Dyno Testing!! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 15 to 28 of 123

Thread:
Dyno Testing!!

  1. #15
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Inconclusive I agree! Waste of money! I agree! Dyno testing is a paper product that tells you what an engine will produce in a 4 wall room with alot of computer crap. THATS IT. M
    That's not what I was leading to with my "inconclusive". Maybe I should have said "incomplete", but if the information is incomplete, it makes it somewhat inconclusive.
    I think dyno's are a great tool, but nothing more. It's merely another method of gathering information. There's a LOT of information gathered before an engine build ever even begins and the dyno is just a continuation of that information gathering process. It's also a great place to baseline tune an engine in a controlled environment, especially a new or unknown combination. It's very helpful to be able to go to the track or wherever knowing basically where you stand, and what to expect. You might also realize on the dyno that going to the track will be a waste of time and money (and could prove real embarassing), and you head back to the drawing board.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #16
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Widetrack View Post
    This is something I am doing this winter! I am planning on building a large cubic inch BBC that I will dyno. I am going to test it with a single 4150(850) carb adapted on a Brodix 2001 intake then go to the 4500 carb(1050)! Next I plan on changing over to the Elde Victor 2R and test with 2 850s adapted then 2 1050s! This is to see what power changes and what will bring the motor to it's top performance!
    Yes we all know what a T/R will out perform a single plane but, this will be on paper! And I may even test 2 different dynos to make sure they are on the up an up between the two!
    What do yall think is this knowledge or waste! WT



    I know I am going to catch crap on this!
    It's fun to play with and would be interesting to know a few things but how big of an engine and what rpm ?

    There's really no good reason to run an 850 on a 540"+ engine at any rpm range above 5,000 or 5,500 or so. The carb and intake will just "choke" the engine. As Scott stated if this is a single cam engine ( only one cam on the dyno) what combo are you going to choose the cam to match?

    Forget about two different dynos, just use a calibrated one to begin with.


    If the engine is over 540" and you're going to spin it over 6,500 use an 1,150 or bigger carb on the single carb intake, use a matched set of 1,050's on the T/R intake. Choose the cam for what intake you think you're going to ultimately run.

    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  4. #17
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    It's also a great place to baseline tune an engine in a controlled environment, especially a new or unknown combination. :
    Most certainley.

    But something tells me even Hendricks dyno's every built engine that was built just like the last 50

    I've never walked away from a day on the dyno that I didn't find out something I didn't know 4-8 hrs before.


    S CP

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #18
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper CP View Post
    Save it Ol guy. I can know more about my engine in 4 hrs on the dyno than you'll know about yours in 4 years.

    S CP
    OK insults! I can know more about my motor and how it works in the ENVIRONMENT it runs in by 4 minutes on the water instead of 4 hours on the DYNO. Do your'e self a favor and save the "SAVE IT Comments" It doesn't Take my boat 1/4 mile to get there! I have already commended you on your'e achievements on your'e boat and I am running 1/4 motor of the motor and about the same weight WITHOUT nitrous. Thanks M

  7. #19
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Don't come to mine if you are looking for big numbers. I calibrate according to Superflow. As Steel said, a dyno is just a comparative tool. Tune for best power curve. Mine is for testing and not engine builder engine sales.

    If you are looking for numbers, I can send you to one about 50 miles down the road and you can pick up 50 to 100. All you really have on a given day is the observed or uncorrected.

    Gear.

  8. #20
    "Need For Speed" Gearhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlanta, Texas, United States
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    OK insults! I can know more about my motor and how it works in the ENVIRONMENT it runs in by 4 minutes on the water instead of 4 hours on the DYNO. Do your'e self a favor and save the "SAVE IT Comments" It doesn't Take my boat 1/4 mile to get there! I have already commended you on your'e achievements on your'e boat and I am running 1/4 motor of the motor and about the same weight WITHOUT nitrous. Thanks M
    Ole guy.... if that is the case you are a genius. I don't know how you can obtain a proper fuel curve, timing curve and know the power curve in four minutes. I agree with real environment and Not trying to insult you at all, but 30 years racing and 15 plus years running a dyno tells me different. I only wish I could hold our A/Fuel engine on our dyno.... but I can't. So we do the next best thing and use a very comprehensive data aquisition unit to assist with tracking fuel, timing and clutch.

    Gear

  9. #21
    Senior Member cyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,620

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Inconclusive I agree! Waste of money! I agree! Dyno testing is a paper product that tells you what an engine will produce in a 4 wall room with alot of computer crap. THATS IT. M
    I have to disagree.

    There are a multitude of things he can test on the dyno that he won't be able to accurately test on the water.

    He can change the cam timing, valve lash, ignition timing, carb jetting etc and see the effect.

