More power wanted!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 15

Thread:
More power wanted!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default More power wanted!

    Need to improve or replace the 330hp 454.
    The boat is a 1991 21' Conquest with the 7.4/Bravo One. Not looking to go cazy just need 100 or so more horses. Any suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00078-20110610-1758.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	125366

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member wildstreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    520

    Default Keep it simple

    Hyd. roller cam, roller rockers, better heads, upgrade exhaust. all can add power and 450hp is a really ez number to get to. got pics of the motor? what type of exhaust does it have now? every improvement you do to get more air/fuel in and exhaust out will make more power.

  4. #3
    steelcomp was here
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    n/e TN
    Posts
    26,271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by motoxlrg View Post
    Need to improve or replace the 330hp 454.
    The boat is a 1991 21' Conquest with the 7.4/Bravo One. Not looking to go cazy just need 100 or so more horses. Any suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00078-20110610-1758.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	125366
    Easiest thing is a little more compression, performance cyl. head rebuild, camshaft upgrade, and intake/exhaust upgrades.
    If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
    Acts 2:38, the perfect answer to the perfect question.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    As above, not hard to do at all. You can do a bunch of research and order piece by piece, or the really easy option is to get a proven package. I like the process of researching and creating the combination, but if you just want the easy answer...
    Edelbrock Performance Package

  7. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstreak View Post
    Hyd. roller cam, roller rockers, better heads, upgrade exhaust. all can add power and 450hp is a really ez number to get to. got pics of the motor? what type of exhaust does it have now? every improvement you do to get more air/fuel in and exhaust out will make more power.
    Poor picture but here it is...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boat Motor.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	95.9 KB 
ID:	125688

    Only thing not stock is the carb.

  8. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steelcomp View Post
    Easiest thing is a little more compression, performance cyl. head rebuild, camshaft upgrade, and intake/exhaust upgrades.
    I've got the basics down, I guess I'm really looking for what combos work with a bravo one. Or what combos yield the best bang for the buck. Never messed with a outdrive boat before. Don't want a boat that is not reliable. Not interested in making big horepower and tearing up the outdrive.

  9. #7
    Senior Member EVILFORCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,180

    Default

    Easy. Cam,carb, intake and exhaust. Easy 100-150 there. Let us know what you do.
    No Fool Like A Old Fool is there?

  10. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
    As above, not hard to do at all. You can do a bunch of research and order piece by piece, or the really easy option is to get a proven package. I like the process of researching and creating the combination, but if you just want the easy answer...
    Edelbrock Performance Package
    Never had any issues with edelrock stuff. Chevy trusts them, why shouldn't I ??? Anyone ever used a set of their marine heads?


    Side note... Launched out of Del's and skied Victoria for years, I miss cold delta mornings!
    Delta people are great people!

  11. #9
    cfm
    cfm is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Budweiser View Post
    As above, not hard to do at all. You can do a bunch of research and order piece by piece, or the really easy option is to get a proven package. I like the process of researching and creating the combination, but if you just want the easy answer...
    Edelbrock Performance Package
    Have you ever installed that kit on a low compression 330hp/454 I/O with wet exhaust ?

    Here are the cam specs:

    Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
    Basic Operating RPM Range 1,500-6,500
    Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 240
    Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 246
    Duration at 050 inch Lift 240 int./246 exh.
    Advertised Intake Duration 300
    Advertised Exhaust Duration 306
    Advertised Duration 300 int./306 exh.
    Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.560 in.
    Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.573 in.
    Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.560 int./0.573 exh.
    Lobe Separation (degrees) 112

  12. #10
    Senior Member VDRIVERACING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    I'd step up the compression a wee bit, drop in a 1/4" stroker crank, and go up a step or two on the cam lift (mild increase). This won't kill the outdrive, but give you noticeable improvement in pulling power. It's amazing what a little more lift and a stroker crank can do to wake up a big block.

    Essentially you go from a 454 t a 496 which is "smooth" power, not rpm crazy...

    OK Bob, Steel, give him the part numbers!

    Ps. I have used Edlebrock combo's on street cars and they were very effective. I used their cam, intake, carb combo and had my guy do the heads. If you are in the Bellflower area, I know someone who can help you with your project and keep it "under control".
    Last edited by VDRIVERACING; 08-01-2011 at 06:01 PM.

  13. #11
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cfm View Post
    Have you ever installed that kit on a low compression 330hp/454 I/O with wet exhaust ?

    Here are the cam specs:

    Cam Style Hydraulic flat tappet
    Basic Operating RPM Range 1,500-6,500
    Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift 240
    Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift 246
    Duration at 050 inch Lift 240 int./246 exh.
    Advertised Intake Duration 300
    Advertised Exhaust Duration 306
    Advertised Duration 300 int./306 exh.
    Intake Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.560 in.
    Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.573 in.
    Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio 0.560 int./0.573 exh.
    Lobe Separation (degrees) 112
    No, I never have. I'm certainly not as experienced as many of you guys here and I'd personally put a combination together part by part after researching and consulting you guys. Although, a package like that will offer results with little or no research time if that's what the guy is looking for. The trade off for convenience is it may not be absolutely optimum. IMO that cam is aimed a little too high in the RPM range to provide optimum performance on a I/O boat. But again, there are very very knowledgeable people here that are able to verify or disprove my opinion. And I'm very OK with it. I have learned more here on the boards than I knew to begin with... and I thought I knew it all! LOL

  14. #12
    Or Seth, either one Budweiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Tower Park Resort, Lodi, CA
    Posts
    3,270

    Default

    Or...
    Just put a ProCharger on it. 4-5psi should get you the 100hp your looking for. Bolt it on and take it off if you decide to sell the boat and put it on the next.

    Keeping your target rpm in the 5000 to 5500 range will simply require more air in the engine. Without forced induction, your biggest restrictions are your heads (assuming they're peanut port heads) and the stock exhaust.

    Options options options, which to choose?

  15. #13
    Senior Member bp298's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    LHC
    Posts
    6,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post
    I'd step up the compression a wee bit, drop in a 1/4" stroker crank, and go up a step or two on the cam lift (mild increase). This won't kill the outdrive, but give you noticeable improvement in pulling power. It's amazing what a little more lift and a stroker crank can do to wake up a big block.

    Essentially you go from a 454 t a 496 which is "smooth" power, not rpm crazy...
    "essentially", a 1/4" additional stroke would make it a 482. it would have to be bored .060 over to make it a 496, which isn't always necessary.

  16. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VDRIVERACING View Post
    I'd step up the compression a wee bit, drop in a 1/4" stroker crank, and go up a step or two on the cam lift (mild increase). This won't kill the outdrive, but give you noticeable improvement in pulling power. It's amazing what a little more lift and a stroker crank can do to wake up a big block.

    Essentially you go from a 454 t a 496 which is "smooth" power, not rpm crazy...

    OK Bob, Steel, give him the part numbers!

    Ps. I have used Edlebrock combo's on street cars and they were very effective. I used their cam, intake, carb combo and had my guy do the heads. If you are in the Bellflower area, I know someone who can help you with your project and keep it "under control".
    I work at LAX, who's the guy in Bellflower?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95