Well when you push inferior parts too hard too long........
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 34

Thread:
Well when you push inferior parts too hard too long........

  1. #1
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Unhappy Well when you push inferior parts too hard too long........

    Well I knew I was pushing the cast crank too hard but it kept passing magnaflux during inspections so I was trying to get one more season out of it before I changed it out. As you can see that was a big mistake on my part. IMO with care they live well at 7200rpm but they don't like 7500rpm. I will say that whirlaways make for very nice shut downs and recommend them for everybody.







    Here's the link to my photobucket if you're interested in all the carnage pictures

    Carnage 7_2_2011 pictures by carnivalride - Photobucket
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,271

    Default

    Rhu-roh. No bueno. Glad you weren't hurt.
    Last edited by scott foxwell; 07-13-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  4. #3
    Highaboosta Unchained's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ada, Michigan
    Posts
    3,431

    Default

    Wow what a mess.
    It looks like pretty much a total loss on the short block.

    Did the cyl head survive ?

    Twin Turbo 1800 HP V-Drive lake boat

    http://s621.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=MAH05771.mp4

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    No one cares about your buddies old antiquated garden hose technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by MAXIMUS View Post
    I think I could run more boost but it's a real hand full right now

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Village Idiot fc-Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Peoria, AZ
    Posts
    3,277

    Default

    Loren, sorry to see the old warrior finally let go. That had been a great engine. I am very glad to hear that you and the boat are safe and sound. Let us know what your future plans are.

    Paul

  7. #5
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Rhu-roh. No bueno. Glad you weren't hurt.
    Thanks Scott

    Quote Originally Posted by Unchained View Post
    Wow what a mess.
    It looks like pretty much a total loss on the short block.

    Did the cyl head survive ?
    Surprisingly yes they did, however an int and exh valve on each head kissed a piston so they'll need to be disassembled and inspected. I guess since 7 & 8 were able to freewheel and they got out of time and mashed the valves. I think that's how the cam might have broke. None of the pistons ever touched the head castings and the 2 that touched valves don't have dents.

    I have 4 good rods and pistons and 2 additional pistons that need to be checked for cracks before I consider them good. But ya pretty much a total loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  8. #6
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fc-Pilot View Post
    Loren, sorry to see the old warrior finally let go. That had been a great engine. I am very glad to hear that you and the boat are safe and sound. Let us know what your future plans are.
    Paul
    Thanks Paul, I really hated to see that combination grenade but it's my own fault I knew I was pushing it with that crank and was actually going to up the gears when I got back home and was planning on changing the crank this winter when I added the new heads. Shoulda, coulda, woulda oh well it's too late now.

    Future plans:
    same tunnel ram with the 2 x750 dps
    AFR 305 heads with cnc chambers and back cut intake valves
    Basset twisty headers
    Neovane water pump
    454 production block
    91 octane fuel compatible this time

    from there it's up in the air.......

    I have an old Velasco 4.25" stroke crank and a nice set of SRP pistons for it but they only use the 6.385" long rod

    I can get a nice set of SRP pistons from a friend that changed directions that use the 6.385" long rod and 4" stroke and will give me about 10:1 compression

    If I can't find a 4-bolt block reasonable I have a nice standard bore 2-bolt I could add splayed caps to.

    So honestly at this point I have no clue what I'm doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  9. #7
    AKA Blownjet 468 Blowncat 509's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Somewhere between Paso & L.A.
    Posts
    1,205

    Default

    Been there, it sucks for sure, I wouldn't trust the stock crank above 6500rpm, but wouldn't have a problem running the studded 2-bolt block
    at all.......


    Out With The Old, In With The New.......Goodbye Blinding Acceleration, Hello Sustained High Speed (in comfort)

  10. #8
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Loren, I wouldn't even post this, but I don't want to see you build a bigger badder bullet without thinking about something.

    The observed torque across the front arm of a crank in a v-drive running off the flywheel is almost nil. The torque transmitted thru the front pin arm of the crank is zilch. The number 8 crank arm sees 100%.
    The number one reason a crank breaks at the front arm is a damper with a moving enertia ring(fluidamper), or the damper/front pulley was out of balance.

    After looking at the pic on photobucket, as well as the ones posted here, I see something you may care to address on the next build.
    The piston pin and bore look like they been to hell and back. A slight dicolorization, but a strange wear pattern at the outboard area of the pin where it rides in the piston, matched by a scored piston pin bore.
    If the pin flexes, it goes oval and cannot rotate in the rod or piston bore, not counting the fact that it is now wider across the oval, and stressing the piston bore. I know, I've done it. So has Hass 828. The pin doesn't HAVE to flex to make those marks. Oil and oil supply can do it as well. That is a tough job for an oil. Its what I look for when evaluating an oil. The pins, bores, lifter bodies, and pushrod tips and rocker cups. You can lube a main and rod bearing with wesson oil and pressure. But when it is pure splash and hope, the oil better be up to it.
    It could be oil, but my gut says flex. Its much harder on the piston, and doesn't take much of it, or too often to bust the piston bore.
    When the piston bore fails, the rod swings around wildly, can take out the camshaft, and eventually, in my case, the pin nails the main cap bulkhead with the pin hanging out there. In my case the crank was a 4340, and it snapped the rod, not the bolts, but the rod in 2, and broke the piston pin. But a cast crank, spinning 7500 may be the first thing to fail. It could very well have broken the crank if the top of the rod stabbed the camshaft while it was flailing around.