    No matter how good a tuner you might be, there is always power to be found on the dyno and you aren't going to find it on the water by making changes and then watching your tachometer, nor will you find it at the racetrack by looking at timeslips.

    Every engine build I've been a part of, whether it was my own or a professional builder's, the engine made more power by a minimum of 40hp by the time it came off the dyno.

    As for all of those manifold and carb changes...they are interesting changes to test but you wont have enough time to optimize each combination in a single day. That sort of testing takes at least two days.

    I say go for it, tune the engine until you can't find any more power on the dyno and then fine tune it in the boat on the water. Dyno testing is not a waste if you use the information to your advantage and not just strap the engine down, make a few pulls and call it good.
    Last edited by cyclone; 11-22-2010 at 07:28 PM.

  10. #22
    Senior Member Widetrack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southwest corner AR
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    My basis was a basic test on carbs and intakes! Just to show differences! Same cam pump gas motor! WT

    Thanks for the replys!


    SOMEONE SAID YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU! SO,IM BURNING IT UP ONE GALLON AT A TIME!
    WT

    WFL Crew!!!

  11. #23
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Don't come to mine if you are looking for big numbers. I calibrate according to Superflow. As Steel said, a dyno is just a comparative tool. Tune for best power curve. Mine is for testing and not engine builder engine sales.

    If you are looking for numbers, I can send you to one about 50 miles down the road and you can pick up 50 to 100. All you really have on a given day is the observed or uncorrected.

    Gear.
    Wish I was closer.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  12. #24
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Widetrack View Post
    My basis was a basic test on carbs and intakes! Just to show differences! Same cam pump gas motor! WT

    Thanks for the replys!
    The overall learning experience alone will outweigh the results. I wish I had that kind of access to a dyno.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  13. #25
    Resident Ford Nut Sleeper CP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego County
    Posts
    10,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    OK insults! I can know more about my motor and how it works in the ENVIRONMENT it runs in by 4 minutes on the water instead of 4 hours on the DYNO. Do your'e self a favor and save the "SAVE IT Comments" It doesn't Take my boat 1/4 mile to get there! I have already commended you on your'e achievements on your'e boat and I am running 1/4 motor of the motor and about the same weight WITHOUT nitrous. Thanks M
    Well Mike not everyone has your talents, people like me, Cyclone, Cs19,John D, Mike Miller,BP289, Scott and a few others aren't blessed with that knowledge level. Some people use a dyno as a crutch to get them by with their combos.

    WT wants to find out a few things about an engine combo that he can't find out in a day or two on the water. Seems to me that a dyno cell would be the perfect place to do it. Do you have a better option for what he wants to do ?

    Once again how many engine's have you "flogged" on a dyno Mike ?

    S CP

    Jon

    "Dark Sarcasm"
    Going fast is only half the fun ... what you make go
    fast is the other half.
    " A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have"

  14. #26
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,814

    Default

    Please don't Take this a personal attack on a dyno! I do not live and die by them as some do! Weather conditions,power to rate, drag co-efficience come to play in my mind. If you have an on-board data accumulator to measure eveything relavant to the test, then GREAT. I have found that seat of the pants diagnostics have helped more for the econo tuner than spending $$$$$$$$ on a dyno that is not logged into all related circumstances. Sorry so many have taken offense! M

  15. #27
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    Please don't Take this a personal attack on a dyno! I do not live and die by them as some do! Weather conditions,power to rate, drag co-efficience come to play in my mind. If you have an on-board data accumulator to measure eveything relavant to the test, then GREAT. I have found that seat of the pants diagnostics have helped more for the econo tuner than spending $$$$$$$$ on a dyno that is not logged into all related circumstances. Sorry so many have taken offense! M
    I didn't hear any one here say anything about "living or dying" by the dyno. Actually, what WT is planning on doing is more what a dyno is for than anything else. To test. Test trends, test different parts and combinations, test materials, etc. He was just posting up something more pertinent to this section than half the other sillyness here, but it seems you felt the need to take the opportunity to use it as your personal soap box to let us ALL know that you're above that nonsense and don't need a dyno.
    Bell, I say bully for you.
    Now would you mind letting WT and the others that are interested in this, have their fun please, ridiculous as it may seem to you?
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 11-22-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  16. #28
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper CP View Post
    Well Mike not everyone has your talents, people like me, Cyclone, Cs19,John D, Mike Miller,BP289, Scott and a few others aren't blessed with that knowledge level. Some people use a dyno as a crutch to get them by with their combos.

    WT wants to find out a few things about an engine combo that he can't find out in a day or two on the water. Seems to me that a dyno cell would be the perfect place to do it. Do you have a better option for what he wants to do ?

    Once again how many engine's have you "flogged" on a dyno Mike ?

    S CP

    Jon
    Can you imagine what it would be like to go to the lake and try to test three different intakes and four different carb combinations?
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95