cam question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 468

Thread:
cam question

  1. #1
    Renegade jet tunneljet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shorewood Il
    Posts
    472

    Default cam question

    I have a 505 BBC 12.5comp ported dart 310 heads. It currently has comp cam 11-734-9 in it. This is a 110lca, 278in 286ex duration, lift in748 ex714. Is this a decent cam to run in a tunnel hull jet? Also I have a dart dominator intake and I would like to run a 4150 carb, is there an adapter with the cloverleaf pattern to mount my 4150 to the dominator manifold? This is not a race deal just a lake hotrod, so I don't have to have a perfect setup, but would like it to work good. Thanks in advance.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Bruise Brothers Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pomona,Ca
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    I take it that the cam is the solid roller. If so you are going to love this cam for hot rodding around. At 4500-5200 it starts breathing fire. It idles nice and semi easy on the valve train. Ran one in a car, I know it's not a boat but a 3300 lbs camaro with a 454 and a 1050 carb ran 9.60's at 145 mph. Soooo hang on and smile
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	marks pictures 001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	193.1 KB 
ID:	62781  
    Last edited by Bruise Brothers Dad; 12-26-2009 at 04:48 PM.
    Need help finding this 1973 Sanger 18'6" bubble deck mahogany bottom and stringers I was living in Pomona when I sold her in 1979. Just wonder if she still exists

    Update Found my old Sanger 12/7/14 in Reno.

  4. #3
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    That 505 is a long way from a 454 in a car....

    You're kinda mixing apples and oranges. You'll take whatever performance you'll get from that cam and snuff it out with a 4150.
    Do you have flow numbers? What RPM do you want to run? Lot of cam for something not on the track.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Renegade jet tunneljet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shorewood Il
    Posts
    472

    Default

    I will probably throw a domi on it once I sell the heads and turbos I have for sale. Still got a lot of time as I am in Illinois. I don't have flow numbers but I was hoping to spin the motor less than 6500. I have an aggressor C impeller in it now. I don't mind changing the cam or the impeller but would like to avoid changing both if I could.

  7. #5
    Senior Member Bruise Brothers Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pomona,Ca
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    That 505 is a long way from a 454 in a car....

    You're kinda mixing apples and oranges. You'll take whatever performance you'll get from that cam and snuff it out with a 4150.
    Do you have flow numbers? What RPM do you want to run? Lot of cam for something not on the track.
    Yea I know it's apples and oranges, but that cam will work with both. In the next note he says he only wants to run 6500. that cam is good to about 7400 + or - 200 rpm. I was using stock iron heads (LS6) no port work just massaged the bowls. I would run the 4500 carb with a single plain manifold. Back in the day Ross Wilder and Tom Papp explained to me that jet pumps work in the 7000 range ( top end). I'm not that knowledgeable about jets, but I have known people to run higher RPM's. He says he is only going to hodrod but we all know that it's racing when somebody next to you is doing the samething The motor that was in the Camaro also has been in a boat. Sometimes it's easier to just swap motors than to changes alot of thing when we are on a budget. I don't know it all, but have been doing it a long time but can alway learn something new. Got any secrets for me???
    Need help finding this 1973 Sanger 18'6" bubble deck mahogany bottom and stringers I was living in Pomona when I sold her in 1979. Just wonder if she still exists

    Update Found my old Sanger 12/7/14 in Reno.

  8. #6
    Senior Member Bruise Brothers Dad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Pomona,Ca
    Posts
    1,591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tunneljet View Post
    I will probably throw a domi on it once I sell the heads and turbos I have for sale. Still got a lot of time as I am in Illinois. I don't have flow numbers but I was hoping to spin the motor less than 6500. I have an aggressor C impeller in it now. I don't mind changing the cam or the impeller but would like to avoid changing both if I could.
    Where is Shorewood. I have a half mile of river front property on the Kaskaskia river south of Vandalia
    Need help finding this 1973 Sanger 18'6" bubble deck mahogany bottom and stringers I was living in Pomona when I sold her in 1979. Just wonder if she still exists

    Update Found my old Sanger 12/7/14 in Reno.

  9. #7
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tunneljet View Post
    I will probably throw a domi on it once I sell the heads and turbos I have for sale. Still got a lot of time as I am in Illinois. I don't have flow numbers but I was hoping to spin the motor less than 6500. I have an aggressor C impeller in it now. I don't mind changing the cam or the impeller but would like to avoid changing both if I could.
    Without flow numbers you're throwing darts at a dart board blindfolded, especially if the heads were ported. A C impeller is very small for a lake/river hotrod. The C will work for where that cam is going to want to make power and my guess is you're going to be well into the high 6000rpm range. Again, you've got some mixed and matched parts there for what you say you want to do with the boat. Under 6500 would be more reasonable with a B impeller which is in the high 700hp range and probably going to put you over 100mph, depending on your setup. Personally, I'd get the flow numbers on your heads, cam the engine for no more than 6500, but also to make a very wide power band (which the cam you have now will not have), and run no smaller than a B impeller. With those heads and your engine displacement and compression, you should be able to make close to 800 with a single Dom. at that rpm with a much more reasonabel cam. It'll be easier on valve train, have more reliability and drivability and be more reliable. It'll also be plenty fast.
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 12-26-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  10. #8
    Renegade jet tunneljet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shorewood Il
    Posts
    472

    Default

    Thanks for the reply STEEL and Bruise. Shorewood is about 30mi southwest of Chicago. I have been down to Lake Shelbyville which is part of the Kaskaskia and I have inlaws in Fairfield and Edwardsville. I am on a limited budget, is there a cam that you have in mind that would work well for me. This setup was in a car but the engine builder ran jetboats at Blarney Island for about 20 years and felt that this cam would work pretty good in a Jetboat.

