Alu Donovan BBC sleeves R&R
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
Alu Donovan BBC sleeves R&R

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jim W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY, Canandaigua
    Posts
    629

    Default Alu Donovan BBC sleeves R&R

    I asked this on YB and got no replies.

    Alu BBC Donovan block, wet. High end engine shop pulled the sleeves to change bore size and they found small cracks between the sleeves.

    Do the cracks need to be welded? Since the cracks are between the wet sleeves and with the chance of them only cracking again, I can't see where they really needed to be welded.

    How hard is it to do a sleeve R&R usually? I am being told there's only 2-3 shops in the country that can do the job properly........

    Or, anyone know of a good used alu block for sale?

    Thanks, Jim
    GN7
    Do you guys ever read anything I post, or just go straight for the throat?


    Got it wet on 6/15/10-------->finally......



    E-85 I'm saving the world--->8 thumps at a time

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Save your self a huge amount of grief..just ship block to Donovan and let them fix it right...trust me on this one don't let anybody weld it......

  4. #3
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,269

    Default

    "High end" shop doesn't know what to do here?
    Put the new sleeves back in and run it.
    Changing sleeves is not rocket science.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Bostick Racing Engines six-oh-nine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    El Cajon, Ca.
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    I asked this on YB and got no replies.

    Alu BBC Donovan block, wet. High end engine shop pulled the sleeves to change bore size and they found small cracks between the sleeves.

    Do the cracks need to be welded? Since the cracks are between the wet sleeves and with the chance of them only cracking again, I can't see where they really needed to be welded.

    How hard is it to do a sleeve R&R usually? I am being told there's only 2-3 shops in the country that can do the job properly........

    Or, anyone know of a good used alu block for sale?

    Thanks, Jim
    Pulling the sleeves are easy when you have the right tools... like a way to heat the block and a proper fitting sleeve puller. If your high end shop is telling you they are one of only three in the country that can do it... their full of it.

    As for repairing, I'd say it depends where the cracks are... that would determine whether you'll have a leakage problem or not. if they are just in the upper area where the block is thin anyways... I wouldn't sweat it... if they are down where the o-rings need to seal... then yes it needs to be repaired. Pics would help to get an idea of what you have to work with. My experience has been... unless the thing is totally split in half... it can be repaired. The key is though... not just to go welding away without securing the block structure and preheating and slow cooling it... otherwise you end up with a pretzel.

    Even this was repairable....



    Almost finished...
    The Bostick®

    Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want.

  7. #5
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    yup...also this sounds a bit strange..are you going to smaller bore size?? Why yank the sleeves if u are going bigger? there solid to u hit the aluminum so why did they not just bore it? and if ur going big enought to worry about sleeve wall thickness u need a different block anyway??


    And as far as sleeve change goes...haha....we have done that in the pits a few times ,not the best but better than not making the next round. sleeve puller, big rosebud,ball hone, rubber mallet...BAM...your driver red lights anyway...lmfao..
    Last edited by 1QuickCP; 10-04-2009 at 11:10 AM.

  8. #6
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuickCP View Post
    yup...also this sounds a bit strange..are you going to smaller bore size?? Why yank the sleeves if u are going bigger? there solid to u hit the aluminum so why did they not just bore it? and if ur going big enought to worry about sleeve wall thickness u need a different block anyway??


    And as far as sleeve change goes...haha....we have done that in the pits a few times ,not the best but better than not making the next round. sleeve puller, big rosebud,ball hone, rubber mallet...BAM...your driver red lights anyway...lmfao..
    It's nice to be able to stick the sleeves in a freezer.
    I was wondering the same thing about the bore and removing the sleeves...not sure I get that one.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  9. #7
    Cantard 71hallett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    snow bank
    Posts
    5,017

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    "High end" shop doesn't know what to do here?
    Put the new sleeves back in and run it.
    Changing sleeves is not rocket science.
    Unless the brand new sleve has a pin hole. Carry on.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    It would be a balmy 85* in Steel's shop if he would move a little faster

  10. #8
    Senior Member Jim W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY, Canandaigua
    Posts
    629

    Default

    This is a block that is for sale and I was....... interested.

    Apparently years ago when the big bore stuff was first coming on, 15 years ago???? Donovan was talked into boring a few of these blocks to accept a bigger than usual sleeve and 4.6 something piston. Made the block weak and a few started cracking between the bores. Donovan themselves won't repair the block from what I am told. The shop that has the block now says approx $2,000 to fix it then I still need to buy the block from the it's owner.

    Since it's a known problem and apparently Donovan themselves won't touch it, I don't want the block.

    Thanks for the replies!!

    Jim
    Last edited by Jim W; 10-04-2009 at 12:32 PM.
    GN7
    Do you guys ever read anything I post, or just go straight for the throat?


    Got it wet on 6/15/10-------->finally......



    E-85 I'm saving the world--->8 thumps at a time

  11. #9
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Buy it dirt cheap, install the sleeves u have, fill solid with block filler,hone.....da ta......
    EBAY TIME !!!..........LOL

  12. #10
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 71hallett View Post
    Unless the brand new sleve has a pin hole. Carry on.
    LOL...some guys have all the luck.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  13. #11
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,269

    Default

    I was wondering about that...
    There's no way to repair that. Anything you do will just crack again, so I can see the dilemma. Sounds like a big paperweight unless someone wants to run it dry on the cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    This is a block that is for sale and I was....... interested.

    Apparently years ago when the big bore stuff was first coming on, 15 years ago???? Donovan was talked into boring a few of these blocks to accept a bigger than usual sleeve and 4.6 something piston. Made the block weak and a few started cracking between the bores. Donovan themselves won't repair the block from what I am told. The shop that has the block now says approx $2,000 to fix it then I still need to buy the block from the it's owner.

    Since it's a known problem and apparently Donovan themselves won't touch it, I don't want the block.

    Thanks for the replies!!

    Jim
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Jim W's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY, Canandaigua
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    I was wondering about that...
    There's no way to repair that. Anything you do will just crack again, so I can see the dilemma. Sounds like a big paperweight unless someone wants to run it dry on the cheap.

    I was told that Donovan told him, you asked for it, we did it, now it's junk so throw it on the scrap heap......

    Jim
    GN7
    Do you guys ever read anything I post, or just go straight for the throat?


    Got it wet on 6/15/10-------->finally......



    E-85 I'm saving the world--->8 thumps at a time

  15. #13
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,269

    Default

    Ouch!
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95