Hooking up new alternator.... Need help!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 14 of 18

Thread:
Hooking up new alternator.... Need help!

  1. #1
    Member TooSober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, ca
    Posts
    83

    Default Hooking up new alternator.... Need help!

    I have been to every auto parts store and no one was able to test it to see if it is good so I just got a new one.

    My question is this.....There is only two wires that were hooked up to the old alt (in the pick orange and purple). I can not figure out where to hook it up on the new alt?

    I circled on the pic of the alt's which color wire was hooked and where. Thanks for the help

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alt pics2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	152365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alt wires.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	152366

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    The Man cordog009's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,788

    Default

    On the new one you only need the one that runs to the starter/battery cable connection. The other wire you have is probably the exciter wire, you don't need it with the 1-wire alternator.


    1984 Youngblood TX-19 SOLD

  4. #3
    Senior Member jimclauss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mickleton, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,622

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooSober View Post
    I have been to every auto parts store and no one was able to test it to see if it is good so I just got a new one.

    My question is this.....There is only two wires that were hooked up to the old alt (in the pick orange and purple). I can not figure out where to hook it up on the new alt?

    I circled on the pic of the alt's which color wire was hooked and where. Thanks for the help

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alt pics2.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	152365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alt wires.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	152366
    Orange wire goes on the top left 12v lug check and make sure that is your 12V with a meter should be hot all the time the purple is the exciter wire but you won't need it with a one wire alt.
    Last edited by jimclauss; 03-11-2012 at 05:48 PM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Cant tell from the pics but is the a"new one " you bought an Automotive Alternator? (not a Marine)

  7. #5
    Member TooSober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, ca
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Correct it is not a marine alt. I was told its ok to run an auto one it just will not last as long. Am I incorrect?

  8. #6
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooSober View Post
    Correct it is not a marine alt. I was told its ok to run an auto one it just will not last as long. Am I incorrect?
    I will respectively disagree on both those points , Marine alternators have protections built in to avoid bilge exposions and although lots of folks run them with 'sucess' we don't recommend it , equaly important likley is if you hook up the large red lead to the battery circuit and violet excite wire to the "excite" spade on that auto unit you may have a situation where once started your engine will not shut off (even) if you turn of the ignition switch or disconnect the battery in some cases , if this occurs you'll have to yank the coil wire to kill the motor http://img.performanceboats.com/smilies/confused.gif you may need to solder or crimp a radio shack diode to direct voltage in to the excite circuit but preclude feed back out to the boats ignition via the same FWIW Marine approved "one wire" Alternators are available from many of the vendors and sponsors here on the boards Tom


    after thought ...Got a hunch the auto unit may have 3 wires (1 large stud and 2 small spades)? in which case the "run on would apply or it could be an automotive self exciting one wire in whcih case it will work sans the saftey issues

  9. #7
    Member TooSober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, ca
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Well after doing some research online about having an automotive alternator in my boat, I am certain that it is not safe with a cover over the motor. I don’t think that i am willing to save a $100 to risk blowing up and potentially hurting people on the boat. So on that note anyone want to but an Alternator LOL?

  10. #8
    AKA OhOneWS6 Last Mohican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    2,637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooSober View Post
    Well after doing some research online about having an automotive alternator in my boat, I am certain that it is not safe with a cover over the motor. I don’t think that i am willing to save a $100 to risk blowing up and potentially hurting people on the boat. So on that note anyone want to but an Alternator LOL?
    Can't you return it?

  11. #9
    Member TooSober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, ca
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Well i actually bought it over a year ago online to have when needed. So Being that long i doubt i can return it.

  12. #10
    Member TooSober's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake Forest, ca
    Posts
    83

    Default

    so now that i will be purchasing a new marine alt, any suggestions on which one or how many AMPS i should be getting

    Engine info- 454 BBC stock

  13. #11
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooSober View Post
    so now that i will be purchasing a new marine alt, any suggestions on which one or how many AMPS i should be getting

    Engine info- 454 BBC stock
    Sorry to be the wet blanket here Bro just want to see you be safe !

  14. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Check out www.dbelectrical.com for Marine alternators & starters. Good products at a great price.

  15. #13
    Senior Member Fonz69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Frozen Tundra, WI
    Posts
    620

    Default

    I would look around for a place that can test your old alternator for you....it still might be fine

    I would take a look at that wire coming from your battery it looks messed up on the end in your picture....bad wire means no charge back to battery!

  16. #14
    tintingsandiego krusn56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Cant you just ad the screen to the back of it? I have replaced mine and swapped out the screen and run it under a cover.
    http://www.marine-alternator.com/imscreen.htm
    Last edited by krusn56; 03-12-2012 at 07:47 AM.
    Made In The Shade

    Custom Window Tinting

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Tags for this Thread

Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95