask if you supplied him with these.

  14. #12
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
    Seems Steve Morris is already there, with what appears to be the same packaging. Different trunions/oiling though.

    Straub Tech


    Steve Morris



    I almost didn't notice the difference in the trunion and was gonna ask if you supplied him with these.
    I think you have those backwards.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  15. #13
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scott foxwell View Post
    I think you have those backwards.
    Totally possible.

  16. #14
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Nope... don't think so.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95