Alright, so my brother and I threw together a little 350 to go in our latest project. We had a Chevy block, and old set of Iron heads lying around and a crank so with some parts we were able to throw together a decent little SBC. We were looking for something that would not hurt itself, so we planned on keeping the RPM's to a reasonable level (this thing should not spin over 7200). We also plan on using it for skiing and I know we would forget to check valves, so we went with a Hydraulic roller. We used valves, springs, retainers, and locks we had laying around and ordered a cam based on what I figured the heads might flow. We got our can and lifters from Chris so we new they would be dead on. We scored a smoking deal on a set of JE SRP pistons and rings so that is what made us have to find a 6.125 length rod. Compression is at a pump gas friendly 10-1. Being broke I had to settle on a procomp intake (be ready to do some work) and pieced together a carb from junk I had left in the cabinet. The carb is basically a 750 Holley with an 850 base plate. We played with different boosters to try and figure out what this thing liked. We first tried annular boosters, which worked well. We tried many different air bleeds and emulsion combos, but it turned out that it liked just one E-bleed in the top position being .028". For kicks and giggles we put our dyno 750 on and blew the annular deal away by over 20HP. That hurt my pride a little, but happy to see more power. So out came the boosters and in with downlegs. We were able to get another 30HP over the annulars for this combo. I had never seen that big of a spread before. The annular boosters were QF deals that flowed almost the same as the doglegs on the flowbench. (Yes, seeing that big of a difference I wanted to check that and boy was I surprised). I won't give out the cam specs, but it turned out that the cam liked being retarded 2 degrees from how it was ground. The valve springs took a little bit of a beating and lost a little more pressure than I had hoped (although we did not see any issues in the data) I will still change them out before we really go and run this thing. All things considering it is not too back for a little pump gas deal. Just before we pulled it off the dyno, we bolted on an E85 carb. It made the same peak HP and the torque curve was much stronger. I may put an E85 carb together for this thing as it really liked it. Sorry, no videos as making pulls and finding power in short time was the major issue.
Now that things have slowed down to an almost sane pace I will try to share more of the details.
I bought a 750 HP Holley center section and when it showed up it had three different styles of boosters in it. I was blown away by the quality control. Well this gave me the change to try my had at putting in new boosters. I scored some Quick Fuel annular boosters cheap from someone who had changed directions and was successful at installing them. These are the boosters with an .600" ID vs. the .500" ID so they flowed right with a downleg with a better draw on the circuit. Along with the boosters I got a set of billet metering blocks. At that point I realized that I had to keep it "pretty" as it was starting out as a nice looking piece. I got the rest of the carb pieces from Allstate Carbs as they had great prices on everything else I needed.
Here was the best setup with the annular boosters. I tried a bunch of e bleed and air bleed combos but this is what worked best.
Holley HP 750 body annular boosters .600 id and 12 holes
Quickfuel 34-105 metering blocks
Billet base plate.
Aluminum Holley fuel bowls
30cc accelerator pump diaphragms
It has Pink cams for now
Kill bleed is what ever they come with from QF (I can't remember right now)
E bleeds 1 has a .026 and 2 and 3 are blocked
So I swapped to downleg boosters and an 850 baseplate as my dyno carb with downlegs and the 850 base kicked this things rear. Here is the setup that worked best with the downlegs and 850 base.