Firing a new Engine
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 24

Thread:
Firing a new Engine

  1. #1
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default Firing a new Engine

    Well the time has finnaly come and I am ready to fire up the new engine.
    The engine has been pimed with oil and is ready to go. My question though is, the fuel system is dry and the oil cooler system lines are dry with the exception of the oil filters,I am running a mechanical fuel pump, should the fuel system be primed and should the oil cooler lines be filled and if so how should it be done? Should I pre fill the fuel filter?....Thanks....Hal

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    The Man cordog009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holorinhal View Post
    Well the time has finnaly come and I am ready to fire up the new engine.
    The engine has been pimed with oil and is ready to go. My question though is, the fuel system is dry and the oil cooler system lines are dry with the exception of the oil filters,I am running a mechanical fuel pump, should the fuel system be primed and should the oil cooler lines be filled and if so how should it be done? Should I pre fill the fuel filter?....Thanks....Hal
    Your oil cooler lines will be filled shortly after the engine starts spinning over. Just go back and check the oil level after you get it fired since some oil is now gonna be filling the hoses and cooler. I'd fill the fuel filter if it's a style that allows you to easily pre-fill it.


    1984 Youngblood TX-19 SOLD

  4. #3
    Senior Member stix818's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Mohave Valley/Quartzsite
    Posts
    4,188

    Default

    For easy starting I typically fill the float bowls through the vent tubes.. Cut a beer can in half and add fuel.. Once that is done push on all the accelerator pumps until fuel comes out.. Once it's running everything should prime..
    http://www.performanceboats.com//signaturepics/sigpic3592_1.gif
    Special Thanks to:
    Nelson Speed & Marine
    D21 ENT
    J.J. @ Beaver Fab
    Performance Boat Candy

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member hellnback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Dallas TX
    Posts
    746

    Default

    lol yeah all that and put the dizzy in the right way ... 180 out on a first fire sux nads ....
    It may be OLD ,it may be Slow ... but at least it's MOBILE !!!

  7. #5
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Why are the oil lines and cooler filled from the priming. did you prime this on a stand? I like prime it as an assembly. That way any leaks that may pop will get got before I fire the engine.

    stix is right. Prime the carb my filling the bowls. Never crank an engine till you have fuel. Once the engine fires, fuel will be at the carbs long before the carbs run out. No, you don't need to prime the fuel filter.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  8. #6
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Why are the oil lines and cooler not filled from the priming. did you prime this on a stand? I like prime it as an assembly. That way any leaks that may pop will get got before I fire the engine.
    fixed it for ya. seemed odd to me too. prime the entire oil system, not just part of it.

  9. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I'd be interested in hearing thoughts / opinions on cam break in on a new build -thanks moose

  10. #8
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daMoose View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing thoughts / opinions on cam break in on a new build -thanks moose
    What cam??? Is it a roller or flat or maybe a hydraulic? For what its worth I do not know how long it has been sitting or if the feul system has been touched. If it were me I would grab an electric pump and flush the feul system prior to firing. Nothing worse than sending a bunch of nasties into a carb during initial fire-up. You know, the old float stuck vac passages getting plugged, that whole bag of bummers! M

  11. #9
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Why are the oil lines and cooler filled from the priming. did you prime this on a stand? I like prime it as an assembly. That way any leaks that may pop will get got before I fire the engine.

    stix is right. Prime the carb my filling the bowls. Never crank an engine till you have fuel. Once the engine fires, fuel will be at the carbs long before the carbs run out. No, you don't need to prime the fuel filter.
    The oil cooler and lines are mounted in the boat. It is not a block mounted oil cooler.

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  12. #10
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ol guy View Post
    What cam??? Is it a roller or flat or maybe a hydraulic? For what its worth I do not know how long it has been sitting or if the feul system has been touched. If it were me I would grab an electric pump and flush the feul system prior to firing. Nothing worse than sending a bunch of nasties into a carb during initial fire-up. You know, the old float stuck vac passages getting plugged, that whole bag of bummers! M
    It is a full roller engine and all fuel lines are brand new.

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  13. #11
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holorinhal View Post
    The oil cooler and lines are mounted in the boat. It is not a block mounted oil cooler.
    So is mine. All the more reason to test everything as an assembly. Connect everything, and then prime the engine. That way you not only priming everything, your also checking everything for leaks



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  14. #12
    Senior Member ol guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Elsinore Ca
    Posts
    3,812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by holorinhal View Post
    It is a full roller engine and all fuel lines are brand new.
    rollers really don't require a break-in, but I would and do keep the "R"s up for a few minutes just to get the splash on the spinning mass and up top for the valve-train. M

  15. #13
    Senior Member holorinhal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    So is mine. All the more reason to test everything as an assembly. Connect everything, and then prime the engine. That way you not only priming everything, your also checking everything for leaks
    gn7 ,I think I understand what you are saying now,put the engine in the boat and conect every thing and then prime the whole system.

    What about water ,as there is no water pump or Tstat and I do not have the jet pump in, I have made a hose adapter to conect to the water fitting on the transom plate. Is there a certain amount of presure to push the water thru the engine that I should be carefull with? I am set up with two dumps out the back....H

    I'm not here for a long time, I'm just here for a good time!
    If your not on the edge.......your taking up too much room......Drive it like you stole it!

    73 KONA Restoration http://www.performanceboats.com//showthread.php?t=10678
    '81 Spectra 20 Facelift http://www.performanceboats.com/user...-facelift.html

    18' Advantage http://www.performanceboats.com/jet-...k-project.html

  16. #14
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Just open the tap 1/4 to 1/2 turn to start. You don't want to put alot of pressure in the block and heads. Wait till the water starts coming out the dumps, and light it off. It doesn't take alot of water sitting in your drive way. Your just not maiking that much heat. If the water dump gets hotter than you can hold your hand under, turn the water up ALITTLE.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 06-14-2011 at 04:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95