turbo or not to turbo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
turbo or not to turbo

  1. #1
    Senior Member Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Emmett, Idaho
    Posts
    1,144

    Default turbo or not to turbo

    want to know what anyones thoughts about taking a enderlefuel ijection manifold (bbc) and removing the velocity stacks and replacing it with a pressue chamber and which is connected to twin turbos.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member steveo143's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Placentia, CA
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Sounds good to me. I would put an intercooler as part of the pressure chamber.
    steveo143 AKA DiMarco 21 II



    Now totally Green on E-85, saving the world one ear of corn at a time!
    RIP Davey B and Denis and Chris and Bob GN7

  4. #3
    Senior Member Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Emmett, Idaho
    Posts
    1,144

    Default

    dose anyone know of a company that could build a custom intercooler.

    i have enough parts to bulid a bbc 540. ive had the ijection manifold sitting on the shelf for seversl years now, and i was thinkig of going blown alchol motor. but no blower, using this maifold in atwin turbo set up was my next best thought.
    ihave freind who can build me a stainless header. but i have no idea on what kind of turbo to use. can aguy use a turbo off adiesel truck ie dodge cummins.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Two s480's from paradise racing .com should make over 2000hp, and only about $900 each, check out the hilborn and kinsler sites, they both make the stuff you'll need to do the alky blowthrough setup that your wanting to do, with the alky you wont need the intercooler , it just adds weight and expense. I started to build the same thing but decided to go blowthrough carb because I wanted mine to be mild mannered for a little cruising and the blowthrough stuff is also making over 2000hp with a single 1450 series carb now. Goodluck and hang on if you put that together , it should be a beast.

  7. #5
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    dose anyone know of a company that could build a custom intercooler.

    i have enough parts to bulid a bbc 540. ive had the ijection manifold sitting on the shelf for seversl years now, and i was thinkig of going blown alchol motor. but no blower, using this maifold in atwin turbo set up was my next best thought.
    ihave freind who can build me a stainless header. but i have no idea on what kind of turbo to use. can aguy use a turbo off adiesel truck ie dodge cummins.
    nope, wayyyyy to little like hass mentioned, a pair of 1.32a/r s480 80mm bullseye turbos and you're making 30psi on alky be well over 2400hp i would think.

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  8. #6
    Senior Member Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Emmett, Idaho
    Posts
    1,144

    Default

    i dont know if i want to make 2000 hp, i was looking at more around 1000 to 1200 hp. i wanted alcohol for cooling and i here mechanical injection dose not seem to load up on the idle side with alcohol as bad as gas does. i want it to spool up instantly, but i also thought that the turbos would help make the launch alittle more user friendly, for such high hp.


  9. #7
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    i dont know if i want to make 2000 hp, i was looking at more around 1000 to 1200 hp. i wanted alcohol for cooling and i here mechanical injection dose not seem to load up on the idle side with alcohol as bad as gas does. i want it to spool up instantly, but i also thought that the turbos would help make the launch alittle more user friendly, for such high hp.

    Put a set of nice BIG (60mmx2)waste gates on that thing and you'll be able to turn it up or down to make what ever power that you want, those turbo's making 10-15psi on a 11.5-1 or 12-1 shortblock on alky should easily get you there and it'll last a long, long time, because at that hp level, your far from pushing anything to it's limit. And you're correct about the higher comp. and alky making it spool faster.But in the future if you want more power(as we all do) , all you have to do is turn up the boost and put in a smaller pill in the injection(add more fuel in other words) and you have the potential to double your hp or anywere in between that you'd like to be.
    And dont get crazy trying to build cubic inches as with the turbo alky deal its not necessary, strength is more important in you bottom end than cid,save your money, they're making more power than you'll ever want and theyre doing it with 4 cylinders and rotarys(spelling).

  10. #8
    Senior Member Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Emmett, Idaho
    Posts
    1,144

    Default

    the only reson i was going to build a 540 is do to the fact that i have all the parts for a 540 ie ; crank (crower), rods (stock), flat top pistons (je), bowtie block,and the manifold (mech inj). the block is 3/4 filled, so i dont know how that is going to work out. all i need is heads, turbos, and a fuel pump.

  11. #9
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    the only reson i was going to build a 540 is do to the fact that i have all the parts for a 540 ie ; crank (crower), rods (stock), flat top pistons (je), bowtie block,and the manifold (mech inj). the block is 3/4 filled, so i dont know how that is going to work out. all i need is heads, turbos, and a fuel pump.
    Nothing wrong with the 540(except I wouldnt use the stock rods), with the 3/4 fill you'll have to keep an eye on the oil temp, with the larger cid you'll spool even quicker. Theres a set of dart 360s in the spam section for about $1350, but with the flat tops you'll have to watch the chamber size or you wont end up with a sutible static compression ratio to make use of the alky and may have to start it on gas.

  12. #10
    Senior Member Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Emmett, Idaho
    Posts
    1,144

    Default

    i wasnt even thinking of using the stock rods,i was looking at a set of howards custom billet rods. the crank i have has a 2.100 small block larg journal rod bearing size. nso stock is out of the question for several resons. as far as compreesion goes, how low is too low for an alky motor? ithought the lower the compression the more boost you can run.

  13. #11
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    i wasnt even thinking of using the stock rods,i was looking at a set of howards custom billet rods. the crank i have has a 2.100 small block larg journal rod bearing size. nso stock is out of the question for several resons. as far as compreesion goes, how low is too low for an alky motor? ithought the lower the compression the more boost you can run.
    you can throw 30 psi at a 12-1 short block but it'll be making so much hp that it'll start breaking other stuff , you can run 9 or 10-1 , but starting the thing gets tuff and it wont be near as responsive, so no reason not to build in a little compression, the more you squeeze alky the better it likes it.(to a point)

  14. #12
    Senior Member Reservoir Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Emmett, Idaho
    Posts
    1,144

    Default

    i was reading about that e-85 fuel what thoughts are there about it insted of alky. i know its a lot cheaper.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reservoir Dog View Post
    i was reading about that e-85 fuel what thoughts are there about it insted of alky. i know its a lot cheaper.
    I would pm unchained about the e-85, he has been running it with 20psi of boost on a 540cid deal and had good luck with it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95