What cam????
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 27

Thread:
What cam????

  1. #1
    Under yo mommas bed jangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Marana, Az
    Posts
    1,884

    Default What cam????

    Okay, so now that I switched completely from outboards to a vdrive I need some engine building tips.

    I have a 468 with 990 heads and a single 850 holley and a very mellow cam. What I am thinking of doing is switching to a tunnel with 2 750 4150s , adding nitrous and a nice cam. Problem is I don't know anything about cams and what will work with these heads. I am not going to do any work to the heads at this time or to the lower end . We shall see if it lets loose or not. Can I get an AMEN?? Well, a cam reccomendation will do it. I really can't afford to keep buying crap I can't use so someone please help an old man out.
    Thax
    jangles


    "Thanking Obama for killing Bin Laden is like thanking Ronald McDonald for the hamburger.

    Thank the SEALS NOT the CLOWN.



    Official Member IttyBittyTittyCommitee



    http://newsbusters.org/

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    I would use something in the .630 lift range with a duration of 260 or so @ .050 with a 110 or 112 center on the lobes.
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

  4. #3
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Okay, so now that I switched completely from outboards to a vdrive I need some engine building tips.

    I have a 468 with 990 heads and a single 850 holley and a very mellow cam. What I am thinking of doing is switching to a tunnel with 2 750 4150s , adding nitrous and a nice cam. Problem is I don't know anything about cams and what will work with these heads. I am not going to do any work to the heads at this time or to the lower end . We shall see if it lets loose or not. Can I get an AMEN?? Well, a cam reccomendation will do it. I really can't afford to keep buying crap I can't use so someone please help an old man out.
    Thax
    jangles
    Well what size is the cam in it now, do you like it?

    What rpm do you want to spin, what rpm range are you looking for?

    What compression, gear, prop are you running?

    How much nitrous do you plan on running and how often will you use the nitrous?

    What type of cam, flat, roller, hyd, solid?
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Under yo mommas bed jangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Marana, Az
    Posts
    1,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivalride View Post
    Well what size is the cam in it now, do you like it?

    What rpm do you want to spin, what rpm range are you looking for?

    What compression, gear, prop are you running?

    How much nitrous do you plan on running and how often will you use the nitrous?

    What type of cam, flat, roller, hyd, solid?
    Loren, my answer to all of that is I don't know. Seriously, I haven't had the boat in the water.


    "Thanking Obama for killing Bin Laden is like thanking Ronald McDonald for the hamburger.

    Thank the SEALS NOT the CLOWN.



    Official Member IttyBittyTittyCommitee



    http://newsbusters.org/

  7. #5
    Distinguished Member David 519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    5,754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Loren, my answer to all of that is I don't know. Seriously, I haven't had the boat in the water.
    If that's the case, any cam will do. Just pick the one at the bottom of the list and plug it in!!!


    Seriously, you might want to run the boat as is and see where you're at. Once you know where your at, it's easier to figure out where to go to get where you wanna be.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    ....... David 519 is 100% correct........

    Quote Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins82 View Post
    .....I think people forget that racing is supposed to fun. Losing shouldn't be discouraging it should motivate you work on your pile to make it faster.....

  8. #6
    AKA Blownjet 468 Blowncat 509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Paso & L.A.
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David 519 View Post
    If that's the case, any cam will do. Just pick the one at the bottom of the list and plug it in!!!


    Seriously, you might want to run the boat as is and see where you're at. Once you know where your at, it's easier to figure out where to go to get where you wanna be.
    X2-on the second comment, that is

  9. #7
    Under yo mommas bed jangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Marana, Az
    Posts
    1,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David 519 View Post
    If that's the case, any cam will do. Just pick the one at the bottom of the list and plug it in!!!


    Seriously, you might want to run the boat as is and see where you're at. Once you know where your at, it's easier to figure out where to go to get where you wanna be.
    Naw, the thing is bone stock and it's out right now. Time to build a motor and I'll gear to it. Next...........


    "Thanking Obama for killing Bin Laden is like thanking Ronald McDonald for the hamburger.

    Thank the SEALS NOT the CLOWN.



    Official Member IttyBittyTittyCommitee



    http://newsbusters.org/

  10. #8
    AKA Blownjet 468 Blowncat 509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Paso & L.A.
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    what do you mean "bone stock"? if it has 990's on it, it's what, a "bone
    stock" LS-6/LS-7? That's a far cry from say a ''surburban short block"

  11. #9
    Purple headed member Quickjet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Menifee
    Posts
    7,646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Okay, so now that I switched completely from outboards to a vdrive I need some engine building tips.

