Discussion...What has Compression got to do with . .
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 72

Thread:
Discussion...What has Compression got to do with . .

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,681

    Default Discussion...What has Compression got to do with . .

    camshaft selection? Why is this asked when selecting a camshaft for a performance application?
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    114

    Default

    Comp. dictates selective valve timing. What do I win?

  4. #3
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    camshaft selection? Why is this asked when selecting a camshaft for a performance application?
    Because to little duration and too much static compression can create too much Dynamic compression depending on the application, or vise versa, too little static compression and too much duration will let all the compression out and make a pig. i'm sure thats just the tip

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    The camshafts "work week" is during 2 cycles. . .the intake cycle and the exhaust cycle. What does it do during the compression cycle?
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  7. #5
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    The camshafts "work week" is during 2 cycles. . .the intake cycle and the exhaust cycle. What does it do during the compression cycle?
    On the seventh day it rests....................now I know I'm wrong

  8. #6
    Senior Member Josh@JBP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    The camshafts "work week" is during 2 cycles. . .the intake cycle and the exhaust cycle. What does it do during the compression cycle?
    Just re-read this, Is this a trick question? If the question is pointed at a given cylinder i'd say its resting, but on and engine with multiple cylinders the camshaft as a whole should always be moving something, no?

  9. #7
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    If you did your job right at the bottom while the piston is in a dwell state and part way back up, slowly gaining momentum, it is still in an intake mode (in a given RPM range). Below that range, some of the intake charge get pushed back up the intake track. The further below the range, the more so, there by lowering the effective compression of the motor. If I win, please send my free roller to 288/298 @ .050 Drive, BBCalif.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  10. #8
    Senior Member CK7684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    550

    Default

    Is this a quiz or something?

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tri-Cities, TN
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    If you did your job right at the bottom while the piston is in a dwell state and part way back up, slowly gaining momentum, it is still in an intake mode (in a given RPM range). Below that range, some of the intake charge get pushed back up the intake track. The further below the range, the more so, there by lowering the effective compression of the motor. If I win, please send my free roller to 288/298 @ .050 Drive, BBCalif.
    Bob, Let's not get into Ram effect just yet. Let's keep this simple. I promised Mike F I would go into Ram effect and we have this as another "winter discussion".
    Chris Straub
    Straub Technologies

    3HP is an A$$ Whooping!!! JW

  12. #10
    www.highflowdynamics.com LakesOnly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    1,161

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
    Why is this asked when selecting a camshaft for a performance application?
    When it comes to camshaft selection, I spend a lot less time considering compression ratio than I do other far more important factors such as the in/exh port designs and their performance, engine displacement, intended rpm range, other engine combination factors, etc. I don't feel compression is as big a factor as many seem to think, when it comes to planning a camshaft. Power making, YES compression plays a big role, but compression's influence on cam profile is not to me as significant as others seem to take it.

    And that's all I'm saying about that...

    LO

    P.s.: Hi Chris, been slammed, hope all's well.
    High Flow Dynamics
    Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family


    This post © Copyright 2007-2020 Paul Kane. No copying, linking, printing or otherwise without express written permission.

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    sorry, didn't mean to get ahead of the game I thought you were asking for some advice and I was just trying to be helpfull



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    northern member Canuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Nechako
    Posts
    602

    Thumbs up camshafts 101

    Quote Originally Posted by CK7684 View Post
    Is this a quiz or something?
    i don't know , but it's sure beats call me and i'll sell you a cam when someone asks a cam tech question . i agree with lakes to a point and then with Josh that too much duration without increasing port flow and compression will kill the cylinder pressure and not increase power or extend the powerband .
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 If your ran a cammer your odds of finishing WERE ZERO.

  15. #13
    Lurker
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    1,417

    Default

    Some interesting replies for sure!!

  16. #14
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LakesOnly View Post
    When it comes to camshaft selection, I spend a lot less time considering compression ratio than I do other far more important factors such as the in/exh port designs and their performance, engine displacement, intended rpm range, other engine combination factors, etc. I don't feel compression is as big a factor as many seem to think, when it comes to planning a camshaft. Power making, YES compression plays a big role, but compression's influence on cam profile is not to me as significant as others seem to take it.

    And that's all I'm saying about that...

    LO

    P.s.: Hi Chris, been slammed, hope all's well.
    Thank You. You said that so well.
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95