Holley questions
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 27

Thread:
Holley questions

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Holley questions

    OK guys, who is really up on the Holleys?

    Q #1. Accelerator nozzle check ball/pin.
    On a 4165 series carb, (spread bore DP) what type of nozzle check is used. The little balls, or the pointed pins? I'm rebuilding one, and it had neither. The primary pump reservoir has the orange/pinkish umbrella type check valve below the bowl to prevent pushing fuel back into the bowl when the pump works. But nothing under the nozzle screws to keep the fuel "charge" up in the circuit at the nozzle....I had some check balls from kits over the years, but the .058/.062, (1/16th inch) ball just falls through. I would think the pointed pin was used on these models, but neither pri, or sec had anything under the screws. Am I to assume these parts were left out by the previous owner? Also, the secondary bowl has the old style ball check in the reservoir.....

    Q#2. I have the same missing part on two 660 center squirters. There was nothing under the center nozzle of either carb.....(EDIT, OK I looked at the other 660, and it DOES have a pointed pin thingy under the nozzle, so disregard the 660 question...)

    I know without those check balls/pins, the accelerator pump circuit drains back and causes either a "pop" or a stumble when you nail it.....So, which type was used in the 4165 series, and the list 4224 C/squirt carbs......Ray

    PS: The "blow up" of the 4165 supplied with the kit shows nothing under the nozzle screws???
    Last edited by Moneypit; 01-13-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    I've always replaced the ball with the pointed pin. I like them because they're just a little heavier. I know 660's came with the pointed pin. Not 100% sure on the 4165.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  4. #3
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Well, I just looked down the hole of the 4165 I have (6910), and there's no way a pointed pin will work. The hole seems to go all the way to the bottom of the passage...not even sure I see a seat for a ball check. Look down the hole for a 4150 and I can see a definite seat for the pointed pin. I'd say the 4165 either uses a ball, or nothing.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Umbrella?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Well, I just looked down the hole of the 4165 I have (6910), and there's no way a pointed pin will work. The hole seems to go all the way to the bottom of the passage...not even sure I see a seat for a ball check. Look down the hole for a 4150 and I can see a definite seat for the pointed pin. I'd say the 4165 either uses a ball, or nothing.
    Scott, is it possible the 4165 uses just the umbrella deal check valve? I agree, the 4165 hole goes all the way down and the 1/16th ball falls right through and out the hole in the main body.....The 660s use the pointed thingy, see my edit above.....Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  7. #5
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Scott, is it possible the 4165 uses just the umbrella deal check valve? I agree, the 4165 hole goes all the way down and the 1/16th ball falls right through and out the hole in the main body.....The 660s use the pointed thingy, see my edit above.....Ray
    I just pulled the acc pump off this one, and it has the captured steel check ball in the float bowl, not the umbrella style. If the flot bowl doesn't have the check valve then you must use the umbrella style.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Sealed?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    I just pulled the acc pump off this one, and it has the captured steel check ball in the float bowl, not the umbrella style. If the flot bowl doesn't have the check valve then you must use the umbrella style.
    So, do you think the umbrella deal holds the "charge" at the top of the circuit? And yeah, this one's primary bowl has the umbrella deal, and the secondary has the captured ball seal??? I guess I'll go to the Holley site and see if the pointed pin deal is available. From what I've seen here, a ball check won't work in the 4165 nozzle circuit and doesn't show one on the "blow up"???.......Why the captured ball in one bowl, and the umbrella deal in the other?.....Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  9. #7
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    OK guys, who is really up on the Holleys?

    Q #1. Accelerator nozzle check ball/pin.
    On a 4165 series carb, (spread bore DP) what type of nozzle check is used. The little balls, or the pointed pins? I'm rebuilding one, and it had neither. The primary pump reservoir has the orange/pinkish umbrella type check valve below the bowl to prevent pushing fuel back into the bowl when the pump works. But nothing under the nozzle screws to keep the fuel "charge" up in the circuit at the nozzle....I had some check balls from kits over the years, but the .058/.062, (1/16th inch) ball just falls through. I would think the pointed pin was used on these models, but neither pri, or sec had anything under the screws. Am I to assume these parts were left out by the previous owner? Also, the secondary bowl has the old style ball check in the reservoir.....

    Q#2. I have the same missing part on two 660 center squirters. There was nothing under the center nozzle of either carb.....(EDIT, OK I looked at the other 660, and it DOES have a pointed pin thingy under the nozzle, so disregard the 660 question...)

