hard starting question
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread:
hard starting question

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    656

    Default hard starting question

    Can anyone give me any ideas why my boat does not want to start after sitting over night. It's a 454, 177 blower, holley, mechanical pump, timing locked at 34, msd ignition.
    It will crank like a mofo but nothing with out starter fluid in the morning. Starts and runs like a champ all day..next morning it needs help.
    Also, it did not like to turn off? We turned the idol down and now it does, but I'm not sure if that was just a band aid.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    custom boat lover
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Can anyone give me any ideas why my boat does not want to start after sitting over night. It's a 454, 177 blower, holley, mechanical pump, timing locked at 34, msd ignition.
    It will crank like a mofo but nothing with out starter fluid in the morning. Starts and runs like a champ all day..next morning it needs help.
    Also, it did not like to turn off? We turned the idol down and now it does, but I'm not sure if that was just a band aid.
    Just A guess, But maybe the Float level inside the fuel bowl of the carb is adjusted to low and now when the boat is on the down hill of the ramp the fuel level is to low and not letting the fuel get to any of the main holes inside the carb to let the fuel flow to the engine till you help prime it up. Just a thought. Good luck with it.

  4. #3
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,570

    Default

    What type of carb do you have. I would think it would start with fuel from the accelerator pump, even if the bowl did not have much fuel in it?

    Also,, not sure 34 degrees of timing is real good with that little blower, even though that would not have anything to do with the starting problem.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    custom boat lover
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    498

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by obnoxious001 View Post
    What type of carb do you have. I would think it would start with fuel from the accelerator pump, even if the bowl did not have much fuel in it?

    Also,, not sure 34 degrees of timing is real good with that little blower, even though that would not have anything to do with the starting problem.
    I think you are right, Most guy's like to run it at more like around 28ish degrees if I remember right.I was also thinking the accelerator would get it there also, But what if the accel pump was on the front of the carb and the fuel was at the rear of the carb B/C of the hill the boat is sitting on at the ramp, Or maybe the needle and seat is not right, [dirty or stuck or something]Here is a link of A brake down of a carb.http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...ded%20View.pdf

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,535

    Default

    Well, an easy way to check if the carb has fuel in the morning is to:

    Let it sit overnight. Pull the spark arrester, and with the ignition off, have someone pump the throttle while you look down the barrels. If it's dry, ya know you found the problem.



    Darrell.
    San Diego.

    28ft Sportcat
    With Twins

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DMOORE View Post
    Well, an easy way to check if the carb has fuel in the morning is to:

    Let it sit overnight. Pull the spark arrester, and with the ignition off, have someone pump the throttle while you look down the barrels. If it's dry, ya know you found the problem.



    Darrell.
    I'm no carb expert. How does it leak out of the bowl and where does it go? Into the engine? How do you fix it. I'm going out this weekend and will probably pull the carb off and bring it back to get a rebuild.
    Could it be the electric choke maybe? I wish I had the boat at my house so I could trouble shoot without having 10 people standing by

  9. #7
    Strap on the JATO konajet74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Antioch,Ca
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Ck UR plugs before starting & see if they're fuel soaked.....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95