advance or retard the cam
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 50

Thread:
advance or retard the cam

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    35

    Default advance or retard the cam

    whats the purpose ? or is it just to fine tune to a specific engine ie. stroker long rod what? just kinda confused about it thats all.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    This is going to get good real fast.
    Wags

    OK, I will start with a general answer. Generally advancing the cam will help lower rpm range, while retarding it will help in the upper ranges. It will also affect piston to valve as it changes valve events with regards to the crankshaft.

  4. #3
    Gone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    add:
    4 degrees generally enough to "feel".
    more than 6 degrees "hurts all over."

    Next

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,269

    Default

    Not much to add to those two answers.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  7. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    35

    Default

    aaahhhhh thanks very very helpfull and in words i can understand

  8. #6
    Gone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    oh come on.

    Advancing the camshaft tightens the " " piston to valve clearance.....while loosening
    the ".....

  9. #7
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Generally speaking:

    if your engine makes 550 hp at 6,000 and falls off past there ( assume cam is straight-up), retarding the cam will extend the rpm range a couple hundred rpms. Advancing the cam will allow the engine to make more hp and more trq at a lower rpm and falls off faster or sooner than running it straight-up.

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  10. #8
    Senior Member wagspe208's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    waterloo
    Posts
    2,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat48 View Post
    oh come on.

    Advancing the camshaft tightens the " " piston to valve clearance.....while loosening
    the ".....
    I know! I know!
    Wags

  11. #9
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper CP View Post
    Generally speaking:

    if your engine makes 550 hp at 6,000 and falls off past there ( assume cam is straight-up), retarding the cam will extend the rpm range a couple hundred rpms. Advancing the cam will allow the engine to make more hp and more trq at a lower rpm and falls off faster or sooner than running it straight-up.

    S CP
    And why is that?
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  12. #10
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowlow62 View Post
    whats the purpose ? or is it just to fine tune to a specific engine ie. stroker long rod what? just kinda confused about it thats all.
    455 olds..v-drive w/40 gear 11 3/8 x16 dog ear
    -4 ig. [email protected]*spun prop 3900 at the hit and pulled 5300 easily
    0 [email protected]* spun prop 40-4050 at the hit and pulled 5300 but barely
    +4 ig. tim. @ 36* spun prop 4400 at the hit and was all done @ 5200
    added 2 more degrees ig. tim. 4475 (about) at the hit and was done @ 5200.
    +4 is where i wanted to be with a 5K redline
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat48 View Post
    oh come on.

    Advancing the camshaft tightens the " " piston to valve clearance.....while loosening
    the ".....
    Pick me pick me!



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    Purple headed member Quickjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Menifee
    Posts
    7,646

    Default

    Sometimes you have to advance/retard the cam just so it's put in straight up.....
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I used to believe QJ was a gay black man..

    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Secret View Post
    Keith...
    Real Fast Big Blocks are always V-Drives

  15. #13
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

  16. #14
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sold honda.bought hondo View Post
    455 olds..v-drive w/40 gear 11 3/8 x16 dog ear
    -4 ig. [email protected]*spun prop 3900 at the hit and pulled 5300 easily
    0 [email protected]* spun prop 40-4050 at the hit and pulled 5300 but barely
    +4 ig. tim. @ 36* spun prop 4400 at the hit and was all done @ 5200
    added 2 more degrees ig. tim. 4475 (about) at the hit and was done @ 5200.
    +4 is where i wanted to be with a 5K redline

    Did I miss something ? He asked about cam timing not ignition timing

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95