    I know without those check balls/pins, the accelerator pump circuit drains back and causes either a "pop" or a stumble when you nail it.....So, which type was used in the 4165 series, and the list 4224 C/squirt carbs......Ray

    PS: The "blow up" of the 4165 supplied with the kit shows nothing under the nozzle screws???
    Pretty sure there is not supposed to be any check ball up at the squirters. The fuel can't drain back if it cant push back into the bowl from the pump body.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  10. #8
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    So, do you think the umbrella deal holds the "charge" at the top of the circuit? And yeah, this one's primary bowl has the umbrella deal, and the secondary has the captured ball seal??? I guess I'll go to the Holley site and see if the pointed pin deal is available. From what I've seen here, a ball check won't work in the 4165 nozzle circuit and doesn't show one on the "blow up"???.......Why the captured ball in one bowl, and the umbrella deal in the other?.....Ray
    Interesting...this one is the same...captured ball on the pri. side, umbrella on the sec. Only difference I can see is the sec. has the 5cc pump, the pri has the 3cc.
    I don't think running the pointed pin will work without a seat. I have a feeling this carb didn't have anything under the nozzles. It looks like a fairly old carb...maybe something they didn't do untill later?
    If you think about it, where can the fuel go in the squirter passage? I guess it would assume the same level as the fuel in the bowl? That would leave a bit of an air space in the passage just below the squirter.
    What about a bigger check ball?
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  11. #9
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    Pretty sure there is not supposed to be any check ball up at the squirters. The fuel can't drain back if it cant push back into the bowl from the pump body.
    The umbrella type check in the acc pump might help prevent the fuel from draining back, but the captured check ball won't.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  12. #10
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Ray, I just went through my Holley stuff and found a .157 check ball...drops right in the hole like it belongs there.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  13. #11
    Senior Member Ronboats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Norcal-Santa Rosa
    Posts
    612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    The umbrella type check in the acc pump might help prevent the fuel from draining back, but the captured check ball won't.
    I have never seen a check ball up at the squirters on a holley. What volume of fuel would be above it? not much.It would take a long time to drain out of that passage, if it would at all. while running it wouldn't go anywhere. in fact, maybe the "suction" into the engine would tend to pull it?(theoretically)
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,169

    Default OK, I'm getting somewhere...

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    The umbrella type check in the acc pump might help prevent the fuel from draining back, but the captured check ball won't.
    Agreed......Why one umbrella and one captured ball?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Ray, I just went through my Holley stuff and found a .157 check ball...drops right in the hole like it belongs there.
    OK, that would be a 5/32 ball, (.156). Is there a seat down there for it? I'll look around for a 5/32 BB.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    I have never seen a check ball up at the squirters on a holley. What volume of fuel would be above it? not much.It would take a long time to drain out of that passage, if it would at all. while running it wouldn't go anywhere. in fact, maybe the "suction" into the engine would tend to pull it?(theoretically)
    I've never seen one work without one. It is critical to have the "charge" AT the nozzle. I think the pointed pin works better, but Holleys have had a ball there since the mid 50s..(55 Ford)..........Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  15. #13
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronboats View Post
    I have never seen a check ball up at the squirters on a holley. What volume of fuel would be above it? not much.It would take a long time to drain out of that passage, if it would at all. while running it wouldn't go anywhere. in fact, maybe the "suction" into the engine would tend to pull it?(theoretically)
    Do you men you haven't seen a round check ball, or not even the pointed pin? With nothing to restrict the fow, it would only take seconds for the fuel to drain from the passage under the squirter enough to equal the float level. The fuel level throughout the carb will stay at the same level as in the fuel in the float bowl. That's just the properties of a liquid. The issue of suction into the engine (called acc. pump pull over) can be a problem, but that's why they designed the anti-pull over squirter nozzles (the big rectangular looking ones) usually found on a 4165.
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 01-13-2010 at 09:20 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

  16. #14
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    Agreed......Why one umbrella and one captured ball?



    OK, that would be a 5/32 ball, (.156). Is there a seat down there for it? I'll look around for a 5/32 BB.....



    I've never seen one work without one. It is critical to have the "charge" AT the nozzle. I think the pointed pin works better, but Holleys have had a ball there since the mid 50s..(55 Ford)..........Ray
    No, there doesn't seem to be a seat, but I'm thinking it might seat against the horizontal passage through the TB into the metering block. These carbs use the transfer tubes, and it might seat against that...gravity sure wouldn't have any effect there, though, would it. I can't see it not having something.

    And your guess is as good as mine on the two different pump checks...
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95