Would a new ZR1 motor work in a boat
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 124

Thread:
Would a new ZR1 motor work in a boat

  1. #1
    Senior Member bad news travels fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    615

    Default Would a new ZR1 motor work in a boat

    I have been going round and round about big inch na. motor vs. supercharged lsx motor. The numbers on the ZR1 look so good it is hard to ignore. 638 Hp, 600 ft lbs touque, 500 lbs weight. Idles nice and low, but turns 6600 rpm. Boat is a Stoker 224. I notice such a difference in the handling of the boat when a run half of the 50 gallons of gas, that pulling 300 lbs out of the arse would seem like a great idea. First, what does a tall deck bbc weigh? Second, what would it take to make a ZR1 marinized? The boat runs right at 80 with a 496 Mag. with Dana exhaust. How much does marinizing a motor add to the weight?
    Tommy

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    AKA Blownjet 468 Blowncat 509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Paso & L.A.
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    If I remember right, that boat( I wanted one real bad) would run 95mph with a stock
    merc hp500- how fast do you want to go? remember, outdrives don't live very long above
    5800 rpm (stock bravo anyway) where does that engine make that torque figure?


    Out With The Old, In With The New.......Goodbye Blinding Acceleration, Hello Sustained High Speed (in comfort)

  4. #3
    cfm
    cfm is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,263

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Concord, CA
    Posts
    939

    Default Zr1

    I beleive the ZR1 engine is a 427 cid. the LS3 is 376 cid.

    Just bought the wife a corvette. She let me drive it, and WOW. Cruising around, getting on freeway a little aggressive, running up to 80, and never went over 2,100 rpms. The HP/Touque specs show the power to be in the 5,500 rpm range. Watched some video's of stock trim Corvettes at 200mph and 5,200 rpm's. Might have to switch from boats for the thrills now.

    In a boat, These motors should good. I like your way of thinking,

    Jerry

  7. #5
    Senior Member Filucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    854

    Default

    That new ZR1 is baddass for sure, and i'm a Ford guy. But i'd guess a ZR1 crate motor complete with ECM, wiring harness ect. would be some big bucks. As cool as it would be it would be hard to justify when you could build a 700hp pumpgas N/A BBC for probably half the cost. But it would be different for sure.
    Nice!

  8. #6
    Senior Member gregb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Redondo
    Posts
    375

    Default

    If you haven't been down to the jet section, there are 10 pages or so of "spirited" discussion about LS vs BBC.

  9. #7
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Filucky View Post
    That new ZR1 is baddass for sure, and i'm a Ford guy. But i'd guess a ZR1 crate motor complete with ECM, wiring harness ect. would be some big bucks. As cool as it would be it would be hard to justify when you could build a 700hp pumpgas N/A BBC for probably half the cost. But it would be different for sure.
    A crate LS9 is right around $23,000 without the ECM. The first thing I would think about if using any of the crate LS motors, is looking at the ECM programming. No duubt the motor will run and the boat perfrom pretty well. But you have to rememeber the Vette is saddled with all kinds of CAFE and EPA regs it has to meet. At any thing less than WOT the ECM is constently try to maximize fuel consumption and minimize emissions. It will do what it takes to maximize the milage and minimize the emissions any way it can within its programming. That means it will try to shift a transmission that isn't there. What does this do to the engine parameters if the ECM doesn't see the Rs drop when they should have. What does it do next. Does what it ECM does in a case like that effect the performance of the engine? What does the ECM do if the engine temp doesn't come up to temp fast enough or high enough. Does it keep the fuel ration rich think the motor is cold and retart the timing to try and get the motor warmer, sooner. the time it takes a motor to get to temp is ctrictical to passing EPA regs. Do you know what GM wrote into the program to help speed that up, and what the engine is doing when it is below spec temp? Any of the LS motors really should have a custom written program for marine use.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  10. #8
    Senior Member bad news travels fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    San Jose
    Posts
    615

    Default

    GN7, all good points. I hadn't thought about the computer smog stuff.


