Hey GN7 / my BFF
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 30

Thread:
Hey GN7 / my BFF

  1. #1
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Question Hey GN7 / my BFF

    With your super knowledge about EVERYTHING...
    why would you think Mobil1 would be manufacturing a 0W-50 "racing oil?
    The ZDDP levels are healthy, even more so then their 15w-50.
    But why would you feel the reason for a "0W"-50 ???

    Being my boating season for 2010 ended yesterday I drained out the Valvoline synthetic VR1'Racing' 20/50.
    I felt it did a pretty good job of holding pressure/not breaking down and not building too much heat and > especially at 1/2 off the regular price ($8.50 down to $4.25 a qt) when I purchased it.

    Not sure (if) it's going back in or maybe, I'll knock the dust off my Brad Penn W50 OR > consider a Mobil1 option.

    http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

    And don't respond with >'how the (F) do I know'
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  2. #2
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Not really sure why Mobil made the decisiion to make a 0/50 rcing oil. they already had a 0/30, and stop making a 15(20?)/50 Racing oil some time ago. then when they made the decision to come back out with a heavier racing oil ny demand, they made it a 0/50. Yes it does in fact have more zddp than their 15/50 off the shelf stuff.

    I also learned that, of the nascar teams that DO NOT have oil sponsors, they almaost all run Mobil 1 Racing.

    Also, the x/40 and x/50 and all the straight weights got a reprieve, again, from the ZDDP requirement thru at least the end of the year. And thats a manufacturing thing. Not a sale by, or on the self thing. So my favorite oil in the world does it fact still have more zddp than any of the X/10,15,20 30 oils. For now! They still have to meet SL standards, but those were along ways from SM. Interesting note: VR1 10/30 racing is the only VR1 with a SL rating. All the others are SM but immune to the ZDDP limit due to their weight. But the 10/30 would have to meet the new SM standards if labeled as SM. Valvoline knows how to play some games thats for sure. But that also means Mobil 1 15/50 is immune as well. Their racing though, is head and shoulders above anything you can buy off the shelf. It is in fact a true racing oil. Would I run it. Nope! The price is crushing in my opinion.
    I have in fact switched oils for the 300 and will tear the motor down after the race to take a looksy. It is in the same motor we ran for the past 2 seasons. same motor that snapped the crank snout. Same bearing for 2 seasons. Same bearing in the "no oil pressure picure.". I bought it off the shelf in a Trak Auto. I think I am sold already. I love Torco SR5, but this stuff is way easier to get and a little cheaper. And its rated at SG Same as Brad Penn and Pennzoil GT Racing!


    Toss in the Brad Penn!



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 10-24-2010 at 10:29 PM.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Not really sure why Mobil made the decisiion to make a 0/50 rcing oil. they already had a 0/30, and stop making a 15(20?)/50 Racing oil some time ago. then when they made the decision to come back out with a heavier racing oil ny demand, they made it a 0/50. Yes it does in fact have more zddp than their 15/50 off the shelf stuff.

    I also learned that, of the nascar teams that DO NOT have oil sponsors, they almaost all run Mobil 1 Racing.

    Also, the x/40 and x/50 and all the straight weights got a reprieve, again, from the ZDDP requirement thru at least the end of the year. And thats a manufacturing thing. Not a sale by, or on the self thing. So my favorite oil in the world does it fact still have more zddp than any of the X/10,15,20 30 oils. For now! They still have to meet SL standards, but those were along ways from SM. Interesting note: VR1 10/30 racing is the only VR1 with a SL rating. All the others are SM but immune to the ZDDP limit due to their weight. But the 10/30 would have to meet the new SM standards if labeled as SM. Valvoline knows how to play some games thats for sure. But that also means Mobil 1 15/50 is immune as well. Their racing though, is head and shoulders above anything you can buy off the shelf. It is in fact a true racing oil. Would I run it. Nope! The price is crushing in my opinion.
    I have in fact switched oils for the 300 and will tear the motor down after the race to take a looksy. It is in the same motor we ran for the past 2 seasons. same motor that snapped the crank snout. Same bearing for 2 seasons. Same bearing in the "no oil pressure picure.". I bought it off the shelf in a Trak Auto. I think I am sold already. I love Torco SR5, but this stuff is way easier to get and a little cheaper. And its rated at SG Same as Brad Penn and Pennzoil GT Racing!
    Toss in the Brad Penn!
    GN, could you elaborate on the red part > (if) I read it right > why would an SM rated oil be immune to the ZDDP regulations because of its weight?
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    435

    Default

    I have a question, in a non race app, roller cam deal what advantage would synthetic oil bring to the table? hp vs seat of the pants or wear issue??
    i have been running 15w40 rotella in my 565 for two seasons with zero problems.

