Now that the boat is sorted out (for now) I decided to tear into the 22RE turbo engine in my 4x4 that I rebuilt 2 years ago (less than 7K miles) that has been burning oil since day one.
I ran it pretty hard on the way to the trail our last time out...turbo got a bit hot and cooked the shitty aftermarket manifold/turbo gaskets..in removing the turbo I noticed that the intake pipe from the airbox (which has a crank vent hose going to it) was full of oil...upstream of the turbo...so off comes the head. There were no hone marks left in the cylinders. I pulled the pan tonight and yanked the pistons out. There is a bunch of carbon (or coked oil) between the top and second ring on the pistons, indicating that the top ring wasn't doing a whole hell of a lot. These rings were from "safety gaskets" along with the rest of the kit...pistons, bearings, and everything else. The ring kit is cataloged as chrome rings.
My question. WTF would cause this to happen? My machinist says he uses 280 grit stones for cylinder finishing on chrome ring application and has no reason to beleive that any other stones were used on mine. I broke it in on 5W-30 valvoline conventional oil....which is the correct oil for this engine, and it's been changed 4 times since the build (every 1500 or so miles).
Here's the dimensions that I know were 100% dead nuts in specification...near the middle of the spec:
Piston - cylinder wall clearance
ring groove clearance
main and rod bearing clearance
My notes from the build are on a piece of paper in my FSM over at my Dad's house...I'm picking it up in the morning so I can put some numbers up here.
Plan of action was to wrap the crank with rags, re-hone in the truck and assemble with new OE toyota rings, but I'm also seeing a small ridge at the tops of the cylinders and the bearings are showing signs of oil starvation (this is one I've gotta figure out as well...oil pressure has always been good), so the motor is coming back out and more money will be thrown at it...but I'd like to figure out why it failed before I put it back together.
I'll try to get some pictures up in the morning.