12lbs of boost = 1400HP?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 30

Thread:
12lbs of boost = 1400HP?

  1. #1
    Lord of the Drinks Havasu Hangin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    273.36 Miles from Havasu
    Posts
    2,352

    Thumbs up 12lbs of boost = 1400HP?

    "Warming the globe...16 cylinders at a time."

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Perhaps I'm gay...

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    I'm famous ! Lucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ukiah,Ca
    Posts
    7,043

    Default

    NIIIIIICEEEEEE ........ More boost , more roost
    " my carbon footprint is gonna kick your green ass"


    Quote Originally Posted by 396_Ways_To_Spit View Post
    WOWO!!!!! THat has to be the most beautiful crank that Ive ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    He has been allowing me to park my equipment in his backyard for a few years now...
    [/SIGPIC]

  4. #3
    Senior Member TwinTurbo540's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    With the right set up a 582 could make 1400 @ 12psi..... American turbine said my 496 at 16psi was making 1300+ to spin my impeller where I was in a jet..

    Travis
    I like my women like I like my boats......Fast and ready to get wet at all times!!

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    would hope it would, but dynos are nothing but a tuning tool, the proof of the power is in the running. Figure most every 540-575 I ever built with decent cam ect made around 1000-1050 @ 10 lbs..raw,uncorrected hp...corrected it can be anything you want....

  7. #5
    Senior Member TwinTurbo540's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuickCP View Post
    would hope it would, but dynos are nothing but a tuning tool, the proof of the power is in the running. Figure most every 540-575 I ever built with decent cam ect made around 1000-1050 @ 10 lbs..raw,uncorrected hp...corrected it can be anything you want....
    Couldnt have said it better Bill!!!

    Travis
    I like my women like I like my boats......Fast and ready to get wet at all times!!

  8. #6
    Lord of the Drinks Havasu Hangin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    273.36 Miles from Havasu
    Posts
    2,352

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuickCP View Post
    would hope it would, but dynos are nothing but a tuning tool, the proof of the power is in the running. Figure most every 540-575 I ever built with decent cam ect made around 1000-1050 @ 10 lbs..raw,uncorrected hp...corrected it can be anything you want....
    I believe Pyburn's Chief engines pushed his Skater to 185MPH on pump gas. I think it's great what these guys are doing with big HP/lower boost motors- hats off to them.

    You guys crack me up....your junk is great, but anyone elses is suspect.

    What grade are you guys in anyway?
    "Warming the globe...16 cylinders at a time."

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Perhaps I'm gay...

  9. #7
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Yup everyones shit is suspect, you tend to get that way from owning a race engine shop for 25 years.....lol.....

    Oh, I have a MS in mech eng btw, im not in school any longer, and if you yourself did not suspect the dyno number, WTF are you doing posting a question mark after it in the thread title???? So going on the information you posted in the title of your thread, you are in fact asking if it is possible for a motor at 12 psi to make 1400 hp, ( 12psi = 1400 hp ?) and both of us replied that yes it is possible to do just that. And that I have built a few 580ish motors that pull 1000 uncorrected and thats around 1300-1400 corrected. So now that we both have said it can be done, you decide to post negative...sorry I just can't understand your reasoning.
    Last edited by 1QuickCP; 08-13-2010 at 07:23 AM.

  10. #8
    Senior Member TwinTurbo540's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,164

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Hangin' View Post
    I believe Pyburn's Chief engines pushed his Skater to 185MPH on pump gas. I think it's great what these guys are doing with big HP/lower boost motors- hats off to them.

    You guys crack me up....your junk is great, but anyone elses is suspect.

    What grade are you guys in anyway?
    You posted the thread with a question mark at the end of it as if you didnt believe the numbers yourself.... All I did was reply that it could make that power at that boost level if done right....

    Travis
    I like my women like I like my boats......Fast and ready to get wet at all times!!

