Blower build Info needed
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 59

Thread:
Blower build Info needed

  1. #1
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default Blower build Info needed

    Ok looks like i am going to go the blown route. Now the questions really start for me.
    Here is what i am thinking of doing, just do not know the path to take.

    496 BBC with a 8-71

    I have a gen 4 HP block to start with, I also have a set of Dart Pro 325 heads to go with it. What do i do from here.

    Need info to give the Machine shop. This build will take some time for money reasons but i want to lay out my path and start gathering parts for my goal.

    This is going in a shovel nose ski hydro. Not looking to be the fastest boat on the river but a cool hot rod.
    Legalize the Constitution!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    I'm famous ! Lucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ukiah,Ca
    Posts
    7,043

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    Ok looks like i am going to go the blown route. Now the questions really start for me.
    Here is what i am thinking of doing, just do not know the path to take.

    496 BBC with a 8-71

    I have a gen 4 HP block to start with, I also have a set of Dart Pro 325 heads to go with it. What do i do from here.

    Need info to give the Machine shop. This build will take some time for money reasons but i want to lay out my path and start gathering parts for my goal.

    This is going in a shovel nose ski hydro. Not looking to be the fastest boat on the river but a cool hot rod.
    spend more money
    " my carbon footprint is gonna kick your green ass"


    Quote Originally Posted by 396_Ways_To_Spit View Post
    WOWO!!!!! THat has to be the most beautiful crank that Ive ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    He has been allowing me to park my equipment in his backyard for a few years now...
    [/SIGPIC]

  4. #3
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    spend more money
    only live once
    Legalize the Constitution!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Gone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    so you have what pieces now?
    You said 4 bolt block.
    Crank?
    etc?

  7. #5
    Hat
    Hat is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    Ok looks like i am going to go the blown route. Now the questions really start for me.
    Here is what i am thinking of doing, just do not know the path to take.

    496 BBC with a 8-71

    I have a gen 4 HP block to start with, I also have a set of Dart Pro 325 heads to go with it. What do i do from here.

    Need info to give the Machine shop. This build will take some time for money reasons but i want to lay out my path and start gathering parts for my goal.

    This is going in a shovel nose ski hydro. Not looking to be the fastest boat on the river but a cool hot rod.

    what fuel do you plan on running ?.....how much power you looking at ?

  8. #6
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hat View Post
    what fuel do you plan on running ?.....how much power you looking at ?
    I am on the fence will the fuel deal. Really thinking hard about using alky but not 100% on that. I am not super keen on the idea of taking fuel with me. I like being able to pull up and fill up with 93

    I am looking to get somewhere in the 800-900 range
    Legalize the Constitution!

  9. #7
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat48 View Post
    so you have what pieces now?
    You said 4 bolt block.
    Crank?
    etc?
    I have a bare block and the heads that is it.. Long long road ahead
    Legalize the Constitution!

  10. #8
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    l if ur really thinking alcohol and HP you better really need to get a better block, stock gen 4 4 bolt will have problems, maincaps walking, cracking in lifter valley,cracks in rear,ect ect etc...oh and with out adding the extra headbolts sealing becomes a issue as well.

    I guess the question would be what kind of HP are you lookin at?? 800?, 1000? or 2000?

  11. #9
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuickCP View Post
    l if ur really thinking alcohol and HP you better really need to get a better block, stock gen 4 4 bolt will have problems, maincaps walking, cracking in lifter valley,cracks in rear,ect ect etc...oh and with out adding the extra headbolts sealing becomes a issue as well.

    I guess the question would be what kind of HP are you lookin at?? 800?, 1000? or 2000?
    800-900. This will not be a race boat just want a peppy lake boak
    That looks good and runs a little too.
    Legalize the Constitution!

  12. #10
    Can't cure stupid 1Homeblown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Torrance, Ca.
    Posts
    762

    Default Rods!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    I have a bare block and the heads that is it.. Long long road ahead

    I have a set of rods for you if you haven't gotten pistons yet!! American made!! Here's the link:
    http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=37461
    Last edited by 1Homeblown; 01-15-2010 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Post a link

  13. #11
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    home
    thanks i will keep them in mind
    Legalize the Constitution!

  14. #12
    Hat
    Hat is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    I am on the fence will the fuel deal. Really thinking hard about using alky but not 100% on that. I am not super keen on the idea of taking fuel with me. I like being able to pull up and fill up with 93

    I am looking to get somewhere in the 800-900 range
    I dont see any compression over 8.5 if you have a decent blower and less than 32 in the Mag, I dont like cheap fuel deals, alky is the best, you may not get much mileage but you are WAY less likely to hurt a bunch of expensive parts, the choice is yours, go with Alky, and Up the compression if not, you have to kill the compression or the engine will murder itsealf, and on 93, it'll never come close to what it runs with alky

  15. #13
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hat View Post
    I dont see any compression over 8.5 if you have a decent blower and less than 32 in the Mag, I dont like cheap fuel deals, alky is the best, you may not get much mileage but you are WAY less likely to hurt a bunch of expensive parts, the choice is yours, go with Alky, and Up the compression if not, you have to kill the compression or the engine will murder itsealf, and on 93, it'll never come close to what it runs with alky
    Seems like this is the way to go. Do i need to do anything extra to the block? What compression should i run on Alky with an 8-71?
    Legalize the Constitution!

  16. #14
    Hat
    Hat is offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    Seems like this is the way to go. Do i need to do anything extra to the block? What compression should i run on Alky with an 8-71?


    10:1 is safe, you can run some decent boost, like 20-30% over and not worry at all, just depends


    I would look into putting some filler in the block if it's a big bore deal to thin a cylinder wall isnt good you might have it sonic tested to see if the walls are good, no core shift....
    Last edited by Hat; 01-15-2010 at 04:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95