1979 Centurion?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread:
1979 Centurion?

  1. #1
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default 1979 Centurion?

    Greg,
    Wondering if you know anything about Centurion boats? Looking at a 1979 18' on CL (pics included). I am curious as to your thoughts on the hull design & performance & how it might compare with other other designs of that were produced around then?
    Also curious as to why there don't seem to be many around?


    Thanks in advance.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00V0V_75izspYKDaL_600x450.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	807706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Z0Z_ajGPIWGltKl_600x450.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	807714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01313_gTwmnL7HpIn_600x450.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	807722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00S0S_2Je6LPxNv23_600x450.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	807698

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    corona calif
    Posts
    1,119

    Default Centurian Boats.

    Quote Originally Posted by garytcosta View Post
    Greg,
    Wondering if you know anything about Centurion boats? Looking at a 1979 18' on CL (pics included). I am curious as to your thoughts on the hull design & performance & how it might compare with other other designs of that were produced around then?
    Also curious as to why there don't seem to be many around?


    Thanks in advance.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00V0V_75izspYKDaL_600x450.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	807706Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00Z0Z_ajGPIWGltKl_600x450.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	807714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01313_gTwmnL7HpIn_600x450.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	807722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00S0S_2Je6LPxNv23_600x450.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	807698
    Never known for there jet boats this boat has a shallow V very similar to the Sanger super jet. Good boat for the lower river where the water is always good. We have a couple Sanger's running out of the shop and they run quite well. Have'nt seen this particular model does it have a flat keel or a radiused keel. With all of the 18's around during the 70's and 80's that were being built Centurian was not a not a real popular mfg. in So. Cal thus not a lot of boat sales here.

  4. #3
    Senior Member johnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    395

    Default Centurion

    This is a 1978, Full strnger fast hull, Handles great. Has a Delta bottom on this one. No rough water.
    Only seen a couple never in person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0010_zps085f6185.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	807786  

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Greg,

    Thanks for your thoughts, & insights. John, thanks for weighing in…

    Not sure if it's a flat or rounded keel. Only briefly talked to the owner, mostly to check if it's still available.
    Smooth water only boat, check. Lower river and local SoCal lakes? Would it be dicey to put that in at Parker, or Needles?
    If I was looking for a boat that would get me on the upper river, I'm guessing by your response that this wouldn't be it?

  7. #5
    Senior Member propless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clovis, Cali
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greg shoemaker View Post
    Never known for there jet boats this boat has a shallow V very similar to the Sanger super jet. Good boat for the lower river where the water is always good. We have a couple Sanger's running out of the shop and they run quite well. Have'nt seen this particular model does it have a flat keel or a radiused keel. With all of the 18's around during the 70's and 80's that were being built Centurian was not a not a real popular mfg. in So. Cal thus not a lot of boat sales here.
    Greg, if it helps with your recommendation. That's the same hull as the Brendella, same bottom as the T deck Hondo jets, I think even Cole sold a few. All of the ones I've seen in person had delta pads.

  8. #6
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by propless View Post
    Greg, if it helps with your recommendation. That's the same hull as the Brendella, same bottom as the T deck Hondo jets, I think even Cole sold a few. All of the ones I've seen in person had delta pads.
    That info helps. I have seen a Hondo t-deck hull, & it seemed to have a fairly large pad. Almost looked like a hybrid flat/vee? If this boat has a similar hull, then it might be a bit of a hand-full at higher speeds?

  9. #7
    Senior Member propless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clovis, Cali
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garytcosta View Post
    That info helps. I have seen a Hondo t-deck hull, & it seemed to have a fairly large pad. Almost looked like a hybrid flat/vee? If this boat has a similar hull, then it might be a bit of a hand-full at higher speeds?
    I've never owned one, but a few friends over the years have had the Brendella versions with jets and one Centurion with a V-drive. They always seemed to work well (fast, stable, nice manners) with moderate power. None of them ever had big power so I cant comment on "high speeds". I will say they are small inside, not much room for coolers, lake toys, kids, etc.

  10. #8
    Member garytcosta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    santa ana, CA
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by propless View Post
    I've never owned one, but a few friends over the years have had the Brendella versions with jets and one Centurion with a V-drive. They always seemed to work well (fast, stable, nice manners) with moderate power. None of them ever had big power so I cant comment on "high speeds". I will say they are small inside, not much room for coolers, lake toys, kids, etc.
    Good points.
    After hearing all this, I am pretty sure this boat is not the right fit for me. Probably need more of a 'v' hull to handle slightly more varied water conditions, & a bit more room in the interior.

    Thanks for all the advice!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95