old guys....points ignition question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 26

Thread:
old guys....points ignition question

  1. #1
    Senior Member lbhsbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,617

    Default old guys....points ignition question

    It's been 10 years since I played with points....took me about 2 hours to find my old dwell meter...

    Anyway, the new toy I just bought has a GM points distributor....stock basic stuff.

    The wiring from the previous owner was all screwed up, so I set out to straighten it out.

    I'd like to run it in original form....with a ballast resistor.

    If I remember correctly, the ballast resistor goes in-line in the wire from the key to the coil + for the "run" circuit, and run a wire from the "R" terminal on the starter to the coil + to bypass the resistor and give 12V to the coil while cranking....Is this right?

    I thought it was, but the new ballast resistor started to let the smoke out after about 30 seconds of running, so I am left scratching my head.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    mo balls than $cents$ IMPATIENT 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    hugo,okla
    Posts
    11,729

    Default

    that's how ive always done it, maybe the new resistor has a coating on it? dropping from 12 to 6volts will let some heat out

    Dare to be different, if it turns out great you can claim you planned it that way.

    Jetboatperformance.com

  4. #3
    Senior Member lbhsbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    That was my thought as well. I remember I used to buy points for my old truck with the change I found in the seat....the points/condensor/resistor ran me about $45....I guess they're now looked at as "vintage" parts....just didn't wanna kill anything quite yet.

    thanks.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lbhsbz View Post
    It's been 10 years since I played with points....took me about 2 hours to find my old dwell meter...

    Anyway, the new toy I just bought has a GM points distributor....stock basic stuff.

    The wiring from the previous owner was all screwed up, so I set out to straighten it out.

    I'd like to run it in original form....with a ballast resistor.

    If I remember correctly, the ballast resistor goes in-line in the wire from the key to the coil + for the "run" circuit, and run a wire from the "R" terminal on the starter to the coil + to bypass the resistor and give 12V to the coil while cranking....Is this right?

    I thought it was, but the new ballast resistor started to let the smoke out after about 30 seconds of running, so I am left scratching my head.
    Just make sure the coil is a " use with external resistor " coil and not an aftermarket " no resistor required " unit!

  7. #5
    Senior Member lbhsbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Just make sure the coil is a " use with external resistor " coil and not an aftermarket " no resistor required " unit!
    OK, you got me.

    It's a yellow accel canister coil...I didn't know the coil cared how much voltage you put to it. I thought the 6 volt thing was to save the points?

    School me.

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,168

    Default British Leyland "smoke"

    Quote Originally Posted by lbhsbz View Post
    OK, you got me.

    It's a yellow accel canister coil...I didn't know the coil cared how much voltage you put to it. I thought the 6 volt thing was to save the points?

    School me.
    You can buy Austin Healy and MG original "smoke" in a bottle to replace the smoke that came in the wiring of those cars originally

    Yes, a new ballast Resistor WILL smoke when first used... No harm, no foul, it's just burning the ceramic coating off the resistance coil.... GM original coils never had an external resistor, as the GM original coils were 9 volt.. It was the FOMOCOs and Mopars that used the "divorced" resistor.... The volt drop is indeed to extend the life of the points, but the drop is only down to about 9 volts when running... Most, if not all, of the aftermarket coils required a ballast resistor...
    And yeah, an old school tune up, with good parts, use to be about what a pack of smokes cost today..... The "Standard Ignition" line of "Blue Streak" use to be the way to go, I'm not sure if they're still around with all the Chinese competition these days. The last one I messed with got Accel pieces. Points, cond, rotor, and cap, about $70....It's still running strong....BUT, so is the "Blue Streak" stuff I used 18 yrs ago when the 402 I'm running today was built... (it sat under a bench for 10-12 years, and fired right up with zero adjustments!!)
    BTW, the dwell is 30* in case you've forgotten
    Ray
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  9. #7
    Purple headed member Quickjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Menifee
    Posts
    7,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lbhsbz View Post
    That was my thought as well. I remember I used to buy points for my old truck with the change I found in the seat....the points/condensor/resistor ran me about $45....I guess they're now looked at as "vintage" parts....just didn't wanna kill anything quite yet.

    thanks.
    Prices of those things keep going up for some reason.
    I would of installed an HEI unit and been done with it. I understand wanting to keep it original looking though.
    There was an HEI dealio for sale in the spam section I think (might of been craigslist) for 60 bux...
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I used to believe QJ was a gay black man..