    I have a 468 with 990 heads and a single 850 holley and a very mellow cam. What I am thinking of doing is switching to a tunnel with 2 750 4150s , adding nitrous and a nice cam. Problem is I don't know anything about cams and what will work with these heads. I am not going to do any work to the heads at this time or to the lower end . We shall see if it lets loose or not. Can I get an AMEN?? Well, a cam reccomendation will do it. I really can't afford to keep buying crap I can't use so someone please help an old man out.
    Thax
    jangles
    If you want a flat tappet dealio run the Isky Z-89. It will work perfect with those heads.....
    Quote Originally Posted by EVILFORCE View Post
    I would use something in the .630 lift range with a duration of 260 or so @ .050 with a 110 or 112 center on the lobes.
    Almost the same specs as the Z-89 (with the exception of the lobe cntr)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blownjet 468 View Post
    what do you mean "bone stock"? if it has 990's on it, it's what, a "bone
    stock" LS-6/LS-7? That's a far cry from say a ''surburban short block"
    Those "stock heads" don't give a shit what shortblock is under them and neither will that cam. The bottom end is just along for the ride. The small cam with the lousy design of the 990 head will work perfect from an 8:1 stocker to a 12:1 LS7.
    In a decent set up true flatty that combo should run a tic over 90. Faster of course in a Runner bottom. Ask me how I know.....
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I used to believe QJ was a gay black man..

    Quote Originally Posted by Havasu Secret View Post
    Keith...
    Real Fast Big Blocks are always V-Drives

  12. #10
    Under yo mommas bed jangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Marana, Az
    Posts
    1,884

    Default

    Thank you , I need all the help I can get. This is going in my Sanger hydro, does that change anything concerning cam, etc?


    Happy Turkey Day!!!!!!!!!!!!


    "Thanking Obama for killing Bin Laden is like thanking Ronald McDonald for the hamburger.

    Thank the SEALS NOT the CLOWN.



    Official Member IttyBittyTittyCommitee



    http://newsbusters.org/

  13. #11
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jangles View Post
    Thank you , I need all the help I can get. This is going in my Sanger hydro, does that change anything concerning cam, etc?


    Happy Turkey Day!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you can run a cranking compression or tell me if it's domed or flat top pistons I can tell you what cams I've had and liked.

    I sort of agree with quickjet but I wouldn't cam my boat the same from 8:1 to 12:1, true you can drop the gear to let it spin but there are some drawbacks.

    My favorite low compression (9:1) cam with my 990s was 258/[email protected]" on a 110lsa installed on a 108, lift was .588"/.601", not very wild but easy on parts and would turn 7k.

    My current cam is being run with a true 12.5:1 and the 990 heads is 268/[email protected]" on a 110lsa installed on a 109, lift is .643"/.633" this one runs harder but is about my limit for a dual purpose deal trying to pull skiers.
    Last edited by Carnivalride; 12-01-2010 at 04:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  14. #12
    AKA Blownjet 468 Blowncat 509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Paso & L.A.
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    OK, from MY personal experience - I have run THIS CROWER SOLID in 2
    different engines- 1 was a 9.5 to 1 motor, the other was a 12to 1,

    I had the cam for the 9.5to 1 motor ground on a 110*lsa, while the 12 to1
    motor was ground to catolog spec on a 107* lsa- both motors ran extremely well- the 12 to1 engine was in a v drive w/ported 990's, a HOGAN'S T-RAM w/2-750's and I believe 19 gears- the 9.5 to 1 motor
    had big valve 049's with the "OVAL PORT VICTOR RAM" (pro-street ram)
    with 2-650dp's in an "A" impeller 19' jet

    spec's are as follows: crower # 01355

    v-drive jet
    292/300adv. 254/[email protected] .050 595/622lift 107llsa 110lsa

    funny how this is "oh so close" to Carnival Rides pick! somthing to ponder
    isn't it?

  15. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    36

    Default From past experience . . .

    FWIW . . . , This is what I would do for my jetboat guys that wanted something to run good and sound good, but did not want to do a lot to the rest of the motor, most often bone stock.

    There were some cams that Elgin used to make, but a lot of mfgs were making the exact same grind and marketing them under different private labels and names. May have also been a Melling product.

    Conventional Hydraulic Lifters, 230/230 @ .050, .544/.544, ground with a 109 LC. Since these were going into a jetboat motor and would never see 6,000, I would put them in at 9 or 10 degrees advanced (Intake CL end up sitting at 99 or 100).

    Did everything they expected, sounded good, and picked up about 15% - 20% in fuel economy from their stock setup and used regular fuel. You will hear lots of guys that won't agree and think this is too much advance, but the results were solid and troublefree (if they used the right oil and kept it free of water).

    Worked very well for me and my customers, but, you will most likely crispy critter that deal if you use the nitrous.

    Take care, K

  16. #14
    ptc
    ptc is offline
    Senior Member ptc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sacramento Area
    Posts
    3,746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quickjet View Post
    If you want a flat tappet dealio run the Isky Z-89. It will work perfect with those heads.....

    Those "stock heads" don't give a shit what shortblock is under them and neither will that cam. The bottom end is just along for the ride. The small cam with the lousy design of the 990 head will work perfect from an 8:1 stocker to a 12:1 LS7. In a decent set up true flatty that combo should run a tic over 90. Faster of course in a Runner bottom. Ask me how I know.....

    Thats probably a good bet. Im at 11:1 CR, TR with 660's running the Isky Z-97 which is .665 int/.654 exh with a 274/286 duration @ 110 degree lobe ctr. with 990 ported heads. Isky has all the springs, rockers and everything together in kit package.

    http://www.iskycams.com/onlinecatalog.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95