    With 14 qt pan how and why do i justify Synthetic oil @ $$ per qt.

    no need to trow stones just asking....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Green Bay Wi,USA
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Lets throw rocks instead.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Or you could just throw out a good answer and buck the system

  7. #7
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
    GN, could you elaborate on the red part > (if) I read it right > why would an SM rated oil be immune to the ZDDP regulations because of its weight?
    There is more to the requirements than just a maximum ZDDP levels. There are detergent, TBN(total base number) vapoization, etc requirements. Oil that are not in the "lighter weights" were given a free pass for now by the International Lubricant Standardization and Approval Committee. (read as the car compnaies) for now. At least until the end of the year. The assumption is that nobody is going to buy 20/50 or 50 wt and put it in a new car. Their big get into your hands, and the max limit is still lower than "other" oils available at yoou local retailer, if you know what to look for. No, Iam not going to tell you where. Yet. Still doing some investigating of my own. It will be in my motor for the 300, with some NEW parts for me to check for wear after the race.

    I don't make the rules. I can only tell you that the heavier oils can have a SM cert, with out meeting ALL the requirements. Like I said earlier, it explains why VR1 10/30 is certified at SL.
    The frick'n stuff is in fact better than any other CONVENTIONAL oil you find in the retail store. Is it any better than their own non race oil. I doubt it.

    I would still use the Brad Penn for your next oil change.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  8. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DEL51 View Post
    Lets throw rocks instead.
    How about I throw you one of these instead



    Quote Originally Posted by DEL51 View Post
    Lets throw rocks instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by havasubyou View Post
    I have a question, in a non race app, roller cam deal what advantage would synthetic oil bring to the table? hp vs seat of the pants or wear issue??
    i have been running 15w40 rotella in my 565 for two seasons with zero problems.

    With 14 qt pan how and why do i justify Synthetic oil @ $$ per qt.

    no need to trow stones just asking....
    Operating hours between changes, wear on almost every moving part in the engine, almost immune to thermal breakdown, and can protect at tempertures that would crush conventional oil. But if your deal doesn't punish your oil that badly, you may not care.

    a 9500 rpm Nascar engine or a 19000 rpm F1 engine would be toast in no time with a conventional oil. Specially at the weights they are using.
    The last oil I bought was 10.00 a quart. before that, it was 15.00.
    Rotella may no longer be your best choice in conventional oils today. Except in price. As much as it pains me to say this, VR1 20/50 may be a better choice. I have actuall lab reports from an EXTREMELY REPUTABLE source, that shows the stuff is a good now as it has ever been, along with the VR1 straight weights. The 10/30 a little less so. And this is for now. Things change so fast, and don't expect Valvoline to send you a post card if things do change.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  9. #9
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ... I have actuall lab reports from an EXTREMELY REPUTABLE source, that shows the stuff is a good now as it has ever been, along with the VR1 straight weights. The 10/30 a little less so. And this is for now. Things change so fast, and don't expect Valvoline to send you a post card if things do change.
    Whoooooo > STOP THE DAMN BUS!
    You're now stating you have proof the current SM very low ZDDP rated VR1 Racing oil is as good as it was years and years ago???
    Before you were saying almost anything on the shelf was a better choice > I'm confused and here we go again!
    Come-on...spill the beans man!
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  10. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HammerDown View Post
    Whoooooo > STOP THE DAMN BUS!
    You're now stating you have proof the current SM very low ZDDP rated VR1 Racing oil is as good as it was years and years ago???
    Before you were saying almost anything on the shelf was a better choice > I'm confused and here we go again!
    Come-on...spill the beans man!
    Any idea how many murderers are given a reprieve in the last hours. The oil companies pleaded their case, and maybe even little more, and were given a stay on the whole ZDDP thing for now. They will have to remove it eventually. But for now, HEAVY wieghts of the stuff is excempt. I still won't run the stuff. But if I was going to run a conventional, it would be on the list. Don't know how happy the car companies are, but I know the oil companies were on a war path. They were/are very aware if all the "bad press" that was out there. Be rest assured, the SM 10/30 and ligther stuff is pure evil in a bottle.
    I know what your thinking HD. But think how hard it is for me to post this. I hate the stuff. Actually, I hate the company.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  11. #11
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    So, the little stickers are factual...I now have to send that (southern spoken fella) Valvoline rep I spoke to over the phone an apology card from Hallmark
    My head hurts
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  12. #12
    21 Daytona Outlaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Artesia, N.M.
    Posts
    5,291

    Default

    TORCO and Don't look back
    #55

  13. #13
    Super Moderator HammerDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    The Right Coast/SE-PA
    Posts
    5,488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    TORCO and Don't look back
    Uh, don't you have something to polish...hate you...
    <img src=http://www.performanceboats.com/gallery/data/500/medium/06-30-11_1234.jpg border=0 alt= />

  14. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
    TORCO and Don't look back
    still my oil of choice.

    HD chill. First, that was a volitale time in the industry. I can't remember if those bottles were SL or SM. Makes no difference really. But, the levels are(or at least coujld be) higher now than they were then. Its kind of like the "Don't ask don't tell" thing. first its in, then some judge throws it out, then some appeals court judge throws in back in. The oil companies went to the mat on this. You have any idea the flack on the internet over all this. They were getting hammered down(sic). They faught back and won. For now. I 'm still not a big fan. Its still not what I consider to be a racing oil. I still believe it is intentionally mis-labeled. Torco makes a "street" non racing oil that would bury it. So would any of the Mobil 1s. So would Royal Purple non racing. I could name a dozen oils that are far superior and yet, are not called "Racing" oil.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 10-26-2010 at 11:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95