Ride Plate
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread:
Ride Plate

  1. #1
    Member BIG JOHNSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default Ride Plate

    I got a 21' Ultra LX 390hp Marine Power BBC with a fresh MPD Dominator. Place diverter, HP Mini droop and loader grate. The pump is not setback, hand-hole is inside the boat.

    I wanna make a ride plate for it. Any pointers? Gonna start with +1* of keel. I am going to bend the plate to match the curvature of the keel and plate will end just after the snoot begins. Boat runs 60 on gps, not a race boat by any shot, just lookin for that little bit more speed and efficiency. Kicking myself for not having Jack sharpen vanes on the bowl and put an inducer in... Only had scraps in my checking account at the time.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

  2. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member jetboatperformance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Atascadero Calif
    Posts
    7,464

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG JOHNSON View Post
    I got a 21' Ultra LX 390hp Marine Power BBC with a fresh MPD Dominator. Place diverter, HP Mini droop and loader grate. The pump is not setback, hand-hole is inside the boat.

    I wanna make a ride plate for it. Any pointers? Gonna start with +1* of keel. I am going to bend the plate to match the curvature of the keel and plate will end just after the snoot begins. Boat runs 60 on gps, not a race boat by any shot, just lookin for that little bit more speed and efficiency. Kicking myself for not having Jack sharpen vanes on the bowl and put an inducer in... Only had scraps in my checking account at the time.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Are your wanting to "fashion/fabricate" a "bolt on" ride plate versus machining the intake ? Thanks Tom

  4. #3
    Member BIG JOHNSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jetboatperformance View Post
    Are you wanting to "fashion/fabricate" a bolt on ride plate versus machining the intake ?
    I bought a piece of 24"x24" aluminum 1/4", but if there's a big, red easy button I'm ears..

    What does machining the intake entail? What would be the benefit either route with my setup? Thanks for the response.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BIG JOHNSON; 04-14-2012 at 09:51 PM.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    PerformanceBoats.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Senior Member DuaneHTP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Shell Knob, MO
    Posts
    1,379

    Default Easy button

    Check your PM.
    I sent you a big red easy button.

    Duane HTP

  7. #5
    Senior Member rogerroost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Maple Ridge B.C. Canada
    Posts
    536

  8. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BIG JOHNSON View Post
    I got a 21' Ultra LX 390hp Marine Power BBC with a fresh MPD Dominator. Place diverter, HP Mini droop and loader grate. The pump is not setback, hand-hole is inside the boat.

    I wanna make a ride plate for it. Any pointers? Gonna start with +1* of keel. I am going to bend the plate to match the curvature of the keel and plate will end just after the snoot begins. Boat runs 60 on gps, not a race boat by any shot, just lookin for that little bit more speed and efficiency. Kicking myself for not having Jack sharpen vanes on the bowl and put an inducer in... Only had scraps in my checking account at the time.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    you dont need to "bend" anything, look it over and make it fit properly. besides, i'm sure jack set the pump up to what you have motorwise. If you had a question, just ask him. I'm sure he took care of your bowl with the rebuild. As far as an inducer with that boat and 390hp, waste of time. I dont understand what the mini droop is doing on that boat though?? Run a big droop as that little one is really just for lite boats or race boats for a fine tune.
    do yourself a favor when you get extra cash, up the HP and just play around with other loaders to fine tune. Then you should be happier.
    good luck

  9. #7
    Member BIG JOHNSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritof76Cobra View Post
    you dont need to "bend" anything, look it over and make it fit properly. besides, i'm sure jack set the pump up to what you have motorwise. If you had a question, just ask him. I'm sure he took care of your bowl with the rebuild. As far as an inducer with that boat and 390hp, waste of time. I dont understand what the mini droop is doing on that boat though?? Run a big droop as that little one is really just for lite boats or race boats for a fine tune.
    do yourself a favor when you get extra cash, up the HP and just play around with other loaders to fine tune. Then you should be happier.
    good luck
    Boat came with a new mini droop. Jack gave me the option of bowl detail and inducer, but included that with 390hp and the boat being a big, heavy turd, that I wouldn't notice any measurable difference... He said the inducer if anything, would load the pump better and have a more positive midrange and get outa the hole better. He cleaned up the vanes where rocks made dings and heli coiled some sloppy bolt holes. He did tell me that there's no harm in trying a wedge or experimental goodies to see what happens. Good guy, I'd refer him to anyone.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

  10. #8
    Member BIG JOHNSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default

    This is what I'm workin with. Is this major surgery to machine the intake?

    I should've thought of this when the pump was out...

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1334851796751.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	156750   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1334851813244.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	156751  
    Last edited by BIG JOHNSON; 04-19-2012 at 09:14 AM.

  11. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    OC, CA
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Best to call Jack and talk it over with him.

  12. #10
    Senior Member nick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fullerton & Water Wheel Resort
    Posts
    726

    Default

    "Machining the intake" requires the following steps:
    1. Pull Motor
    2. Pull Entire Pump
    3. Remove intake from bottom of boat

    You can then send the intake machined it for a ride plate and possibly a shoe if you'd like. The intake is thru-bolted and expoxied to the bottom of your boat, it requires a good amount of heat to remove it from the boat.

    As previously stated, you should really check with your pump builder to see if your application truly calls for this before making the leap, it's a decent amount of work.

    Hope this info helps.

  13. #11
    Senior Member Futs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Orange CA, Big River
    Posts
    4,549

    Default

    Get that mini droop off of there. Get a full droop. The mini is used for lo profile intakes. If you want to trade, i have a berk droop.

  14. #12
    Member BIG JOHNSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nick View Post
    "Machining the intake" requires the following steps:
    1. Pull Motor
    2. Pull Entire Pump
    3. Remove intake from bottom of boat

    You can then send the intake machined it for a ride plate and possibly a shoe if you'd like. The intake is thru-bolted and expoxied to the bottom of your boat, it requires a good amount of heat to remove it from the boat.

    As previously stated, you should really check with your pump builder to see if your application truly calls for this before making the leap, it's a decent amount of work.

    Hope this info helps.
    Thanks for the insight, its got a good runnin motor and won't be pulled until it tells me to pull it. Might yank the heads after this season cuz its never been done. I guess its back to the drawing board on making my own or swapping for the PD droop with bolt on ride plate.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

  15. #13
    Member BIG JOHNSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Futs View Post
    Get that mini droop off of there. Get a full droop. The mini is used for lo profile intakes. If you want to trade, i have a berk droop.
    Thanks, if I get a full droop, I'd want the one with ability to bolt on a ride plate and probably keep the mini until I've tested the big droop.

    Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in


Digg This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95