  11. #9
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Any cam will "work" in both applications, but there's no way one cam will work equally well. Jet boats do require a different approach to making power, and for most jets, 7000rpm is a MAX rpm, not a preferred or even desired RPM. That's pretty much hard core race territory. It's better to build more usable power at a lower rpm and keep things below 6500, or even down to 6000 for most applications. The more power you can make at a lower rpm, the better, but that's really true in all of racing. You don't have the luxury of gears or prop changes with a jet, so your rpm is basically dictated and you need to learn to build as much power in a limited rpm range as you can. Tis is why displacement usually wins over dynamic engine design issues that might otherwise dictate a particular engine configuration.
    Now if I told you my secrets, they wouldn't be secrets, would they.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruise Brothers Dad View Post
    Yea I know it's apples and oranges, but that cam will work with both. In the next note he says he only wants to run 6500. that cam is good to about 7400 + or - 200 rpm. I was using stock iron heads (LS6) no port work just massaged the bowls. I would run the 4500 carb with a single plain manifold. Back in the day Ross Wilder and Tom Papp explained to me that jet pumps work in the 7000 range ( top end). I'm not that knowledgeable about jets, but I have known people to run higher RPM's. He says he is only going to hodrod but we all know that it's racing when somebody next to you is doing the samething The motor that was in the Camaro also has been in a boat. Sometimes it's easier to just swap motors than to changes alot of thing when we are on a budget. I don't know it all, but have been doing it a long time but can alway learn something new. Got any secrets for me???
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  12. #10
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    That 505 is a long way from a 454 in a car....

    You're kinda mixing apples and oranges. You'll take whatever performance you'll get from that cam and snuff it out with a 4150.
    Do you have flow numbers? What RPM do you want to run? Lot of cam for something not on the track.
    x2 on that why not just be patient wait it out bit longer and just buy a progressive linkage 1050? if you know anything about airbleeds, there's no reason you can't get the same mpg outta 1 of those compared to a 4150 stretched all out.

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  13. #11
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tunneljet View Post
    Thanks for the reply STEEL and Bruise. Shorewood is about 30mi southwest of Chicago. I have been down to Lake Shelbyville which is part of the Kaskaskia and I have inlaws in Fairfield and Edwardsville. I am on a limited budget, is there a cam that you have in mind that would work well for me. This setup was in a car but the engine builder ran jetboats at Blarney Island for about 20 years and felt that this cam would work pretty good in a Jetboat.
    Like I said, that cam (and I love this comment) "would work pretty good", if you want to turn 7000rpm with your C impeller and have a boat with a racing personality.
    I can't begin to guess at a cam without flow numbers. Can't even use the factory advertized numbers since the heads were ported. For the rpm range you want to run in, something more in the 260-265 range, but lift will be directly related to flow. If they flow really good, could be below .700, but not going to guess.
    Your desired rpm operating range will dictate your impeller choice. Your impeller choice will dictate your power requirements, and your power requirements will dictate your engine build/cam choice. It's that simple.
    You have 500+ cubic inches...enough displacement to make good low rpm power. You shold take advantage of that especially in a jet.
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 12-26-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  14. #12
    Renegade jet tunneljet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shorewood Il
    Posts
    472

    Default

    I don't really want a racing personality in my engine. I figured I would probably end up changing cams, as I agree the slower I can spin the motor and make good power the better. I am lookin for something that will be more friendly than all out power. The heads were described to me to be fully worked. I can try the builder next week for some numbers if he has them.

  15. #13
    The Hat
    Guest

    Default

    Sounds like a good place to Start, 110 lobe centers in a BBC is good, the lift and Duration is close, what Spring pressures at installed height? ...VERY important to keep GOOD springs and GOOD seat pressures, that same combo in a 3800lb Chevelle ran a 9.70 no Nitrous in a friends 502 with a 4:56 gear ......thats not going to be a low RPM cam, but that combo with C12 VP or C14 VP and a close pump will set you back in the seat pretty hard., most Jets need RPM. give it a try.

  16. #14
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Hat View Post
    Sounds like a good place to Start, 110 lobe centers in a BBC is good, the lift and Duration is close, what Spring pressures at installed height? ...VERY important to keep GOOD springs and GOOD seat pressures, that same combo in a 3800lb Chevelle ran a 9.70 no Nitrous in a friends 502 with a 4:56 gear ......thats not going to be a low RPM cam, but that combo with C12 VP or C14 VP and a close pump will set you back in the seat pretty hard., most Jets need RPM. give it a try.
    Most jets need rpm? "It worked ion a Chevelle (or Camaro) so it'll work in a boat"...
    Really?
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95