  11. #9
    Lord of the Drinks Havasu Hangin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    273.36 Miles from Havasu
    Posts
    2,352

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuickCP View Post
    sorry I just can't understand your reasoning.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuickCP View Post
    ...corrected it can be anything you want....
    Quote Originally Posted by TwinTurbo540 View Post
    Couldnt have said it better Bill!!!

    Travis
    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuickCP View Post
    ...both of us replied that yes it is possible to do just that. And that I have built a few 580ish motors that pull 1000 uncorrected
    Well, I apologize if I offended you. The way I took (paraphrase) the above quotes, "Yes, it can be done- even I can do it with a happy dyno (cheat)."

    The reason for my question mark is to see if any of you guys have seen 93 octane blower motors making that kind of power. Not turbo...and they actually have to have some manners to be shiftable.

    Last edited by Havasu Hangin; 08-13-2010 at 07:46 AM.
    "Warming the globe...16 cylinders at a time."

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Perhaps I'm gay...

  12. #10
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Its all good.....

  13. #11
    Highaboosta Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ada, Michigan
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1QuickCP View Post
    So going on the information you posted in the title of your thread, you are in fact asking if it is possible for a motor at 12 psi to make 1400 hp, ( 12psi = 1400 hp ?) and both of us replied that yes it is possible to do just that. And that I have built a few 580ish motors that pull 1000 uncorrected and thats around 1300-1400 corrected. So now that we both have said it can be done, you decide to post negative...sorry I just can't understand your reasoning.[/COLOR]
    I can see the 12 # boost making 1400 hp if the static compression is high enough. That's not going to happen with 8:1 compression though.

    I reviewed the dyno sheet on my engine and the corrected torque was within 25 ft lbs of the observed peak at 4800 rpm. The hp was within about the same 25 - 30 hp at the peak hp 5800 rpm.

    If the corrected was 300 - 400 hp off from the observed the dyno operator should be fired.
    Last edited by Unchained; 08-13-2010 at 05:28 PM.

    Twin Turbo 1800 HP V-Drive lake boat

    http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MAH05771.mp4

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    No one cares about your buddies old antiquated garden hose technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    I think I could run more boost but it's a real hand full right now

  14. #12
    Senior Member Hass828's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    okie, lake Texoma
    Posts
    6,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    I can see the 12 # boost making 1400 hp if the static compression is high enough. That's not going to happen with 8:1 compression though.

    I reviewed the dyno sheet on my engine and the corrected torque was within 25 ft lbs of the observed at 4800 rpm. The hp was within about the same 25 - 30 hp at 5800 rpm.

    If the corrected was 300 - 400 hp off from the observed the dyno operator should be fired.
    No kidding. The way I see it you should pay no mind to the corrected #'s. Unless your looking for something to boast about. We will not run our boats in a perfect world at sea level so who cares about corrected. The actuals are what counts.
    "if we keep doing it the same way we always do..we will always get the same results"
    H8-2-W8
    [email protected] first pass

  15. #13
    i'm back!! 1QuickCP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    687

    Default

    Yup, thats why I never ran corrected numbers on my dyno. As far as 300-400 off...lmao...I've seen sheets worst than that...ah the stories I could tell from shops people would be very suprised did it.

    Heres a example, motor tested at 5200 feet,100 deg,50 % hum, 29.05 pulls 1000, just puttin that in a common used formula to correct for sea level we get.....ta da......1297, its just that people are so hung up on this shit builders fudge there results for the stupid braggin number. The old question, how come your 1600 hp motor from a respected shop that cost 90k runs the same in your car as the 1200 hp motor you had that I dynoed ? ummmmmm
    Last edited by 1QuickCP; 08-14-2010 at 07:18 AM.

  16. #14
    Lord of the Drinks Havasu Hangin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    273.36 Miles from Havasu
    Posts
    2,352

    Thumbs up

    So a 1300HP-1400HP blower motor on 93 octane is doable?
    "Warming the globe...16 cylinders at a time."

    Quote Originally Posted by Rexone View Post
    Perhaps I'm gay...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95