Best head
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 24

Thread:
Best head

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default Best head

    Cylinder head of course

    Doing some upgrades and am looking to purchase some new heads but I'm on a budget. Have found 3 sets for a similar price on the boards here but I'm really not all that savvy in this department so I was wondering if some of the pros here would chime in and let me know pros and cons or comparisons between them. This is for a 496 bbc hydraulic roller with the goal to pull high 5000s rpm wise if possible on pump gas. Bravo drive.

    Patriot rectangular ports-new according to seller they were purchased for a motor over a year ago but he never completed the build. Still in box and he bought them fully assembled.

    Edelbrock rectangular ports-used(info from seller)Stainless valves one head repaired by JD Machine in Havasu. Waiting to hear what the repair was for exactly. Plus for these being they are local enough for me to see them in person.

    GM alum rect ports-used(info from seller) Built by Gary Rowan casting #14011077 Manley severe duty valves, double springs set up for engle n-85 flat tappet solid 620 lift cam currently pulling 6800

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    I'd go with what ever the guys over at Speedtalk say Unless the 077s are ported, I can't believe the guy couldn't get more on e-bay than you would be willing to spend. Unmolested,those things are getting some pretty big money. I'd go with the EDDy's. Wouldn't trust a set of assembled Patriots any further than.......



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  4. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    I'd go with what ever the guys over at Speedtalk say Unless the 077s are ported, I can't believe the guy couldn't get more on e-bay than you would be willing to spend. Unmolested,those things are getting some pretty big money. I'd go with the EDDy's. Wouldn't trust a set of assembled Patriots any further than.......
    Ok I'll bite. What do the guys at speedtalk say? Kinda lost me on that one sorry.... So you vote for Edelbrock unless the 077s are ported? I will shoot him a pm and ask if they are.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Hrmm still lost. Thought that was going to be exactly what I needed to know but he is comparing Edelbrock oval ports where I'm looking at rectangular and the guy says that the 077s are dated and need a lot of port work because they are W heads but then someone corrects him and says he is mistaken that they are actually C heads. Now I'm not sure what W or C mean but the guy corrects him and nobody says whether or not the C heads are better or worse lol.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    435

    Default

    edelbrock is a good head but i wouldn't buy someone else (repair) and then why,they are selling them ?

    skip the gm heads 077 is a c-port with a vane in the bottom of the exh port,
    not that they cant be made to run well, they had there problems breaking rocker stud bosses, and the dont repair well.

    dont know much first hand about the patriot head except for what has been written here,, you might try a search on both sights or google them.

  9. #7
    Senior Member Widetrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southwest corner AR
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    I would keep looking something will come up that will beat all three of these heads! And I would not ever buy a set of factory loaded heads (springs,retainers,valves,keepers) don't trust them! JMO WT


    SOMEONE SAID YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU! SO,IM BURNING IT UP ONE GALLON AT A TIME!
    WT

    WFL Crew!!!

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    The 077 was a good head in 69 on the L88 and the ZL1, but we have moved on. And like Havasubyou said, not the greastest casting. 1969 technology and methods! The pariot isn't a bad head, just question there choice of valves, springs etc. and their machine work.
    May want to read this before throwing down cash on a set of Patriot assembled heads.
    http://www.performanceboats.com//sho...s+valves+seats



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default

    This whole thing is confusing and frustrating Sure sucks having to do something on a budget. I've had aluminum repairs done before on heads with varying degrees of success. Might go take a look at the edelbrocks depending on what the repair was for. If it pulled a stud up I'd have no way of checking how straight the stud will be other then just eyeballing it though.

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tunnelluv View Post
    This whole thing is confusing and frustrating Sure sucks having to do something on a budget. I've had aluminum repairs done before on heads with varying degrees of success. Might go take a look at the edelbrocks depending on what the repair was for. If it pulled a stud up I'd have no way of checking how straight the stud will be other then just eyeballing it though.
    If it makes you feel any better, I have had Mike at JD fix three of my heads over the years, Each was better than the next, and I defy you to find where he fixed the last one and it was really bad. I questioned whether it was even fixable. If you want the straight story about the Eddys, ask Mike.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    Senior Member sturat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston TX
    Posts
    797

    Default

    not sure what your budget is, but stay the course and keep looking. I just scored a set of dart 1 325cc for bbc and paid 800 for the pair. they need a little love but only a vale job and new springs for my cam. I would do that with any set of heads regardless. I am just saying that deals are out there if you look. just my .02
    Legalize the Constitution!

  14. #12
    21' Liberator Jet NORDIC454's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    BIG D
    Posts
    523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sturat View Post
    not sure what your budget is, but stay the course and keep looking. I just scored a set of dart 1 325cc for bbc and paid 800 for the pair. they need a little love but only a vale job and new springs for my cam. I would do that with any set of heads regardless. I am just saying that deals are out there if you look. just my .02
    Good find

  15. #13
    Some guy obnoxious001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tunnelluv View Post
    Hrmm still lost. Thought that was going to be exactly what I needed to know but he is comparing Edelbrock oval ports where I'm looking at rectangular and the guy says that the 077s are dated and need a lot of port work because they are W heads but then someone corrects him and says he is mistaken that they are actually C heads. Now I'm not sure what W or C mean but the guy corrects him and nobody says whether or not the C heads are better or worse lol.
    I think the term "C" is more commonly used for those 077 heads, and it refers to the shape of the exhaust port. It would be difficult to term that shape a "W".

    Many times they would be removed and made into a "D" shaped port by someone doing port work on them.

    Keep in mind with a set of heads that old that you want to inspect them (or have them inspected by someone) carefully for repairs,, sunken seats, etc.

  16. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I have had Mike at JD fix three of my heads over the years, Each was better than the next, and I defy you to find where he fixed the last one and it was really bad. I questioned whether it was even fixable. If you want the straight story about the Eddys, ask Mike.
    That's promising. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95