Overheated engine
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread:
Overheated engine

  1. #1
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default Overheated engine

    Finally got my Rogers on the water this past weekend. Everything was looking good at first, then she started overheating. Ended up pegging the temp gauge. Limped back to the dock & shut down the engine. Everything was hot including the logs & risers, & could hear the water boiling or creating steam in the block & exhaust.
    Even though I have logs & risers, I thought I would be clever & install a pressure relief valve. During the run the valve was leaking & I am pretty sure I had it adjusted to too low of a pressure. After getting it back on the trailer & thinking about it I am pretty sure the pressure relief valve was bleeding off enough pressure that the engine wasn't getting enough water from the pump. Check the dipstick & didn't see any water in the oil.
    The question I have is: Is it possible that I have fried or compromised the engine by running it that hot? Any suggestions on what to do next to determine if I caused any damage?

    454 BBC, mild flat tappet cam, rectangular port heads, compression ratio unknown, probably around 10.5:1

    Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    If you're not hearing any weird noises, it's probably just fine. Find the cooling issue and run it.

  4. #3
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default

    No funny internal engine noises. So it's possible I dodged a bullet?......

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member Oldsquirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Default

    By cutting the flow of cooling water through the engine, you also reduced the amount of water flowing through, and cooling, the exhaust hoses. Failure of those hoses = sunk boat. I would be inclined to give them a very close inspection inside and out. If any doubt, replace them.

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    5,816

    Default

    Depending on how hot the motor actually got, you may want to change the oil or at lest check it. Smell it and see how it feels.

  8. #6
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsquirt View Post
    By cutting the flow of cooling water through the engine, you also reduced the amount of water flowing through, and cooling, the exhaust hoses. Failure of those hoses = sunk boat. I would be inclined to give them a very close inspection inside and out. If any doubt, replace them.
    Despite the obvious, what features would a compromised exhaust hose have that would be a red flag so to speak??

    G

  9. #7
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsplace View Post
    Depending on how hot the motor actually got, you may want to change the oil or at lest check it. Smell it and see how it feels.
    The oil looks normal on the dipstick, but I have not done a closer inspection yet.
    What am I looking for as far as smell & feel?

    G

  10. #8
    Senior Member Oldsquirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garytcosta View Post
    Despite the obvious, what features would a compromised exhaust hose have that would be a red flag so to speak??

    G
    Any signs of discoloration or blistering on the outside of the hose. If the outside looks OK, look in through the tips with a flashlight for any signs of blistering there. Personally, I don't think I would be taking any chances and would just replace them.

  11. #9
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldsquirt View Post
    Any signs of discoloration or blistering on the outside of the hose. If the outside looks OK, look in through the tips with a flashlight for any signs of blistering there. Personally, I don't think I would be taking any chances and would just replace them.
    OS,

    Yeah, they look fine not he outside, have not peeked through the exhaust transom exit yet. Gonna pull both this weekend. probably will just replace as you suggest & maybe keep the old, if still usable, as spares...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95