    Fillucky, as far as building a 700 hp bbc, it can be done but if you build it for endurance; ie, 400 hours with efi you sre in the 30k plus range. There is also the fact that I like the idea of shaving 300 lbs out of the arse of the boat.

    Thanks for everyones input.
    Tommy

  11. #9
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billet racing View Post
    I beleive the ZR1 engine is a 427 cid. the LS3 is 376 cid.


    Jerry
    Nope. The ZR-1 motor is 6.2L. Not 7.0. I have been looking at the Camaro ZL-1 (SLP), which has a supercharged 7.0L. 750hp is the number on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  12. #10
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bad news travels fast View Post
    GN7, all good points. I hadn't thought about the computer smog stuff.


    Fillucky, as far as building a 700 hp bbc, it can be done but if you build it for endurance; ie, 400 hours with efi you sre in the 30k plus range. There is also the fact that I like the idea of shaving 300 lbs out of the arse of the boat.

    Thanks for everyones input.
    Tommy
    ?? the crate gm572 is 13k, will last just fine. and if you wanted to go nutz, a 572 making 800 on pump gas can be done for under 20k, running, and will last for a long long time. just sayin...

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beer:30 View Post
    Nope. The ZR-1 motor is 6.2L. Not 7.0. I have been looking at the Camaro ZL-1 (SLP), which has a supercharged 7.0L. 750hp is the number on that one.
    Right you are Beer, the ZO6 has the N/A 7 litre/427

    At 80K PLUS the price of a SS Camaro, you can have the thing.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bp298 View Post
    ?? the crate gm572 is 13k, will last just fine. and if you wanted to go nutz, a 572 making 800 on pump gas can be done for under 20k, running, and will last for a long long time. just sayin...
    The GM 572/620 has been dyno by 2 different mags and both came up with of 650HP. You could hit 750 doing nothing but changing the cam, and carb to somehting more realistic to a 572 inch motor. An 850 carb on a 572? Really?
    I would love to see those 2 motors in identical boats running balls out till the first one failed.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  15. #13
    New here Beer:30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Bakersfield, CA
    Posts
    4,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    At 80K PLUS the price of a SS Camaro, you can have the thing.
    I agree. I am having a rough time deciding if a 1-of-69 car is worth six-figures or not. I have always missed the limited edition stuff by a few buyers. I was gonna get one of the ZL1 (BBC) all alum 427 ENGINEs, but missed it. Now the guys that have them want 10K more than they were originally.

    SLP sent their sales rep out this last weekend to my local dealership. He brought a ZL585 (10psi into an otherwise stock 426hp SS), which I added 20 miles to. Real nice car. It had the Brembo brake package (15" front and rear) and those are amazing themselves.

    52 are sold, so I have to buckle-down and decide. I'm guaranteed it will be one of 69 for THIS bodystyle. He could not guarantee that the owner wouldn't do another ZL-1 in any future bodystyle of Camaro. I just wish I could tell what the future will bring. If I knew it would be worth 400-500K in 40 years like a '69 is - there would be NO hesitation.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    EFI is the wave of the future. There can be no denying it. Electronics have been on the leading edge of our entire lives. Not only os the magneto dead, but the standard issue CDI is wavering. Its all about total fuel, air AND spark control. Anybody that thinks its not has their head up their ass.


    2001 SleekCraft 30' Heritage SSB, open-bow mid-cuddy. 496HO / Bravo-I.

  16. #14
    Senior Member Filucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    The GM 572/620 has been dyno by 2 different mags and both came up with of 650HP. You could hit 750 doing nothing but changing the cam, and carb to somehting more realistic to a 572 inch motor. An 850 carb on a 572? Really?
    I would love to see those 2 motors in identical boats running balls out till the first one failed.
    I know which one i would put my money on, for endurance its a no brainer. BBF
    Nice!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95