    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Secret View Post
    Keith...
    Real Fast Big Blocks are always V-Drives

  10. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Parker Az. / Burley Id.
    Posts
    643

    Default

    If you want to look vintage, buy a Pertronix ignitor for the distribuitor and ditch the points. They work great and you can put your dwell meter back in the tool box.

  11. #9
    Gone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moneypit View Post
    You can buy Austin Healy and MG original "smoke" in a bottle to replace the smoke that came in the wiring of those cars originally

    Yes, a new ballast Resistor WILL smoke when first used... No harm, no foul, it's just burning the ceramic coating off the resistance coil.... GM original coils never had an external resistor, as the GM original coils were 9 volt.. It was the FOMOCOs and Mopars that used the "divorced" resistor.... The volt drop is indeed to extend the life of the points, but the drop is only down to about 9 volts when running... Most, if not all, of the aftermarket coils required a ballast resistor...
    And yeah, an old school tune up, with good parts, use to be about what a pack of smokes cost today..... The "Standard Ignition" line of "Blue Streak" use to be the way to go, I'm not sure if they're still around with all the Chinese competition these days. The last one I messed with got Accel pieces. Points, cond, rotor, and cap, about $70....It's still running strong....BUT, so is the "Blue Streak" stuff I used 18 yrs ago when the 402 I'm running today was built... (it sat under a bench for 10-12 years, and fired right up with zero adjustments!!)
    BTW, the dwell is 30* in case you've forgotten
    Ray
    Which was a point gap of ............ ?

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    I was going to respond to this thread. But then I saw it said ole guys. I didn't feel I qualified. Besides, CD and transitorized, and HEIs were all out before I was born. I have heard of these "points and condenser" deals, but not familiar with them at all since I have never actually seen one. Were they stock in flat heads?



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat48 View Post
    Which was a point gap of ............ ?
    .017 or a matchbook cover.
    Don't remember an external ballast resistor anywhere on the Fords I worked on...course, they didn't have wooden spokes....
    Fords that I know of and remember used a special resistance wire to the coil. The coil got full 12v from the starter relay.
    When I did a tune up I always bought points for a dual point dist. since they had a heavier spring and were good for more rpm. Heck, the 390 in my work truck still has points. Which reminds me...
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 10-28-2010 at 08:58 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Newbury Park, Ca/Mohave Valley, Az
    Posts
    8,168

    Default Spider webs.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiat48 View Post
    Which was a point gap of ............ ?
    I believe it's .018 to get 30*..... Most of the "books" had "28-32*" and/or .017-.019 point gap....(GMs idea of the allen wrench through the cap eliminated the gap setting, and popularized the dwell meters)...) The trick was setting dual points in the vehicle with the ol' matchbook canceling out one set, then the other, then checking total at what? 42* or something like that??..... And the theory of longer dwell, (condenser soak time) created a hotter spark.... The came the CD systems.... Points lasted for ever and the current never changed due to the "discharge" part of CD.... Ray

    PS weren't the early flatheads mags??..... I know they drove off the front of the engine..... Our 50 Merc had a home made transistor ignition, then a home made CD system.....With a 3 way switch on the dash from conventional, transistor, or CD, as the CD was kinda cold natured in the wintertime....AND yes, my dad was a TV repairman and had a bitchin' set of tools.....
    LOUD BOATS SAVE LIVES

  15. #13
    Senior Member lbhsbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Beach
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Chevy never had external resistors?

    I had a 72 (last year for points) El Camino with a 2 barrel 350, bone stock, that had one. IIRC, my 64 chevy truck had one too. They were screwed to the fire wall with a lag bolt...3/8" head if I remember correctly, just to the left of the distributor (between the bulkhead connector and coil) and had an offset mounting boss cast into the insulator.
    Last edited by lbhsbz; 10-28-2010 at 09:37 PM.

  16. #14
    Gone
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sparks, Nevada
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    Thought 72 was HEI.
    Maybe GN7 remembers. Claims he was born about that time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95