motor problem
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 15

Thread:
motor problem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default motor problem

    I am new at jet boats.Ihave a454 roller moter when i put in in the water and run the r p m up to 2800 it sounds like i put a screwdriver in a fan it stops at 3000 .It will not make noise out of the water,hope you can help.
    Thanks Rick W.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member hellnback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Dallas TX
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Busted impeller?
    It may be OLD ,it may be Slow ... but at least it's MOBILE !!!

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    corona calif
    Posts
    1,119

    Default Noise

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Wilhite View Post
    I am new at jet boats.Ihave a454 roller moter when i put in in the water and run the r p m up to 2800 it sounds like i put a screwdriver in a fan it stops at 3000 .It will not make noise out of the water,hope you can help.
    Thanks Rick W.
    Does the boat have a hard time getting on plane? Start with the basics, check the flywheel and see if is broken and hitting the starter gear. Make sure the alternator in not hitting the adjuster bracket. Iwould check all of the obvious and move on from there. I have seen beer cans under the engine hitting the flywheel causing weird noise's. Does this noise seem to be engine releated? How long have you owned the boat? Remove the hand hole cover and see if the impeller is making contact with the suction housing this will tell you if the front pump bearing is failing. Are there any other indicators that you can help me with?

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    I have cheched the fly wheel it is ok, it gets on plain good I TOOK THE INSP plate OFF AND IT IS TIGHT.Cude the timeing be off,I ran the rpm 4500 and noise in the water

  7. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    corona calif
    Posts
    1,119

    Default Timing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Wilhite View Post
    I have cheched the fly wheel it is ok, it gets on plain good I TOOK THE INSP plate OFF AND IT IS TIGHT.Cude the timeing be off,I ran the rpm 4500 and noise in the water
    I doubt that it is a timing issue. What is your timing set at? Can you isolate the engine from the pump by disconneting the driveline, or is it a 3 point mount setup. Do you have good oil pressure?

  8. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    corona calif
    Posts
    1,119

    Default Exhaust

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Wilhite View Post
    I have cheched the fly wheel it is ok, it gets on plain good I TOOK THE INSP plate OFF AND IT IS TIGHT.Cude the timeing be off,I ran the rpm 4500 and noise in the water
    What kind of exhaust are you running?

  9. #7
    Senior Member 67weiman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Surprise, AZ
    Posts
    985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greg shoemaker:1809722
    I have seen beer cans under the engine hitting the flywheel causing weird noise's.
    Classic...Lmao

  10. #8
    Senior Member SoldHondaBoughtHondo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lake Havasu az.
    Posts
    4,318

    Default

    A few things i have learned about locating noises over the years.
    Hearing in right ear is worse than left, the only way i actually notice is with headphones on

    (and when chasing noises...i am wrong so often now i just head for the place where the noise isn't coming from)

    Adjust the balance until is sounds even and flip them around.

    A mechanics stethoscope really help.
    When you can establish exactly where a noise is coming from it can save a lot of time.
    Lickem and stickem ear plugs help a lot..they kill exhaust noise better that mufflers although the valve train noise from a solid roller cam with .030 lash and tin covers sounds plenty rude.A rod bearing going away at 4k rpm sounds interesting...until you realize what it really is.
    A length of hose stuck in you ear works well, so does a long screwdriver with one end stuck in your ear.
    The list of things that can make weird noises is extensive and it always a good idea to check the usual stuff first as long as you don't need to take it all apart.
    The more info you can provide the better..Is it getting worse/motor hot/cold motor under load or not. It might help if you posted your location, there are a lot of helpful people here, someone might want to stop by and lend you an ear.
    "A liberal paradise would be a place where everybody has
    guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free
    education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free
    utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or
    not, such a place does, indeed, exist: It's called prison."

    Sheriff Joe Arpaio
    Maricopa County Sheriff's Office

  11. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greg shoemaker View Post
    What kind of exhaust are you running?
    over the transom

  12. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greg shoemaker View Post
    What kind of exhaust are you running?
    it is over the transum i have put in new u joints .I HAVE USED A MECHAINC STETHISCOPE ON THE JET AND THE MOTOR WHEN IT WAS MAKEING THE NOISE AND CUDE NOT PINPOINT WERE IT WAS AT .If you take the boat out and run it at 3300 rpm it will do a grate job .This is driveing me crazy i dont want to blow up the motor or the jet.Rick W

  13. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoldHondaBoughtHondo View Post
    A few things i have learned about locating noises over the years.
    Hearing in right ear is worse than left, the only way i actually notice is with headphones on

    (and when chasing noises...i am wrong so often now i just head for the place where the noise isn't coming from)

    Adjust the balance until is sounds even and flip them around.

    A mechanics stethoscope really help.
    When you can establish exactly where a noise is coming from it can save a lot of time.
    Lickem and stickem ear plugs help a lot..they kill exhaust noise better that mufflers although the valve train noise from a solid roller cam with .030 lash and tin covers sounds plenty rude.A rod bearing going away at 4k rpm sounds interesting...until you realize what it really is.
    A length of hose stuck in you ear works well, so does a long screwdriver with one end stuck in your ear.
    The list of things that can make weird noises is extensive and it always a good idea to check the usual stuff first as long as you don't need to take it all apart.
    The more info you can provide the better..Is it getting worse/motor hot/cold motor under load or not. It might help if you posted your location, there are a lot of helpful people here, someone might want to stop by and lend you an ear.
    MADISON in on the Oiho river.Rick

  14. #12
    Senior Member hellnback's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lake Dallas TX
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SoldHondaBoughtHondo View Post
    A few things i have learned about locating noises over the years.
    Hearing in right ear is worse than left, the only way i actually notice is with headphones on

    (and when chasing noises...i am wrong so often now i just head for the place where the noise isn't coming from)

    Adjust the balance until is sounds even and flip them around.

    A mechanics stethoscope really help.
    When you can establish exactly where a noise is coming from it can save a lot of time.
    Lickem and stickem ear plugs help a lot..they kill exhaust noise better that mufflers although the valve train noise from a solid roller cam with .030 lash and tin covers sounds plenty rude.A rod bearing going away at 4k rpm sounds interesting...until you realize what it really is.
    A length of hose stuck in you ear works well, so does a long screwdriver with one end stuck in your ear.
    The list of things that can make weird noises is extensive and it always a good idea to check the usual stuff first as long as you don't need to take it all apart.
    The more info you can provide the better..Is it getting worse/motor hot/cold motor under load or not. It might help if you posted your location, there are a lot of helpful people here, someone might want to stop by and lend you an ear.
    Needs a disclaimer.... don't put the pointy end of the screwdriver in your ear.....
    It may be OLD ,it may be Slow ... but at least it's MOBILE !!!

  15. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    14

    Default motor problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Wilhite View Post
    MADISON in on the Oiho river.Rick
    do you any body in this part of the usa that i can take it to to get some help ????

  16. #14
    Senior Member H20MOFO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,288

    Default

    Might be a long shot. But I had a strange intermittent noise at the start of last season. Mine turned out to be the new starter I put in was a tad too close to the flex plate....it wouldnt always hit but when it did it wasnt a purdy sound. Cheap/easy enough to check.
    Another Hot Boat refugee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95