no spark to plugs on a 58 392 hemi
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread:
no spark to plugs on a 58 392 hemi

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default no spark to plugs on a 58 392 hemi

    so i go to crank my boat up that has been sitting for a few years. and try to turn it over. its getting spark all the way up to the coil but from the coil to the dizzy. the points are sparking and are gapped correctly.


    could wires be an issue? i was just starting out simple and replacing cap, rotor, and wires.

    any other suggestions?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member cakeeater ed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    huntington beach ca.
    Posts
    383

    Default

    condenser

  4. #3
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eightsevenzero View Post
    so i go to crank my boat up that has been sitting for a few years. and try to turn it over. its getting spark all the way up to the coil but from the coil to the dizzy. the points are sparking and are gapped correctly.


    could wires be an issue? i was just starting out simple and replacing cap, rotor, and wires.

    any other suggestions?
    This makes no sense. All the way to the coil? spark come FROM the coil. do you mean it has 12 volts to the coil? That means very little. Your coil could be toast. specially if the "key" was left on for some time with the engine off, the last time it did run. replace the condenser first. Then check the coil. But I say it the coil if you have no spark. condenser usually only effect it a speed. You can lift the neg off the coil (with the points closed)and touch it on and off the coil terminal. If it doesn't spark thru the coil wire, your coil is toast.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    no spark coming out of the coil as far as i can tell. i put a static light on the line going to the dizzy and put the wire from light on neg terminal on battery, it wont light up when i crank engine.

    my coil is definitley good, when i put it in my VW its fires right up.

    the coil has the wire from the dizzy going to the neg terminal and line from solenoid to the positive side.

  7. #5
    Senior Member jorndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Some Where Between lost and found
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eightsevenzero View Post
    no spark coming out of the coil as far as i can tell. i put a static light on the line going to the dizzy and put the wire from light on neg terminal on battery, it wont light up when i crank engine.

    my coil is definitley good, when i put it in my VW its fires right up.

    the coil has the wire from the dizzy going to the neg terminal and line from solenoid to the positive side.
    If you have 12V to the coil ground out the - side of coil several times and see if you have spark out of coil from coil wire to dizzy. File the points they will get corroded and not get contact.

  8. #6
    Senior Member motormonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    636

    Default

    Try hot wiring it without the ignition switch also.

  9. #7
    I don't feel tardy Hallett Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    845

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cakeeater ed View Post
    condenser
    I'm with Ed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    Im non induced and My turd leaves pretty hard as she sits.

  10. #8
    Senior Member jorndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Some Where Between lost and found
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eightsevenzero View Post
    no spark coming out of the coil as far as i can tell. i put a static light on the line going to the dizzy and put the wire from light on neg terminal on battery, it wont light up when i crank engine.

    my coil is definitley good, when i put it in my VW its fires right up.

    the coil has the wire from the dizzy going to the neg terminal and line from solenoid to the positive side.
    Put the test light on the wire out of the dizzy and go to + side of battery crank engine and see if it flashes, if it doen't then it is in the points or condenser.

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    problem solved, the resistor was fried. back in business, she sounds mean!

  12. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eightsevenzero View Post
    problem solved, the resistor was fried. back in business, she sounds mean!
    Pics???

  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    15

    Default

    man wish i had time to get some but not today, search my other thread about trying to identify the hull. same boat.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95