Ford 460 Oil pressure
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 37

Thread:
Ford 460 Oil pressure

  1. #1
    Senior Member Amango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    189

    Default Ford 460 Oil pressure

    OK so i built a Ford 460 30 over on the pistons, 11.92 compression ratio. ported aluminum heads Schneider 306-14R soiled roller cam 665 lift 316 duration lobe separation 112. Bearing clearances .002 rod and mains. Problem low oil pressure only 15 at idle and 30-35 best hot at 4000 RPM. So i realized that there was way to much oil going to the top end pulled rocker covers and pre oiled engine and i had 16 fountains squirting oil over the heads and on to the ground. Turns out you need to run oil restricting push rods with a soiled roller cam so i invested in a set of costume Smith brothers oil restricting push rods. .040 oil restricting hole in one end. Engine all back together and oil pressure hot is now 25 at idle and 50 psi at 4000 RPM on trailer. I would fill more comfortable around 65 70 psi since my intentions are to turn 6000 + RPM with this engine. ? should i go to a 15W50 oil and do you think i would get a 15 to 20 psi increase in oil pressure. Anyone one have this same problem. It has a Melling HV oil pump tech support said that pump should make 40-45 at adle and 65-75 hot oil pressure at power. Thanks
    Last edited by Amango; 10-07-2009 at 01:55 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    058
    058 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,115

    Default

    You didn't say what oil pan and p/u you are running and the restricted pushrods are a step in the right direction but IMO the .040" restrictor hole is still too much, I'd try .025" as that will still flow enough oil to lube the rockers and cool the springs. The pan issue could be not enough oil [sucking the pan dry] or too high oil level, [airiating the oil] Also could be a misadjusted or defected relief valve. With your rod/main clearances I'd try to run thinner oil or if you run the 20-50 oil preheat the oil or at least warm the engine carefully. BTW, you didn't forget to install the galley plug behind the distributor, did you? Common mistake.
    Within the heart of every stray lies the singular desire to be loved. "Good grief you're an irritating blowhard...." [Tex 6/16/11]

  4. #3
    Senior Member Amango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    189

    Default

    10Qt. Milodon. stock pick up. The oil pressure is 45-50 cold at idle then drops to 25 when hot. Maybe i should go with a .025 restricter there is still a lot of flow to the top end. Thanks

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    www.highflowdynamics.com LakesOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,160

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Amango View Post
    OK so i built a Ford 460 30 over on the pistons, 11.92 compression ratio. ported aluminum heads Schneider 306-14R soiled roller cam 665 lift 316 duration lobe separation 112. Bearing clearances .002 rod and mains. Problem low oil pressure only 15 at idle and 30-35 best hot at 4000 RPM. So i realized that there was way to much oil going to the top end pulled rocker covers and pre oiled engine and i had 16 fountains squirting oil over the heads and on to the ground. Turns out you need to run oil restricting push rods with a soiled roller cam so i invested in a set of costume Smith brothers oil restricting push rods. .040 oil restricting hole in one end. Engine all back together and oil pressure hot is now 25 at idle and 50 psi at 4000 RPM on trailer. I would fill more comfortable around 65 70 psi since my intentions are to turn 6000 + RPM with this engine. ? should i go to a 15W50 oil and do you think i would get a 15 to 20 psi increase in oil pressure. Anyone one have this same problem. It has a Melling HV oil pump tech support said that pump should make 40-45 at adle and 65-75 hot oil pressure at power. Thanks
    Does your oil filter screw straight to the cylinder block or do you have a remote filter setup?

    LO
    High Flow Dynamics
    Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family


    This post © Copyright 2007-2017 Paul Kane. No copying, linking, printing or otherwise without express written permission.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Amango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Straight to the block. I think i need to restrict flow more to the top of the engine I called Smith brothers push rods and they can modify my rods to make them a .020 restrictor. I think i will try that.

  8. #6
    Senior Member brgrcru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Montrose
    Posts
    2,676

    Default

    Seems to be a lot of complaints about these Milodon pans. I for one think they suck and will replacing mine this winter.

  9. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    283

    Default

    The pickup is worse then the pan. Try a Baldwin or wix filter too! JMO!

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pump squirt & BAIL! View Post
    The pickup is worse then the pan. Try a Baldwin or wix filter too! JMO!
    The pick up is so bad, I actually believe the pans have gotten a worse rap than they deserve due to the pickup. WhenI get chance I will post up some pics of everyway I have seen these pick fail. Not to me, I gave them up long ago. But i have seen some of the things these POSs are capable of doing in a boat motor.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The pick up is so bad, I actually believe the pans have gotten a worse rap than they deserve due to the pickup. WhenI get chance I will post up some pics of everyway I have seen these pick fail. Not to me, I gave them up long ago. But i have seen some of the things these POSs are capable of doing in a boat motor.
    Did I do ok on that one? Just asking?

  12. #10
    E-7 Sheepdog (ret) SmokinLowriderSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newton Ks.
    Posts
    6,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amango View Post
    Straight to the block. I think i need to restrict flow more to the top of the engine I called Smith brothers push rods and they can modify my rods to make them a .020 restrictor. I think i will try that.
    From everything I have seen, the big Fords are not known for oiling problems, Oldsmobiles, sure, but Fords and Chevies, not hardly.

    I'm inclined to think your problem source is going to be found much lower down, in the pan/pickup/pump area and any restricting oil to the top of the heads is just band-aiding the core problem.
    "As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
    H.L. Mencken

    OBAMA: Some people deserve this.
    The rest of us are being dragged along kicking and screaming.

  13. #11
    Senior Member Amango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I did not mention this problem began when i switched from my hydraulic flat tappet cam to a soiled roller set up. I have built lots of BBF's but with hydraulic flat tappet cams. This engine before i rebuilt it had 45 psi idle and 75 psi on power hot. The ford block has huge oil galley openings where the lifters ride and the solid lifter from Lunati that I'm running have a oil hole of .090 same as a standard push rod hole X by 16 that's a lot of none restricted oil going to the top of the engine. Set up is the same just more compression bigger cam deferent heads ETC the oil pan has worked fine never had a problem with it in the water at all. Thanks for the help i will post the results when i install the modified push rods.

  14. #12
    Senior Member Camoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    AREA 51
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Amango View Post
    10Qt. Milodon. stock pick up. The oil pressure is 45-50 cold at idle then drops to 25 when hot. Maybe i should go with a .025 restricter there is still a lot of flow to the top end. Thanks
    Stock front pickup? or rear pickup?
    There's doing it easy,or there's doing it better

  15. #13
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Camoman View Post
    Stock front pickup? or rear pickup?

    And what type oil pump ?

    Sleeper CP

    Big Inch Ford Lover

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  16. #14
    Senior Member Amango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Front sump! It has a nice trap door to keep the oil around the pick up. Does anyone have a picture of a moroso 10QT and the mildon 10QT oil pan for a ford 460. I don't now witch one i have but it has a nice built in windage try to keep the oil from walking up the back . Melling M84BHVS HV oil pump.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95