    Not saying that is what had to happen. But I don't like the looks of the pin and piston pin bore. You have a better view than I do, but you owe it to yourselve to check it out closer. JMHO



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Last edited by gn7; 07-15-2011 at 10:08 PM.

  11. #9
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Loren, I wouldn't even post this, but I don't want to see you build a bigger badder bullet without thinking about something.

    The observed torque across the front arm of a crank in a v-drive running off the flywheel is almost nil. The torque transmitted thru the front pin arm of the crank is zilch. The number 8 crank arm sees 100%.
    The number one reason a crank breaks at the front arm is a damper with a moving enertia ring(fluidamper), or the damper/front pulley was out of balance.

    After looking at the pic on photobucket, as well as the ones posted here, I see something you may care to address on the next build.
    The piston pin and bore look like they been to hell and back. A slight dicolorization, but a strange wear pattern at the outboard area of the pin where it rides in the piston, matched by a scored piston pin bore.
    If the pin flexes, it goes oval and cannot rotate in the rod or piston bore, not counting the fact that it is now wider across the oval, and stressing the piston bore. I know, I've done it. So has Hass 828. The pin doesn't HAVE to flex to make those marks. Oil and oil supply can do it as well. That is a tough job for an oil. Its what I look for when evaluating an oil. The pins, bores, lifter bodies, and pushrod tips and rocker cups. You can lube a main and rod bearing with wesson oil and pressure. But when it is pure splash and hope, the oil better be up to it.
    It could be oil, but my gut says flex. Its much harder on the piston, and doesn't take much of it, or too often to bust the piston bore.
    When the piston bore fails, the rod swings around wildly, can take out the camshaft, and eventually, in my case, the pin nails the main cap bulkhead with the pin hanging out there. In my case the crank was a 4340, and it snapped the rod, not the bolts, but the rod in 2, and broke the piston pin. But a cast crank, spinning 7500 may be the first thing to fail. It could very well have broken the crank if the top of the rod stabbed the camshaft while it was flailing around.

    Not saying that is what had to happen. But I don't like the looks of the pin and piston pin bore. You have a better view than I do, but you owe it to yourselve to check it out closer. JMHO
    Bob can you call me? (316) 209-9444

    I think I understand what you're saying and I noticed the pin area in the broken piston but the pins all rotated fine in the other pistons so I assumed it was caused when it came apart. However I couldn't find anything suspicious about the crank and it would seem like it would need something to cause it to just break. If the piston broke first that would explain it better to me. The bearings are fine and the big end of the rods are not discolored. I suspected a spun bearing but there weren't any. I use the Brad Penn 50w racing oil and it was fresh so I doubt that was it. My cam is broken as well just behind the main of the broken crank journal. I take it you feel the 5 & 6 journal is a strange place to break, dampners cause breaks up by #1 and loads cause the breaks by #8 so this is unusual then I take it and that's why you suspect pin flex started this mess?

    Thanks for your input
    Loren
    Last edited by Carnivalride; 07-15-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  12. #10
    gn7
    gn7 is offline
    Senior Member gn7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    25,975

    Default

    Sure, but I will have to make it tomorrow about 8-9 pacfic time if thats ok. I tried to sent you a PM but the web page shows an error each time.



    100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

  13. #11
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Sure, but I will have to make it tomorrow about 8-9 pacfic time if thats ok. I tried to sent you a PM but the web page shows an error each time.
    That's fine, I tried to PM the phone number as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  14. #12
    Already miss the 310/562 2manymustangs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    13,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivalride View Post
    Well I knew I was pushing the cast crank too hard but it kept passing magnaflux during inspections so I was trying to get one more season out of it before I changed it out. As you can see that was a big mistake on my part. IMO with care they live well at 7200rpm but they don't like 7500rpm. I will say that whirlaways make for very nice shut downs and recommend them for everybody.







    Here's the link to my photobucket if you're interested in all the carnage pictures

    Carnage 7_2_2011 pictures by carnivalride - Photobucket
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! You musta been ROCKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  15. #13
    just a ski boat with bark Carnivalride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Derby, Kansas
    Posts
    2,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2manymustangs View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! You musta been ROCKIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ya it was running the best it ever had that day...........
    Quote Originally Posted by gn7 View Post
    Carnivalride, you really need to find some other hobby. You have no talent for this boat thing

  16. #14
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,271

    Default

    Ditto to what GN siad except I don't think it was from pin flex, I think that pin had a clearance issue to start with. Although not my favorite piston, the Probes are decent stuff and should hold up to 7500rpm. That looks like one side of that piston was tight. I'll also mention IMO you need to get rid of that bolt on windge tray.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95